Fordmods Logo

Project XG-FPV DOHC Barra 182 

Page 6 of 30 [ 449 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 30  Next

Post subject: Re: Project XG-FPV DOHC Barra 182
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EF-XR6/XG-6/XE-V8- project

Hey guys,just got back from up north and have finally worked out fuel economy,ok so trip this time took 7 hours(this is probably about 90% highway driving)-fuel tank filled to brim is 68 litres of premium 98 and distance is 542 km which works out to 12.55 litres per 100 km,can someone verify thats correct,cheers,Johnny.

XG DOHC-BARRA 182/Turbo kit/20% Underdrive and BA 4-SPEED + Tiptronic shifter

https://youtube.com/channel/UCaRUQ10of3FlOuSpvfapOtA

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hey guys,just got back from up north and have finally worked out fuel economy,ok so trip this time took 7 hours(this is probably about 90% highway driving)-fuel tank filled to brim is 68 litres of premium 98 and distance is 542 km which works out to 12.55 litres per 100 km,can someone verify thats correct,cheers,Johnny.

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:31 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1988 5spd DOHC EA Falcon S

NSW, Australia

johnnyeHCF wrote:

Seemed to be using quite a bit of fuel, what were the revs? Unless you're a lead foot, I'm pretty sure it can do better.

My trip to Melbourne with the Barra achieved around 8 - 9L per 100km, using 98.

Rolling around with a Barra 182 - equipped 1988 EA falcon

http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ ... 27639.html

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

GraI'myFalcon82 wrote:
johnnyeHCF wrote:

Seemed to be using quite a bit of fuel, what were the revs? Unless you're a lead foot, I'm pretty sure it can do better.

My trip to Melbourne with the Barra achieved around 8 - 9L per 100km, using 98.

Hey Bayden,Im posative it can do better-but im stoked with that(and Yes definitely a spirited driver)+ it needs a bit love,coils-plugs-fuel fiter etc,some BA sedans are up in the 14's l/100km

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hey guys,have taken the bonnet off to weld in the peice to strengthen the cut brace and also weld in the new bracket I made for the second strut (once welded in and painted I'll use sikaflex to rejoin the brace to the bonnet skin) ,heres some pics-will have them welded in and painted tomorrow with update,cheers,Johnny.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hey guys,so got bonnet welded up/it's a bit ruff but solid as-brackets solid for the second strut only thing is I cannot get the nut in under the panel for the p/s ball,does anyone know if removing metal cover in the wheel well on the top side of the spring will gain me access?,if not it can be welded in,cheers,Johnny.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Bonnet back on and second strut works-bonnet rigid again,do need new struts (ba ones seem good/will order new ones)& glue the brace to skin and later a hood liner made.

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

johnnyeHCF wrote:
Hey guys,just got back from up north and have finaly worked out fuel economy,ok so trip this time took 7 hours(this is probably about 90% highway driving)-fuel tank filled to brim is 68 litres of premium 98 and distance is 542 km which works out to 12.55 litres per 100 km,can someone verify thats correct,cheers,Johnny.

Hey guys,just wanted to revisit the fuel econemy quote above and explain why I was happy with it,not sure if anyone has worked this out-but this ute has been driven 100% manually shifting for the last 6 months! & even though I'm sure some of you are ROFL-ing I definitely have a new found respect for the BTR 4-speed its taken all the abuse I've thrown at it and its still going strong,but it does put a lot more strain on everything. :roll:
So changing the E-series VSS to a AU VSS will fix up the auto shift so It changes gear properly (will throw speedo out which I'll correct with a jaycar speedo corrector) but to do this the driveshaft and extension housing need to come off-so I've ordered new nolathane bushes springeye's and spring saddles to get the new LSD in at the same time-after that a tidy up in the engine bay,cheers,Johnny.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hey guys,getting sh*t ready to put the new diff in and lower the ute a bit + nolathane bushes,but after the last two times I outsourced hydraulic press jobs I have decided that getting my own press is well worth it-first being the xg lower control arms with new bushes taken to well respected mechanic first go they cracked both arms on both sides (4 cracks in total) 2nd go after they replaced with some used c/arms they pressed the same bushes in but didn't centre them so they were on opposite angles to each other,3rd go-I put them on drove it to them gave them the keys and said "pleeaase fix it" so pick it up and they got the bushes right but managed to destroy both upper balljoint boots (brand new),then recently was charged $125 to press out and in a new BA balljoint (I provided ball joint) which took them approximatly 3 minutes -so a 20 tonne press for $215 made really good sense.

Heres some pics

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hey guys,quick update, the wheels from the BA ute had some bad gutter rash & hows this lend a mate two of them to keep him on the road and he bloody painted them black-prefer them as they are myself but anyway have been looking for a while for AU on offset wheels that may suit the old XG,heres just a couple of pics of rims I was contemplating but in the end I went with a good set of BA-XR wheels-great price,virtually no gutter rash and better yet no friggin paint + have one good one from the ute to use for spare.

Last edited by johnnyeHCF on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: XG

VIC, Australia

Are you going to be running a spacer for them? has AU-FG have different offset to X/E series falcons.

otherwise nice work, just got old that I own only $85 left on my XG :D

XG Ute - 3 Seater - Auto - Dual Fuel

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

DOHCED wrote:
Are you going to be running a spacer for them? has AU-FG have different offset to X/E series falcons.

otherwise nice work, just old that I own only $85 left on my XG :D

Hi mate,yea spacers for the front the rears getting a re-con AU lsd with BA XR leaf springs (LP4 Ironman load plus helper springs-as the XR leafs are/may be too low)-slotted and cross drilled rotors and calipers and modified BA ute handbrake set-up (rear section),braided custom made brake hoses to suit between xg lines and ba calipers ($80 each approx),sounds weird I know but should work quite well,once the rears done I'll lower the front to suit,cheers,Johnny.

2" drop stubs in future maybe :roll:

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ah thats good thing, cant wait to get my XG home and tinker with it, engine bay needs a good clean etc

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hey guys,just wanted to put this up as I think it's pretty cool,I've seen heaps of airbrushed cars over the years and to be honest most I've seen can be a bit tacky and some really good but this one I caught my eye-guy who did this is good!
Anyway heres the pics,cheers,Johnny.

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Looks really good indeed.

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 30  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 30  Next