Fordmods Logo

WTB [0]: heater chamber 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: heater chamber
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

O.k., this is a bit of a long shot. I need to replace the heater core in my EL. What I would like to get hold of is a GOOD heater chamber ( the bloody big black thing under the dash) that I can pull apart, put in a new core, put together and simply swap over.

It is very important that the fan is in good nick (no whines, rumbles etc.) also the flaps need to move. In other words, it needs to be in reasonable nick.

The other thing is that , if anybody has one, it would be good to be in the Western to Northwestern 'burbs.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: WTB [0]: heater chamber
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Why don't you reco the unit coming out of the car ??
Get some thin foam from Clarkes rubber to do the doors.

Chances are the recirc flap will be broken, and the windscreen/feet flap might be too.
So you'll need to repair them possibly.

The blower fan you can oil the front/rear bearings (bushes) - rear you need to drill a hole and tape over, and pull the brushes for inspection.

Oh, and some flyscreen on the top of the recirc box to stop leaves falling in.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I have previously had the original unit out of the car, but I couldn't separate the halves of the plenum. I was going to give it to my local guy to fix (the heater) this time, and to save money, I was intending to do this work out of the car so all he had to do was pull the dash etc., swap the boxes, and replace, rather than have him spend hours trying to get it apart.

Quote:
Chances are the recirc flap will be broken, and the windscreen/feet flap might be too.
So you'll need to repair them possibly.

More than likely this will be so. I can look at these out of the car also.

Quote:
The blower fan you can oil the front/rear bearings (bushes)

Just light machine oil i presume?

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Ive got two spare vent/recirc assemblies in the shed for just that reason. They used to be not too much $$ from ford

The Fan assembly is swappable seperately from the rest. The noise is usually just leaves etc in the box.

Cheers

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:39 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

creeture3 wrote:
Just light machine oil i presume?
Or engine oil, either be fine.
You can do the whole thing yourself, so if you can take the car off the road for a few days, all the better.
Not a bad idea to renew the heater core while everything is out - the shorter pipe doesn't have much support, other than the solder joint, which can fracture with successive hose changes over the years.

Splitting it is not hard - just remove ALL of the self tappers and carefully lever it apart, bearing in mind the sticky stuff can be stubborn, so cut it when it's stretched, don't force, as you can crack the casing.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Quote:
plitting it is not hard - just remove ALL of the self tappers and carefully lever it apart, don't force, as you can crack the casing.

I have had the dash out already last month, but couldn't get the halves to separate, and, as you say, I didn't want to force it. I was using a substantial amount of force at the time, and didn't want to go any further, as I needed the car back on the road by the w/end. If I go this way, if I break something, at least I won t have to spend days pulling dashes out of cars at a wreckers to find something good, and I can take my time trying to pry the bloody thing apart.

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Ive found that use of a heat gun helps to soften the adhesive, and use of a scraper or simlar to assist in opening the case.

nigel

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]