Fordmods Logo

Adding a Trip Computer to a Falcon EL 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Adding a Trip Computer to a Falcon EL
Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon EL

NSW, Australia

Howdy, i recently bought a secondhand trip computer from ebay and wish to add it to my 06/98 falcon el gli. I found installation instructions on a separate forum on this site however the data line description at the rear of the instrument cluster doesn't match any of the wires i have on my car. Can anyone help?

Post subject: Re: Adding a Trip Computer to a Falcon EL
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hello,

A Gli has the wiring for a Clock, the info you are looking for is at the Resources Tab above. You need to cut 1 wire, and add 3. Different model Falcons had different wiring harness's, which is why it wont plug in and work. My Falcon has ABS, which means the harness will fit Cruise Control. The Data line which runs to the Cluster is a shielded cable, this stops other signals interfering with the Data. This is 1 of the wires you have to add.

Now you may wonder why you dont use a wire which is on the Fairmont. I also was curious. It is because the body computer is different, and I think because the the higher models have variable lights dash lights. A Gli has on, low and off.

Hope this helps.

Regards 96ELGli

Post subject: Re: Adding a Trip Computer to a Falcon EL
Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon EL

NSW, Australia

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, i did end up getting the trip computer installed and it works perfectly. I used a couple of the clocks wires and piggybacked on the rear demist wires for the dimmer signal. I ran a new wire from the right side plug on the instrument cluster for the data line described in the 'How To' guide in the Tech Docs. I actually dismantled the instrument cluster plug and the original clock plug and transferred one of the connectors to ensure a solid feed. I then used the ignition power wire from the clock plug to power an engine guardian that i installed. So all in all i am really happy with how it all worked out.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]