Fordmods Logo

XR6 Factory Transmission Oil Cooler in EF 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: XR6 Factory Transmission Oil Cooler in EF
Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Futura

NSW, Australia

Got my hands on a factory Oil Cooler. It was listed as off an XR6 and as fitting an EF or EL but the model list on eBay on showed '97 models.
There are brackets I think I'll be getting with it but I think I might have brackets in place. Haven't had a good look.
Will this fit an EF '95 Futura without any mods? Lookslike I might need to cut and flare a pipe end.
Image attached.
I was going for a PWR or Davies Caig when this came up. Might still do later but want someting in place for now.
Attachment:
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG [ 474.76 KiB | Viewed 274 times ]

Post subject: Re: XR6 Factory Transmission Oil Cooler in EF
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:22 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Explorer

NSW, Australia

It will fit.
Had the same on my old xr8
If you have to cut and flare, double flare it.

kangaroos and radiators are a bad mixture

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

The EBII-ED genuine tranny coolers were 3 times the size of them EF-ELs ones.... I know, coz I was fitting them at the Ford dealer back in the day.
I couldn't understand why they went smaller........????
Also, ED were the last adjustable Bands tranny too.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

The little EF XR6 cooler is certainly better than not having one at all. But bigger is better, so if you are going to the trouble of taking the front end apart, you may as well put in the biggest cooler you can. An universal aftermarket one will take a bit more fiddling around, but would be worth it. I replaced the factory XR6 one (the one in your pic) with an aftermarket one over three times the size. I also kept it in-line with the "cooler" in the side tank of the radiator. That way the fluid is at a constant 90 degrees going into the transmission - not too hot or too cool.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Those coolers usually come with the wagons that have a tow pack - they're alloy and do look fairly robust. They go inline with the radiator cooler.
Depending on how much hard work the trans is doing, you'll find it'll do the job ok.

In the pic below, I replaced a power steering cooler (the pipe loop) with one of these. The original cooling pipe had bad bubble rust, and had a risk of bursting power steering fluid, had a spare trans cooler, so used it.
I had to make a solid joiner for two hoses - some copper pipe double flared both ends to give you the humps to fit hose over.

Do fit new transmission fluid (not coolant) hoses to it before fitting.

Attachments:
BILD0390.JPG
BILD0390.JPG [ 202.63 KiB | Viewed 318 times ]

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:59 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
I also kept it in-line with the "cooler" in the side tank of the radiator. That way the fluid is at a constant 90 degrees going into the transmission - not too hot or too cool.

is there any reason from a mechanical side/view that the fluid must go through the radiator?? a previous car i had just went from gearbox to cooler & back, didn't notice any problems

Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Without going through the radiator on the way back to the trans, it is theoretically possible for the fluid to take longer to warm up and for it to cool "too much" (eg, down to 20-30 degrees). There are people adamant each way, so it probably doesn't much matter. In my thinking, drivetrain components usually work better when up to normal operating temperature. And machines tend to work more consistently if you can keep conditions (eg, temp) constant. I do bracket racing, so consistency is good. My coolant is at 86 degrees, so it will keep the fluid going back to the trans close to that temp as long as the engine is at full operating temp. That's my theory anyway :-)

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]