radiator stuffed 

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: radiator stuffed
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Quote:
Just for interest sake - check the continuity of your existing radiator frame to the car frame with a meter.

Did that and got a reading of 133 ish ohms? So there is continuity with a resistance.

This subject is quite interesting. I have read further on the interweb, and opinions vary greatly as to whether one should earth an alloy rad or not. Some say yes, under any circumstance, and some say no, just make sure it is isolated from the frame (car) . Some say attaching an earth lead to the rad will only increase deterioration (through electrolysis) while others say it wont.

Many cooling experts (?) say never to earth an alloy radiator and they have had no trouble as long as there is no contact between the rad and the car.

Others say copper is the way to go, because with the plastic header tanks, there is no contact between the car and the radiator.

Interesting point though: my motorcycle is 26 years old and, at this time, it still has the original radiator. There is, however, an earth lead attached to the radiator!! And I am pretty sure the radiator is alloy. It is also mounted with rubber grommets.

I am going to get another alloy one, Chinese this time, (due to cost) and put an earth lead on, and see what happens.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hello,

Most Motorbike engines are Alloy though. With different metals, the engine / cooling system wants to be a battery. I would not change anything from how it originally was made. ( the Car ) I have had my EL for many years, and it has had 1 radiator because there was a leak from a bad crash repair. You will find many conflicting things on the internet. It will be interesting to see how your Car goes this time if everything else is the same.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Quote:
Most Motorbike engines are Alloy though. With different metals, the engine / cooling system wants to be a battery

Sounds logical.......

I decided to go with a copper rad. this time, as I got a 3 row one. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. Have a look here in a few years time :lol:

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2