Fordmods Logo

Project XG-FPV DOHC Barra 182 

Page 3 of 30 [ 449 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next

Post subject: Re: Project XG-FPV DOHC Barra 182
Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EF-XR6/XG-6/XE-V8- project

Hope I got this right/quick video of engine running http://youtu.be/AV-XzahcBDk will still be adding and editing thread.

XG DOHC-BARRA 182/Turbo kit/20% Underdrive and BA 4-SPEED + Tiptronic shifter

https://youtube.com/channel/UCaRUQ10of3FlOuSpvfapOtA

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

GrannyFalcon82 wrote:
Looking good Johnny,

Awesome to see another detailed thread, the Ford modding community in general need more of this knowledge for those wanting to attempt it themselves. As for the OBD2 connector, well all I can say is that I'm glad mine's in the cabin :lol:

I guess i should allocate some time for the Project EA thread.

Keep em coming :)

Hey Bayden, the EA 's looking good, yea I didnt plan on putting the obd in the engine bay but it was so rushed-didnt have the time to do it the way I wanted to, have another loom that I will do properly and get it in the cab, cheers, Johnny.

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Hey guys, As I am going to do another loom later (two actually 1 auto & 1 manual) mainly to get it as neat as possible but will also add MTX-L AFR gauge + a SSI-4 (4 channel sensor interface) I also have PL-1Pocket logger but will probably just use the HP Tuner for data logging-will update when I get it all working, still trying to work out the best place for the AFR gauge + the best location for the wideband sensor.
The ECU threw a DTC up (only once after I kicked it pretty hard) P 1131= PCM attempting to correct constantly lean oxy sensor signal Bank-1 Sensor-1, once cleared it hasnt come up again but the AFR will give me a better idea of whats going on, cheers, Johnny.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hi all, thought I'd have a go at putting the MOMO in but seems to me the boss is the wrong one, it fits but massive gap at the back, you can see on the pics, cheers, Johnny.
The guy I bought it from said he had it in a XF and then a XG, so its probably to suit XE/XF, oh well :roll:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Custom DIY speaker boxes;
Made these for the ute, didnt wont to muck around with the doors till I can afford a better sysem, so the boxes are made from plywood-first step is making a cardboard temlpate to test fit and use to make the boxes for both sides (speakers are where the plastic corner peices on the parcel shelf) then cut the plywood peices and with some other peices of ply strips for joining, lots of wood glue and you end up with some rather function speakers that dont look to bad either-well IMO :)

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WHEELS & TYRES

Check this out guys,last year for rego I was a bit short on cash and bought a couple of re-treads for the front of the ute, so approximately twelve months later (now)had a big trip & I could see that one had bubbled so went to the tyre service and got a new tyre and got them to check that the other crappy re-tread was up to a 8 hour trip-they said it looks fine and it did look ok, anyway after seven hours I started to get a vibration in the steering-pulled over & sure enough the other re-tread had bubbled but I was nearly there so on I went 30 km's left to go- when going over a bridge "BANG", It was like I drove over a land mine - I'm so glad this didnt happen on a corner or bend but no wonder re-tread tyres are nearly obselete they're bloody dangerous, lesson learnt :oops: f

Last edited by johnnyeHCF on Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:56 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1988 5spd DOHC EA Falcon S

NSW, Australia

johnnyeHCF wrote:
WHEELS & TYRES

Check this out guys,last year for rego I was a bit short on cash and bought a couple of re-treads for the front of the ute, so approximately twelve months later (now)had a big trip & I could see that one had bubbled so went to the tyre service and got a new tyre and got them to check that the other crappy re-tread was up to a 8 hour trip-they said it looks fine and it did look ok, anyway after seven hours I started to get a vibration in the steering-pulled over & sure enough the other re-tread had bubbled but I was nearly there so on I went 30 km's left to go- when going over a bridge "BANG", It was like I drove over a land mine - I'm so glad this didnt happen on a corner or bend but no wonder re-tread tyres are nearly obselete they're bloody dangerous, lesson learnt :oops: f

Not a good situation to be in... Glad you're ok however, could've been worse :lol:

I've heard on multiple occasions of issues regarding re - treads. While they may be cheaper, It's not worth the risk in the long run... I Know I'll never touch them during my lifetime anyhow.

Just out of curiosity, if you've yet to have driven the XG around enough, what kind of fuel economy do you think you're getting? I Think i'm getting around 600km to a tank around town ( Driving like an old granny ofcourse ) Not too bad i guess.

Rolling around with a Barra 182 - equipped 1988 EA falcon

http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ ... 27639.html

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

GrannyFalcon82 wrote:
johnnyeHCF wrote:
WHEELS & TYRES

Not a good situation to be in... Glad you're ok however, could've been worse :lol:

I've heard on multiple occasions of issues regarding re - treads. While they may be cheaper, It's not worth the risk in the long run... I Know I'll never touch them during my lifetime anyhow.

Just out of curiosity, if you've yet to have driven the XG around enough, what kind of fuel economy do you think you're getting? I Think i'm getting around 600km to a tank around town ( Driving like an old granny ofcourse ) Not too bad i guess.

Hi Bayden, havnt got an accurate idea of fuel consumption yet (have to fix odometer/trip meter with new cogs) definitely better than the XG especially highway driving, on another note:got the MOMO sorted for the ute-got another boss-still saas but the BK151L (lists as XF Fairmont Ghia) best one yet but still too short-if anyone interested in the fix its in the X-Falcon workshop "XG steering wheel boss kits -why wont they fit?, cheers, Johnny.

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:18 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Yep, steer clear of retreads/remoulds.
Used to use them 15 yrs ago - regularly had to stop the car and change a tyre due to an egg forming.
Put your money into a set of decent radials.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

snap0964 wrote:
Yep, steer clear of retread remoulds.
Used to use them 15 yrs ago - regularly had to stop the car and change a tyre due to an egg forming.
Put your money into a set of decent radials.

Hey snap-yea I agree only got them so I could afford rego-if I ever am in that position again I'll get used tyres to pass rego, makes you wonder how many people have died or been seriously injured by re-treads-they should stop making them all together IMO, Cheers, Johnny.

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Yes, they are shyte.
Keep your eye out for the lessor brand name spec tyres - e.g. 'unnamed' equivalents to Kumho's etc - heaps cheaper, but usually same rubber make/spec/quality, etc.
I guess though you need to get chummy with a tyre supplier or whatever.
For example, I can get decent 205/65/15's for $45.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hey guys,have been thinking about upgrading the XG's Trans Cooler for the BA 4-SPEED for longevity and some spirited driving ofcourse-then I remember winning an auction on ebay (large trans cooler), went to get it & my EB one as its the same as XG-and man talk about overkil :roll: l it's 2 & a half times bigger than the EB one, think I'll save this one for my turbo build.
Heres some of the turbo gear I've got together the (prices were too good to say no) either to build a slightly upgraded standard DOHC XR6T (upgraded rings & springs etc) or build a tuff turbo AU/SOHC, not sure yet?? :?: :idea:
Or a Cammed BF N/A with ITB's, let the budget decide

Last edited by johnnyeHCF on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:22 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1988 5spd DOHC EA Falcon S

NSW, Australia

Oh man, wish I had the funds to do some mods right about now...

I Can't exactly speak from experience, however as best as i can understand, the xr6t engine setups are a good platform for power judging by mass amounts of Youtube videos and forum threads, not to mention the affordability if doing it by oneself :roll:

I Had thought about building my 182 Barra up for turbocharging... however I'm considering purchasing a standard, low mileage XR6T engine in the near future ( Around 3K ) and modding / tuning it myself. Purely because it's easier and cheaper for me to do so. Bit worried about the T5 holding up to the task though, would need an LSD also, single pegging is rather embarrassing

To get similar amounts of power out of an N/A you'd need one hell of a budget, not too sure how it would affect the day-to-day driveability aspect either... Would make for an interesting thread though.

That is also one hell of a cooler you've got there :lol:

Rolling around with a Barra 182 - equipped 1988 EA falcon

http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ ... 27639.html

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

GrannyFalcon82 wrote:
Oh man, wish I had the funds to do some mods right about now...

I Can't exactly speak from experience, however as best as i can understand, the xr6t engine setups are a good platform for power judging by mass amounts of Youtube videos and forum threads, not to mention the affordability if doing it by oneself :roll:

I Had thought about building my 182 Barra up for turbocharging... however I'm considering purchasing a standard, low mileage XR6T engine in the near future ( Around 3K ) and modding / tuning it myself. Purely because it's easier and cheaper for me to do so. Bit worried about the T5 holding up to the task though, would need an LSD also, single pegging is rather embarrassing

To get similar amounts of power out of an N/A you'd need one hell of a budget, not too sure how it would affect the day-to-day driveability aspect either... Would make for an interesting thread though.

That is also one hell of a cooler you've got there :lol:

Hey Bayden-hows ze beast going?, yea funds are always a problem,for me I cant afford to go that way (XR6T=$3000) + alot of guys have been getting good results with low to moderate boost on the N/A Barra engines, I was pondering using for example the Barra 182 ($99 with only 140," " " kms on it) remove the head to get some space between the head & block to lower the compression-upgrade valve springs-not sure on VCT-vernier adjustable cam gears (only $160 delivered) & add on all the standard XR6T gear (which Ive got already)except for the turbo itself (ebay special)cost spreads out a bit that way & as a streeter it should be relatively safe between 250- 300 kw (edit-I think 300 would be pushing it over its capabilities-was half p****d & way too optamistic :oops: ) depending on the tune & as you said would definitly be an interesting experimental build thread,ah will have to wait & see ATM,cheers, Johnny.

Last edited by johnnyeHCF on Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hey guys,have thought about using the BA XR Instrument cluster in this build but didn't have the time initially but now that I'm redoing the harness (ute is driving great but want a cleaner harness) thought I will give it a crack and see how it looks, a couple of different ways to do it as in trying to get the Barra cluster to fit in the XG-GL cluster housing (no way I'd sacrifice a sports cluster) this way didnt feel right to me, anyway thought about it for a while and decided to make a plate that sits inbetween the BA-XR cluster and the front peice of the XG-GL face.
So I made some cardboard templates 1 of the xg's gl cluster shape +1 of the ba-xr's gauge shape including the warniing lights on either side but covering the button holes for hazard, trip & cluster dimmer switch-will solder on connections to add external momentary push buttons for trip and dimmer later.
Once I got the template correct I cut it out on 12 mm MDF with the jig saw and put a edge on the inside surrounding using a router and gave it a sand.Cleaned it up and covered it with carbon fibre, will update with finished product when completed, cheers-Johnny.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 30  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next