Fordmods Logo

EB/ED V8 into EA? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: EB/ED V8 into EA?
Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:43 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FORD '89 DA LTD

VIC, Australia

Hi guys, I tried searching already but couldn't find a detailed guide on installing a EB or ED V8 into an EA.
Before I get told it won't be worth it, the car is sentimental to me so I don't want to get rid of it, it's already registered on club plates, (built 01/1990) and it's the 3.9 MPFI 4 speed, rust free, fairmont ghia with all working electrics -not a basket case like most on the road.

Anyway, it's lacking quite a bit of up'n'go so I was wanting to drop in something other than the usual later model I6.

So, has anyone got any info on doing this conversion? I'm not going to be chasing big power, just a small increase and a bit extra for towing the dirtbike through the hills.
Would this conversion be more complicated than something like the AU I6 conversion? If it'll be too much of a headf#ck, that's probably the next preferred route.

Sorry if there is a topic already on this, but as mentioned, I couldn't find anything detailed.

Cheers,
Liam.

SPUDLEY'S LTD BUILD THREAD -> the-garage-f53/spudley-s-ltd-build-t87533.html

Post subject: Re: EB/ED V8 into EA?
Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:15 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Really not worth it... :D

Now that is out of the way...... :lol:

It can be done as the EA is really no different to the EB body wise, minor differences.

First thing is that the car will need to be engineered as the EA never came out with a V8 fitted. I would find a Vic Roads approved engineer and talk with him first. Not 100% sure on what happens south of the border with Vic Roads but I would believe that this will require emissions as well.

Best bet would be to try and get an EB V8 complete wreck, back or side damage best (or a real cheapy) as you will require the following main items,
1) Subframe
2) Engine (of course)
3) Gearbox
4) Tailshaft
5) Wiring loom
6) ECU ETC.
7) Exhaust
You may even be lucky and get a LSD Diff as well.
Not 100% sure on this but I believe that all EB V8's were smartlock as well, so you may need a chip to bypass smartlock. Early EB's were not fitted with the V8.

It will just be a case of swaping everthing over. Great thing about having thebwreck as you see where it all comes from as you do it.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:21 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

'Not going to be chasing big power, just a small increase and a bit extra for towing' ...
Find a low Km AU i6 and install that along with some extractors and an exhaust and problem solved.
Yes a v8 into an EA is going to be a lot more complicated than a AU engine swap as SWC has laid out above.
Love seeing an E series live on with an AU transplant. Makes the car feel new again.. Well, almost.

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:11 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Fairmont-Ghia-Eb-V8-Sunroof-Auto-/321818003089?hash=item4aedd90691

was on FB at one stage

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:16 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FORD '89 DA LTD

VIC, Australia

ok guys, thanks for your inputs.
my reason for thinking V8 was they have a beautiful note when paired with the right exhaust, a little more power (i know it's not much), and just some extra towing torque.
also, every second car seems to have the AU I6 in it, i would have loved to do something a little different

cheers

SPUDLEY'S LTD BUILD THREAD -> the-garage-f53/spudley-s-ltd-build-t87533.html

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]