Fordmods Logo

bf mk3 wagon interior upgrade 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: bf mk3 wagon interior upgrade
Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Hello I have just purchased an 08 bf mk3 xt egas wagon and I wish to upgrade the interior possibly to fairlane Ghia spec by finding a wrecked Ghia and stripping everything I need from it what are peoples thoughts about doing this

Post subject: Re: bf mk3 wagon interior upgrade
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:35 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

As someone that is part way through this, I can tell you it's definitely not easy. The wiring looms are significantly different between the wagon and sedan, and there are subtle differences between LPG and Petrol variants also.

Because it's an XT (as are all BF3's), you only have a Lo-Series loom behind the dash, so you're missing a few wires here and there. 2 of these wires go from the BEM to the memory module under the driver's seat for example, and illumination for the dash clock if you get it.

If you are serious about doing this, and want to keep the car driveable while you invest the time in it, I would suggest the following for your shopping list on top of the interior itself:

1. Full spare loom from BF2/3 wagon - you want from the kick panels all the way back
2. Full loom from the Fairmont/Fairlane from kick panels all the way back
3. Fairmont/Fairlane door looms
4. Try to get the loom behind the dash, will make things easier.
5. If you are putting in side airbags, you need a different RCM ( I think model "B") from same era vehicle.
6. If you don't have them in your wagon already, power window regulators for the rears is a nice touch, and will probably be needed if you get a full fairmont/lane interior.
7. If you get #4, then you may as well get the dual-zone motor and shafts and put those in while dash is out.
8. You'll want the LH mirror with temp sensor

Try to get the Fairlane gear out of a BF if possible. BA's have some connectors that are different (door lock one is the main one, can be cut/soldered).

The BF3 pedal box is the same as the FG, not BF2 and earlier, just to make things interesting!

Make sure you have the schematics all printed out, and what I would do is de-pin the wagon specific wiring from the wagon loom, and insert it into the Fairmont/lane one. I did a cut/shut and it's not working out all that well - currently cant operate my mirrors or driver's seat, and the driver's seat belt doesn't register.

I've since bought a complete wagon loom and I'm looking into getting a BF Fairlane Ghia loom to start again.

Most importantly - READ READ READ! There are quite a few knowledgeable people around, both on these forums and at fordforums.com.au (Linz and Gothefalcon spring to mind). Lukeyson and auMatt are the electrics gurus too from what I've read

Here's mine http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11411277 - no recent updates though, but no progress either....

Good luck!

Post subject: Re: bf mk3 wagon interior upgrade
Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

Since ditching the olf EF's I have been considering upgrading the BF3 wagon too. I was disappointed that Fraud never made an up spec version of the wagon on the later models which I really think contributed the their waning popularity. I can honestly say since I own both a Territory and a wagon from similar years, the wagon lacks everything you expect in a modern car. I NEED drink holders for the back doors, my kids are messy. I NEED USB audio. Can I upgrade to FG2 ICC? On a tight budget of course. Better change my avatar sine the EF's are long gone.

I picked up rear door electric window mechs so that will be completed soon and a set of BA Ghia black door cards which I am not so sure about. I will give them a good clean up and see what they look like. I really hate the silver on the dash as it reflects the sun in your eyes at the wrong angle.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]