Fordmods Logo

emanage ultimate on turbo ed 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: emanage ultimate on turbo ed
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

hey, so im turbocharging my old ED wagon shortly and i have bought an emanage ultimate piggyback ecu to alter timing and fuel.

i just need to know a few little things.

firstly how many teeth are on the crank angle wheel?

secondly i see it says the ignition system averages 7v whilst running? this is very strange and the emanage only gives the option of 12v or 5v so will 12v cook the igniter? does it have an igniter?

is the ignition system a pull down or a pull up type?

what duty cycle do the injectors run naturally aspirated WOT at the redline?, this will give me an idea on how much i need to add per psi with the turbo.

what af/r do they respond best with under boost? in my supra i usually aim for 14.5-1 upto about 12 psi and then go to about 10.5-1 all the way to 23 psi. as im only planning on running 5 psi or so id imagine 12.5-1 would be pretty sufficient to keep detonation at bay.

i see the map sensor runs on hertz as opposed to the normal 0-5v range, so the plan is to use an old 2jz map sensor i have lying around to feed the emanage information and leave the factory one doing its thing as normal

thanks for any and all help everyone, this turbo project has never been aimed at performance but merely a way to help it tow my race cars about the state as factory its a little woeful with 2 tonnes behind it!

Post subject: Re: emanage ultimate on turbo ed
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

You'll have a heap of trouble...

There is no teeth on the crank wheel... It is calculated inside the dizzy...

The coil runs on 12 volts, switched directly by the module on the side of the dizzy... There is no ignitor...

It is the usual coil ignition system... The dizzy pulls down to charge the coil...

No idea about the tuning... That's out of my area of expertise... Someone else can help you there... But you'll either need to fit a coil pack based engine (EF or AU) or come up with something new to run what you wanna hook up...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:01 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

i dont foresee it being that much of an issue really, infact my supra had a very simmilar setup,
the crank sensor is actually a wheel on the camshaft that does both crank and 2 camshaft positions. and this was located in the distributor.

as for 12volts i was only going off what this saying it was 7v while running. documents.php?d=41

the great thing about the emanage is if i wanted to i could run either the factory coil or replace it with a coil on plug setup as the emanage will convert the firing signal into 6 seperate paths if i so choose it in the menu.

thanks for the help

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:24 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yeah no worries...

You're looking at the Spout wire... That one is 7 volts...

The dizzy spins and the hall and vane creates a pulse which is buffered and filtered by the external module (thick film ignition module)... This signal that leaves the dizzy Ford dubbed the Pip (profile ignition pickup)... The eec receives this pulse and works out the firing... It factors that in and sends back a modified signal called the Spout (spark out), while controlling the injectors in batches... This signal is received by the tfi and again is filtered and buffered inside the tiny circuit board inside the tfi... The tfi then drives the coil directly...

I cannot imagine the Pip or Spout signals being any use to you... You may need to gut the dizzy and just use the hall effect... Or fit an ef timing case and balancer to get the tone wheel... You'll have trouble but as the ef runs a serp belt instead of the 3 other belts... Then you can toss the dizzy and fit the cam syncro and get rid of the batch injection too... It's up to you...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:24 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

just on a side note with the emanage having an auxilary output im planing on running a pair of relays to my lpg/petrol switch to switchover from gas to petrol as soon as its at 0 psi and run petrol any time im in boost, thus eliminating any need to alter the lpg tune but still retaining all the efficency at cruise and around town etc...

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Why not chip the factory ECU?

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

ahh i see! right, this will only hamper things for me if i wanted to go to sequential ignition as the emanage is still able to pick up a regular ignition signal and use it as an rpm value , as long as that signal can be delayed then the emanage can use it to pull or add timing.

if all else fails i have an ef sitting out the back as parts.

do these things chuck a fault code if i remove the oxy sensor or do they just go into open loop?

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

i was actually planning on robing the ef of its serpentine belt setup anyway. infact i could probably adapt the whole ignition system if i had too but we will see how it goes first.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

so ive been playing with this alot, and ive written up a wiring cheat sheet for the falcon, i didnt realise the emanage was acctually able to interprit a frequency basesd map signal so that makes it a little easier and the batch fire injection means less wiring with the ability to upgrade to full sequential with just the addition of cam sensor and some wiring. im looking forward to putting a wideband on it and seeing what i get before i slap a turbo on.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]