EA CONVERSION TO A 302 CLEVELAND 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: EA CONVERSION TO A 302 CLEVELAND
Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:31 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EA Falcon

TAS, Australia

Hi guys

I own a EA FALCON and have always wanted to go against the grain and put a 302 Cleveland in place of the strait 6.
Has anyone done one of these before?
Are custom engine mounts required?

Post subject: Re: EA CONVERSION TO A 302 CLEVELAND
Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Its been done a few times.

The biggest issue is emissions, but I believe you can work around that by using straight LPG.

In terms of conversion : Research Cleveland into Late XF's. The XF Falcon (And EA onward) moved the heaterbox around, and the water inlet is blocked by the Heads/Rocker Covers. People have gone many paths including custom pipes, custom hoses, and using the AC Core location instead to get around that. You can also put an XD or XE heater box in with the required changes in holes.

You should be able to use Windsor Engine mounts. On an EA/EB, you need to change the K-Frame anyway to the V8 one to do that, so I'd actually suggest using an EF or EL K-Frame, and EF/EL Engine mounts. You also get the benefit that way of the Stronger K-Frame, and the rest of the Ef/EL Suspension changes at the front (you'll need to get the Lower control Arms, spindles etc)

You can of course also custom make mounts. Thats not hard, and it wouldnt take a lot to make a custom engine mount that uses a performance EB-EL style i6 Engine mount (one of the urethane through-bolt style ones would be stronger...) that would suit the engine.

Use EF/EL Thermo Fans for the conversion, with a BMW Thermoswitch from a 4cyl E36. It has two temperature switching, and is the lower one. There is an identical looking BMW switch that is 9/10 degrees hotter, and thats not what you want. You should be able to tap the Thermoswitch into the thermostat outlet so that it only switches when the water is hot. use EF/EL Thermofan Wiring in "two speed" mode, and you'll get the full benefit of that.

The XD Clevo used a Ford C2 power steering pump. I know in the 90's most of them were replaced with Saginaw pumps as the C2 was thought to be s**t, but Ford then used the C2 in the EB and ED V8's as well. If you can find the C2 pump bracket and Pulley, then you should be able to use an EB/ED or EF/EL V8 Power Steering line with no modifications to get that to work.

The rest - is creatively up to you!

Nigel

Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:32 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EA Falcon

TAS, Australia

Thanks Nigel

As I want to keep my EA FOR YEARS TO COME,These cars hold a sentimental value for me because the EA/EB Falcons were the very first car I ever owned years ago,
The LPG thing doesn't really bother me and would be a good idea due to fuel prices these days lol

I'm looking to get a clevo and having a full standard resto on the engine so I can have many years of reliable driving ahead,

Would I be able to keep the 3 speed auto from my 1988 falcon or would I need to swap for a 4 speed transmission?

Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

mate- depends on how you want to go about this.

You cant use the EA Auto. Its just not that strong. Never was, and never could be.

You can use the Clevo 3 speed Auto though - C4 would be the best.

You can get am American AOD 4 Speed Auto that doesnt require a computer.

And you can make a Ford EB-> AU 4 Speed Windsor Auto (thats the V8 one) work with the clevo if your very good with electronics, as before the ED the Trans ECU was able to work completely stand alone. There are also people (shiftkits.com.au) that offer a fully manual kit for the 4 speed auto.

Or... you can just go to Dellow or CRS, and get a 5 speed setup ;)

Cheers

Nigel

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:20 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

You can of course get EFI intakes for clevelands now from Trickflow. Get yourself a 5.0L EB-EL donor car and use harness, EEC and anything else including the V8BTR auto.
Use an F-series 5.8L TFI Dizzy with the gear changed to a Cleveland one or get a 7.5L TFI dizzy and it'll drop right in but you'll have to mod some wiring for a remote TFI or mod the housing a tad and mount a TFI module on it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]