Fordmods Logo

Utes not starting!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Utes not starting!!
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon Ute AUII

QLD, Australia

Hi lads. I'm site you've seen it before but I had a quick look and couldn't find what I need.

I've just bought an AU falcon ute to compete in a dirt tack Comp coming up in a month! The guy I bought it off reckons it was running but had just snapped the main belt. So I brought her home, noticed a bent pulley on the water pump and cracked pulley on the p/steer pump. Replaced both, put a belt on. And No. It cranks like a breeze but absolutely no ignition. Not even a titter.

I'm wondering if, when the belt let go, it's knocked a connection off a sensor somewhere?

When I tried to start it, it had no coolant. They don't have a low coolant shut off do they?

Any help appreciated boys. I've never owned a ford before so I've got buckleys of solvin it myself?
Cheers
Luke

Post subject: Re: Utes not starting!!
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Don't know if it's worth mentioning, but I have just had the battery out to charge it up.

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

What does the immobilisation light do?

No they don't... The Au has a run hot strategy... If they lose all the water and then get hot the computer will shut the cylinders down one by one to turn them into air pumps to cool the engine... Sort of a fail safe to get you home...

There is sensor in behind the harmonic balancer... It senses crank rotations... Has a two pin plug on it... Picks up off the teeth on the harmonic balancer... There is a VR sensor in the front of the block and it's lead runs around the side of the block and plugs in under the thermostat housing... It is usually covered by metal shield to protect the sensor and wiring as it goes around the corner...

If you can tell us if it is missing spark or fuel or both we can help more to determine what is wrong in regard to which it isn't getting...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Not sure how to check fuel pressure on these beasts, but I pulled No.1 plug and got no blue. So it could be the crank angle sensor you think?? I'm just baffled as to how it ran one minute, threw a belt, then after its all replaced. Won't start???

The immobiliser light flashes with Ign off. With ign on, it holds solid for about 1 second then goes off. Tried starting in Neutral and Park. The fuel pump primes for a few seconds when you hit the key.

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Could be a crank angle sensor... Does it look intact? They're just a VR type sensor so they shouldn't really fail...

Best thing you can do is find someone who has a code scanner and see if you get can codes pulled? It may throw up a particular sensor to look for...

Doesn't sound immobilised...

Obviously coil pack is plugged in all leads are on properly? (The obvious but easily overlooked stuff)

Throwing a belt shouldn't cause it to stop... They will run with no fan belt... Things around the motor are OK? No blown fuses in the engine bay or under the dash (use a test light not visual inspection)?

With a DTC code it's hard to know what else to try...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

How do you test fuel pressure on these bad boys?

I have teed up a scan tool for this arv but have heard they dont read well on the Falcons???

Luke

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Wagon 6

NSW, Australia

I've got a similar story on my EL not firing.
What was the problem mate? Solved ok?

EL6 :(

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]