Fordmods Logo

new BA progect 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: new BA progect
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hi everyone, I'm new to moddin cars so please bear with me. I have a BA with 65000 on the clock and want to start with the running gear. This car will eventually get a Turbo etc. I'm looking for a spring/shock combination that will handle hard cornering and not be too harsh. Also factor in the fact that I would rather keep the 16 inch rims. Suggestions please.

Post subject: Re: new BA progect
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: G6e

SA, Australia

Everyone will yell but i say a set of second handie xr springs and some nice new shocks but if the originals are in good nic reuse cheap and easy

I'm a hypothetical person though I'm running coil overs all round in my fg

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

kramdrallim wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm new to moddin cars so please bear with me. I have a BA with 65000 on the clock and want to start with the running gear. This car will eventually get a Turbo etc. I'm looking for a spring/shock combination that will handle hard cornering and not be too harsh. Also factor in the fact that I would rather keep the 16 inch rims. Suggestions please.

I assume that it is a BA XT sedan?

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Yep xt sedan pov pack,and someone else told me to do the xr spring thing for a cheap way out. I was previously looking at a Pedders set up with adjustable shocks and haven't discounted this idea yet either. I was hoping to hear that the prime setup for these cars had been found ages ago I suppose. I assume that all the rubbers and ball joints will need doing as well?

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: G6e

SA, Australia

kramdrallim wrote:
Yep xt sedan pov pack,and someone else told me to do the xr spring thing for a cheap way out. I was previously looking at a Pedders set up with adjustable shocks and haven't discounted this idea yet either. I was hoping to hear that the prime setup for these cars had been found ages ago I suppose. I assume that all the rubbers and ball joints will need doing as well?

Nah rubbers will be fine for anther few years with such low km even though kz dont mean to much to rubber and wear

Also maybe a rear diff gear swap for a more lively car

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:15 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

kramdrallim wrote:

barraea wrote:
kramdrallim wrote:
Nah rubbers will be fine for anther few years with such low km even though kz dont mean to much to rubber and wear
Also maybe a rear diff gear swap for a more lively car

Using the XR springs will be an upgrade but not a huge one.

I would recommend using Lovells spring in the ride height that suits you, Sports Low or Superlows. Look at you shocks and struts as well as these will affect the handling, if going to superlows, you will need to change them anyway.

Bushes and rubbers will have a huge effect on handling as will the type of material, Rubber v Polyurethane v Nolathane. Rubber has more give and flex. Personally I am in favour of the Polyurethane (Superpro) bushings myself. Check you diff bushes especially, they are know to flog out early.

Upgrade the swaybars as this will be a major improvement to your "Hard Cornering".

Good tyres are a big thing with cornering as well, a decent tyre v a crap tyre can change the way the vehicle corners significantly.

By 16" rims, I assume that you mean the steel rims?

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:24 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

That's good info swc thanks mate. And yeah I would like to keep the standard black rims if I can get away with it. It's gotta look bog stock but go down the road sweet. Do you do tis stuff for a living SWC?

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:31 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

kramdrallim wrote:
Do you do tis stuff for a living SWC?

look at he's sig [at the bottom of he's replies]

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Fairmont AU

VIC, Australia

Are you looking at any powerplant modifications? what power unit do you have onboard at the moment? keen to hear about this.

AU Fairmont - 4.0L I6 INTECH

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:32 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Yeah TJ, it's the standard 6 in it at the moment. It's a fresh motor though so I believe a turbo etc. is on the cards. I want to set it up for good economy cruising on the highway with a bit of extra boot for fun mode in the hills. Running gear first though, there's no point having a great motor in a wet sponge.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]