Fordmods Logo

ZF 6 speed auto's are rubbish! 

Page 3 of 4 [ 46 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: ZF 6 speed auto's are rubbish!
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 93 ed fairmont ghia

NSW, Australia

everyone in this thread is saying they give their zf's s**t and drive them hard. so if he is driving it hard why are they s**t them selfs? i dont he could be smashing gears harder than most of you blokes, sounds dodgy about something to do with you cat getting welded in, i think its more electrical or tune wise than mechanical or human abuse!
Wouldnt all the rest of you take it easy on a new box after the 2nd or 3rd? something to think about before we all point the finger to his driving?

ED Fairmont Ghia. t5 conversion w h/d exedy, 3:45:1 lsd, pacemaker extractors, 2.5" custom exhaust, waggott cam,K&N high flow panel filter, TI performance chip w/ 4 tune switch(2 ED, 2 EL tunes) king 18's, el thermo fan w/ Davis Craig switch. 5000K hids,led lighting, doof box in boot.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:01 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

c james wrote:
everyone in this thread is saying they give their zf's s**t and drive them hard. so if he is driving it hard why are they s**t them selfs? i dont he could be smashing gears harder than most of you blokes, sounds dodgy about something to do with you cat getting welded in, i think its more electrical or tune wise than mechanical or human abuse!
Wouldnt all the rest of you take it easy on a new box after the 2nd or 3rd? something to think about before we all point the finger to his driving?

There's driving hard, and there's abuse.

The electronics in the ZF are all in the ZF. So if it's been replaced 3/4/5 times over now, it's something to do with the car. OP still hasn't come back with a more detailed explanation of what's actually breaking.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 93 ed fairmont ghia

NSW, Australia

data_mine wrote:
c james wrote:

There's driving hard, and there's abuse.

The electronics in the ZF are all in the ZF. So if it's been replaced 3/4/5 times over now, it's something to do with the car. OP still hasn't come back with a more detailed explanation of what's actually breaking.

Yeah I see what your saying, but if it was me and im sure everyone would do the same, I would be going easy on the box. I would get it fixed and give it a gut full. Must be some massive abuse that's just why I think there's more too it.

ED Fairmont Ghia. t5 conversion w h/d exedy, 3:45:1 lsd, pacemaker extractors, 2.5" custom exhaust, waggott cam,K&N high flow panel filter, TI performance chip w/ 4 tune switch(2 ED, 2 EL tunes) king 18's, el thermo fan w/ Davis Craig switch. 5000K hids,led lighting, doof box in boot.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:34 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 09 FG XR6

Power: 208 rwkw

NSW, Australia

explain to me how it can be driver abuse? never smashed it from drive into reverse ect... or park into drive under revs... hell i even make sure the car is stopped before i go from reverse into drive. yes the car gets driven enthusiasticlly. but only the fist box was ever drag raced and did about 200 passes with no issues. so without the typical school girl b**ch that goes on on this site explain how i my self can be smashing boxes? there's no clutch to ride... and the last 3 boxes were never tuned at all. so fill me in on how it's my fault? Bring on a manual for the next car.

p.s thanks c james for understanding.

2 FOR TURNING & 2 FOR BURNING

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:32 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

are your replacement boxes new,reco or wrecker second handers??
you would expect a new or reco box to last atleast as long as the original...

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:37 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

brad17djr wrote:
explain to me how it can be driver abuse? never smashed it from drive into reverse ect... or park into drive under revs... hell i even make sure the car is stopped before i go from reverse into drive. yes the car gets driven enthusiasticlly. but only the fist box was ever drag raced and did about 200 passes with no issues. so without the typical school girl b**ch that goes on on this site explain how i my self can be smashing boxes? there's no clutch to ride... and the last 3 boxes were never tuned at all. so fill me in on how it's my fault? Bring on a manual for the next car.

p.s thanks c james for understanding.

So what exactly is breaking in them? that might give us some help diagnosing.

Didn't know you'd stopped tuning them after the first.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:14 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

well thats just it ford (ZF) haven't told me whats braking in them they just send zf out and then zf ok a new box there all new boxes apparently but who realy knows? i no the first box failed due to a torque converter failing and that was before the trans was tuned at all. To be honest im prity sure i wont be buying another zf. if the cars out of warenty and the box fails it''s about $3000 for a recoed box then it still wont work with the car because zf have to come out and unlock the megatronics unit to accept the box. not like the 4 spd just swap and drive away no worries. to be honest i would recomend looking for the manual for some one buying a used car just for peice of mind.

My tuner and me havve also spoken to rob herrod and sent him all the tune files we have used and rob told us that there is no way what we have done in the tune codes that could cause a problem.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Who rebuild's ZF for 3k??? as far as i know they cost 6k for a rebuild...

The good old 4 speed is good enough for me and i had mine rebuilt in my EF XR6 and feels great...

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:26 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

getting it build stronger now, ford know's it's been tuned so no warenty now lol i'l see how it goes with 7 cluch packs :)

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

Waiting to see pics of the smashed diff

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:28 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

The 'first' diff that came out of my GT-P. (the real first was factory, I removed it, it's still in it's one piece), since then smashed a few others, on the fourth, after market gear set and truetrac centre is holding strong.
(you'll notice the centre/carrier is missing - never found it).

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

probly in somones radiator by now :lol: :lol: :shock:

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon

WA, Australia

If there is some leakage of radiator fluid into the gearbox oil cooler it would destroy all gearboxes subsequently fitted. Might not be a mechanic-driver problem after all, except for missing such an obvious problem?

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 08 BF MK11 Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

I think it has something to do with the car, not the trannies that have blown em up, they shouldn't be doing that with what you have been doing/putting them through, especially if Ford were changing them as regularly as they were and being secretive about it all, just my 2 cents

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:49 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1998 au xr6

QLD, Australia

there's a drag car in Queensland that is Australia's fastest ba xr6t and its running a stock standard zf 6 speed auto and it hasn't destroyed it yet. its so powerful it cant be restrained on a dyno to see how much HP its spitting out. :D

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next