led causing problems? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: led causing problems?
Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:51 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR6 1994 KJ ll Laser

QLD, Australia

hi all hope you are well, i have a 1996 el futura sedan and swapped the interior lights to led. they worked great but not long after the central locking on the passenger side, both front and rear, stopped working. also the interior lights on the passenger stopped working. the interior lights and door locks work fine on the drivers side. i replaced the leds back to standard globes but the problems remain. it seems strange that they both happened at the same time. also the cruise control wont engage. when i turn it on the light on the dash comes on. could all these problems be related. :? any help would be appreciated.

Metal Maniac Can't Go Fast Enough

Post subject: Re: led causing problems?
Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:02 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

anyone got ideas for this. i have looked on fordmods and nothing seems to match. i am really stumped. please help. :? :? :cry:

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:28 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hmmm...

Central locking is pretty simple... Pull the door trim off and make sure the actuator is plugged in properly... Make sure the door looms are plugged into the body loom properly... Inside the car under the carpet at the b pillar and behind the computer in the kick panel... You must have a bad connection... Maybe you have 2 crook actuators... It sounds like conspiracy, but stranger things have been known to occur... You can test for voltage at them... One of the 3 wires should be 12V all the time... One should be 12V when the car is locked, and the other should be 12V when the car is unlocked...

The door lights are the button the door hits when it closes... Pull them out and buff the metal back where the moving terminal contacts... They quite often get dirty and don't work... Failing that, they should be plugged into the body loom... Maybe you have a bad connection between the body loom and the dash loom...

Cruise control could be dodgy switches in the wheel... Could be missing speed sensor... Could be the back de-activator or the pedal switches...

The light green wire should have 12V present... Does it?
The green/white wire should have no voltage present... And 12V when you brake... Does it?

If they are OK then unplug the module plug and stick your meter on ohms between the orange/yellow and black wires (pins 5 and 6)... DO NOT PRESS THE ON BUTTON ON THE WHEEL... Test the set+, set- and coast/resume buttons...

Set- 120ohms
Set+ 680ohms
Coast 2200ohms

If you have these then maybe there is an issue with the speed sensor or the module itself...

None of this has anything to do with the LED's but...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:10 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

thanks TimmyA :) i will start searching for all the possible faults you have pointed out. i will post the results when i have tested them. i'm a wiz with anything without a computer. been working on my own cars for over 30 years but computers have me stumped. :lol:

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:22 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

You should ace this then... Other than the cruise... The other 2 problems are computer free...

As I said, both the passenger side no light and no lock sound to be like a bad connection or a completely unplugged loom... I know ED and AU wiring like the back of my hand... But have had nothing to do with EF/EL looms... Don't know where what plugs into what or anything to help out... Start in the obvious places but and stem from there... Can always check with a multimeter starting at the switch or lock actuator and working back to the dash loom to see if you can identify the break...

The cruise is a computer... But it's pretty simple... Has bugger all inputs and the output is the built in servo motor pulling on the cable (and the jewel in the cluster is the only other output)...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]