Fordmods Logo

Hazard fuse blowing 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Hazard fuse blowing
Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA Fairmont

WA, Australia

I have a BA Fairmont Ghia 2003. Lost indicators recently, checked and found blown fuse (Hazard, 15A second along one second row) . Replaced and immediately blows (even without key in ignition).

I noted that the right side indicators failed before the left pair went out seconds later. Indicator relay ticks on actuation, but just slightly higher rate. I suspected the instrument cluster was faulty, so I replaced. (In retrospect, I should have checked if fuse blows with cluster removed, OK to have 20/20 hindsight!). As it turned out, replacement cluster did not change the situation as fuse blows immediately it is inserted and without key in ignition.

The car has a tow-bar installed when the car was new, which is the only aftermarket mod done to the vehicle. I'm thinking I should check there for possible dodgy work, but can anyone give me hints on where to check with ohm/voltmeter.

Post subject: Re: Hazard fuse blowing
Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hello,

Have you tried with the Cluster unplugged ? You will need to isolate things to find the fault. The switch would be the 2nd thing to unplug. There is a member who really knows his Auto electrical stuff, hopefully he can give you more insight into what to look for as it may be a common / known problem.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

possible hazard switch fault
try pushing hazard switch button ONCE to turn off and replace fuse - if no short check left and right for short
disconnect cluster and check for short
cut open a fuse for terminals -solder wires across back of terminals and fit crimp terminals to allow fuse to be connected across fuse holder connection may save your fuse holder arcing when fuse fitted to test.........

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Guys, Thanks for all inputs and suggestions, much appreciated. I isolated front and back and with my store of 15A fuses deplenished, I finally got a highly recommended AE to come out. He was baffled and said in 40 years there weren't many he'd seen like this. Took the car to his workshop for a further look at it and it turned out to be the ALARM system causing the fuse to blow! He found it within an hour which was impressive. Interestingly about a week before and probably around the time of the indicators going out, I had a phantom alarm from the car one evening. I had forgotten about it until the diagnosis was advised. Anyway, I put on here for the benefit of the record in case anyone else has this experience. If my car was worth a lot of money, I might keep an alarm on it, but think they are more trouble than they are worth based on past history.

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hello,

Great to know what it is. Tow bar was not the only thing extra ! I have only had 1 Car with an alarm, took it out and threw it away. It did not take long to start the car, an obvious disable thing. I always think about what might happen in a remote area with a Car that wont start.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

One should definitely be circumspect of the complexity of cars of this generation of travelling remotely. It could cost you your life. So many things can go wrong that could render the car inoperable and the electrics could be a big part of the problem.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]