Fordmods Logo

Crankshafts are they interchangeable 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Crankshafts are they interchangeable
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:32 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Hi,

I currently have 2 bottom ends for my XG turbo falcon running the EB style engine.

At the moment I have an ef bottom end in it from a wreckers however all the bearings are knackered and it massive bottom end noise. The pistons and bores look fine.

I have my old bottom end which was previously reconditioned by a shop. It is an EB bottom end which I suffered massive blow by with and eventually an oil ring went and flooded cylinder 1. When I pulled it out there is a bigger than normal gap around every piston leading me to believe that they have bored the block slightly and used oversized rings which have now let go. Crank and bearings are all good.

I was thinking about putting my reconditioned crank and rods into the ef engine block and using the ef pistons and just doing rings and bearings. (unfortunately I am on a budget these days due to having a kid)

My question is are the crankshafts interchangeable between the EB falcon motor and the EF falcon motor, do they share the same part number? or am I going to run into other problems?

I appreciate any help you guys can give. Thanks.

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Post subject: Re: Crankshafts are they interchangeable
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:49 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Why use the EB crank?

Is the crank from the EF stuffed or is it just main bearings?

If it is just bearings, use the EF Crank.

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:01 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

I haven't looked at the crank in the ef block yet, I just imagined with the amount of noise coming from it then most likely the crank would be stuffed aswell. Fingers crossed it is good. I was just wondering worst case scenario that the cranks might be interchangeable to save on the $300 machining cost.

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:05 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

I haven't looked at the crank in the ef block yet, I just imagined with the amount of noise coming from it then most likely the crank would be stuffed aswell. Fingers crossed it is good. I was just wondering worst case scenario that the cranks might be interchangeable to save on the $300 machining cost.

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:43 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

The EF crank has more counterweights making for a smoother reving engine. It does not rev any harder or faster, just smoother. Yes, you can use it in an earlier block with no issues. I did so a few years ago when building an EF XR with an ED block. Just used EF rotating assembly.at least get it linished though..

I have a car.

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Ahh okay from that last comment, I am guessing an earlier EB crank plus the rotating assembly should work in the EF engine block then if it works the other way?

Just gives me options in case the EF crank is in bad condition.

Post subject: Re: Crankshafts are they interchangeable.
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Hi Guys,

I just stripped down my bottom end and found that on the bottom of my pistons is 3900 stamped aswell as the number 11 and TF2 and brand name MAHLE.

I'm not sure what should be on the bottom of a piston out of a 4 litre but I am thinking that this means my bottom end is a 3.9 litre and not a 4 litre.

Therefore would my 3.9 litre crank be able to be fitted into an EF block with the ef rods and pistons? I have looked at my 3.9 litre crank and it is pretty much perfect and the bearings look almost brand so I want to use it if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:54 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

they are interchangeable but I would keep the ef crank, more counter weights and are balanced better..
in saying that the crank will have casting numbers to identify it, also 3.9 cranks are hollow..
either way the 3.9 and 4.0 have the same stroke. the 4.0 is pretty much a 3.9 bored 40 thou....

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Thanks Troyman.

Also I am trying to work out what block I have as it is not the original one with the car and had a reconditioned motor put in at some stage.

The block markings are 91da-6015-AA. The pistons have 3900 marked on the underside and 11 (which I believe to mean 11cc). Are these 3.9 litre EA pistons. If can these be used in a 4 litre block with the correct rings?

The crank also has 91da-6303-AA part number aswell.

Could it be a 4 litre with 3.9 pistons in it?

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:48 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Saltez! wrote:
Thanks Troyman.

Also I am trying to work out what block I have as it is not the original one with the car and had a reconditioned motor put in at some stage.

The block markings are 91da-6015-AA. The pistons have 3900 marked on the underside and 11 (which I believe to mean 11cc). Are these 3.9 litre EA pistons. If can these be used in a 4 litre block with the correct rings?

The crank also has 91da-6303-AA part number aswell.

Could it be a 4 litre with 3.9 pistons in it?

91da is a eb 4.0l. so it is a 4.0,
the 3900 might just be the piston series or casting..

even if it was a 3.9, unless there oversized you cant fit them into a 4.0 block as they would be to small...

anyway look on top of the pistons for a number eg, .020 means they are 4.0l 20 thou oversize,.040- 40 thou oversise ect

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

On the top of the pistons it has "RA2864x100" and below that it has "MID 0.03"

I can't see any other markings anywhere else. Any idea if they are standard?

I also have broken the ring lands on one of the pistons from what I am guessing is a bad tune on the turbo.

If they are standard I have a set of pistons in an EF block that I was hoping might be able to go into this block?

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

either a bad tune or the ring gaps could have been too tight

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:13 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

I have stripped my bottom end and taken it to a machine shop to bebored 20 thou, honed, decked, acid dipped. I have told him it is a turbo motor and he is supplying new 20 thou pistons and moly rings.

When you say the ring gap might have been too tight. Do I need to ask him for something in particular when it comes to the ring gaps. I am pretty sure he just looked it up in a book and is going to order the rings that way which would be standard engine spec.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:05 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Ring gap is the gap between the rings when they are fitted. There is a spec to suit each application an some times the gaps need to be opened slightly to suit.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]