Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post subject: Re: Cam choice 5.0L - Help
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BFII Super Pursuit

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
Littlefoot wrote:
The tuning side of things has more flexibility as he mentioned the J3 might not get it quite right. MAF is taken out completely.
Also I can load multiple tunes.

a few things to consider....
you can have multiple tunes with quarterhorse j3 on the factory ecu.
one down side of aftermarket ecu's they are more focused on outright power and there closed loop functions are not as refined as the factory ecu and you may loose light cruise economy...also you will loose the sequential injection as ems stinger is batch fire, unless you opt for the more expensive ems 8860...

I'm going to batch fire anyhow unfortunately as I'm using dizzy and ecu from e series.

How do I select the different tunes with the quarter horse?

It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.
-Bill Hicks

Last edited by Littlefoot on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

* Reason is wiring in the au dizzy, ecu, bcm.is going to be too difficult

-Bill Hicks

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:32 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Littlefoot wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
Littlefoot wrote:
The tuning side of things has more flexibility as he mentioned the J3 might not get it quite right. MAF is taken out completely.
Also I can load multiple tunes.

a few things to consider....
you can have multiple tunes with quarterhorse j3 on the factory ecu.
one down side of aftermarket ecu's they are more focused on outright power and there closed loop functions are not as refined as the factory ecu and you may loose light cruise economy...also you will loose the sequential injection as ems stinger is batch fire, unless you opt for the more expensive ems 8860...

I'm going to batch fire anyhow unfortunately as I'm using dizzy and ecu from e series.

How do I select the different tunes with the quarter horse?

even with dizzy the e series 50l ecu is still sequential injected..

afaik moates sell an external rotary switch for tune switching or you just plug the usb into your laptop to update or change your file.

the ems still needs a laptop to load different files also.. unless you get a motorsport series 8860 which allows tune file switching via a switch.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

Removing MAF sensor is a backwards step on a street motor, any tuner would (or should) have told you that. What's going to be more accurate - measuring the amount of air going into the engine with a MAF sensor, or trying to calculate the ingested air mass based off measuring manifold vacuum, intake air temp, coolant temp, throttle position and using a fudge-factor table (aka volumetric efficiency) to reflect the difference between theoretical and real-world air pumping in your engine system? Aftermarket speed density does have it's place, but almost certainly not for your application

QH rotary switch only works with 56k tunes, but you can switch tunes with a laptop even with engine running. Same with updating a tune. Update on the fly they call it.

I personally don't rate sequential as a major improvement over bank fire, just a slight refinement

Are you auto or manual? If auto, you need to consider how to control it if you ditch the factory ecu which communicates with the tcm. You will likely be locked in 3rd gear with a loose converter. You also loose rpm and engine temp as these come from the ecu IIRC.

It sounds to me like you need to find better people/companies who will work with you rather than guiding you down THEIR preferred path.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

^ Agree 100%.

TE50 T1 P01

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Littlefoot wrote:
Quote:
depends on how much power your after?
you also got to keep in mind the Windsor 5.0 is a design from the 1960s, heavy cast iron pushrod engine... no sohc or dohc, no multi valves ect.

Hey Troyman,
I've let go of 220rwkw (yep rwkw) promised by one dyno tuner as that's 270 n/a with GT40P'S - I don't think it's possible

If I could manage 200rwkw with a good torque curve, I'd feel this whole thing had been worthwhile.

that would be Bruce Hienrich right?

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Haha I won't mention the company in question, I will only name and shame after I've invested money with a business and they fail to provide an adequate product/service without resolution. As a side note, I have met Bruce and my last dealings with him were generally positive.

-Bill Hicks

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4