Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: Aircon???
Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

QLD, Australia

@ SWC

Thanks mate, wasn't sure about the AU.

I have noticed I definitely have a loud noise from the inside fan when switching on Fan Speed 1 to Speed 4.

A person I know has a Ford AUIII , when they have the fan speed selected from 1 to 4, its almost quite as a mouse with plenty of air being delivered

If it is the fan blower bearing, might be a difficult job to remove and replace.

Any clues as to how to go about this one?

Cheers

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:44 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

more than likely its leaves or something in the airbox..

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hi Troy,

I had a look inside where the fan is, could not see any debris, I'll record the sound using my videocam and place it up on youtube with a link later today.

Might be a bit easier than to describe it by text. Later today I'll upload it with the link.

https://youtu.be/ZPq2z2jPXWs

I'm t sure whether the noise being generated is normal or other.

Unfortunately a lot of air has been recorded which the mic has picked up

Cheers, Peter

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Quote:
I'm t sure whether the noise being generated is normal or other.

Sounds fine by the standard of my AU2 Peter.
I have heard what sounds like the odd leaf in them over the years but figured that as the leaf dries out it just gets chopped up by the fan over time :lol:
cheers
Graeme

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hello Grime,

Thanks for taking time out to hear it. Just seems a lot of noise but very little air being blown out on the high setting.

I accept the noise may be standard when comparing, surely there should be more "air" being forced out.

Maybe I have a tear somewhere that might be allowing air to leak out.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:54 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Actually by coincidence I had the aircon serviced yesterday by a Repco service centre and when I explained that I wanted the orifice tube replaced they came out with the old compressor will need checking etc etc and probably replacing.
Now last summer,I had developed the,aircon blows cold from point A to B then stop for fuel or whatever and it only blows hot air from point B to C then fine from C to D.Having read on here about the orifice tube blockage I had a fair idea of what was wrong but the weather started to get cooler so I was able to put off the service till the first hot day this spring.
So back to the Repco place yesterday,they evacuated the system and checked the the tube, which was found to be partially blocked.
Now this is weird and shows to me that this problem must be regularly missed by today's "replace expensive items first at the customers expense techs" because they had no replacements in stock and had to have one couriered in from Melbourne (I believe you can get the orifice tube on EBay for about $6)
The tube was replaced,the system was re-gassed found to have no leaks and seemingly works 100%
All up just under $200.
I have had a listen to my fan this morning Peter with the ignition off and it does roar on four,of course the note changes when you start the engine and the vacuum opens the behind dash doors and valves etc for the different positions.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:59 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Grime wrote:
this problem must be regularly missed by today's "replace expensive items first at the customers expense techs" because they had no replacements in stock and had to have one couriered in from Melbourne (I believe you can get the orifice tube on EBay for about $6)
You'll get one from a Burson outlet for around $6. It sits in the solid pipeline passing by the intake airbox - look for a union - the orifice tube fits in against what looks like a hexagonal crimp in the pipe.
Without gauges, visually while the A/C is running, if the pipe freezes on the firewall side of the orifice tube, you have a blockage. This means too the compressor is drawing little refrigerant (and little lubricating oil), so get it sorted, as the compressor will fail eventually. Also, the reason why there is rubbish in the system needs to be found.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Hi.

There is a "valve" called an orifice tube valve which is located in the inlet tube that runs from the box and goes over the passenger side wheel arch then runs down under the various air filter tubes etc and then back to the firewall and into the dash. The valve is located slightly above the spot where there is a connection point that can be opened with a spanner. This valve can become blocked. When this happens you will lose cooling to the inlet tube and thus to the interior car. The loss of cooling usually occurs from the passenger side first and then gradually across to the driver's side as gas which is still inside the internal/dash part slowly runs out.

To test if the orifice valve is blocked turn on the air con and let it run for a few minutes. You will see the tube above the valve get frosty and cold while the tube below the valve stays warm - this indicates that there is a blockage and the gas cannot get through.

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT CONTINUE TO TRY AND USE THE AIR CON WHILE THE VALVE IS BLOCKED BECAUSE IT WILL KILL YOUR COMPRESSOR AND COST YOU AROUND $1500 TO GET REPAIRED.

Stop using the air con and get a replacement valve installed for a cost of around $200 - $250. This will fix the problem. I have had to replace mine twice. If the valve is blocked with metal filings it may indicate an issue with your compressor and the advice will be to replace it.

:D

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:39 am 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

Hi All,

I am having the same issue with my T2TE50 - it blows a mist-like gas into the cabin...it happens when the AC is on or off (although it is largely on most of the time!).

Should I look at replacing the orifice tube as a starting point? How accessible is it in a Windsor?

Sorry to the OP for chiming in...just figure that it is relevant!

Many thanks,
Steve

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Hey... if the Aircon is working (it gets cold) then I wouldn't worry about the 'gas' it's most likely just condensation.

In terms of replacing the Orifice valve I don't know much about a Windsor but as soon as you unscrew that orifice you are going to lose all your gas.

It will need to be re-gassed once you have replaced the valve. Replacing the valve should be a relatively easy process (you just need a pair of needle nose pliers to grab it and pull it out). When the new valve goes in it will need a film of the AC oil applied. There are a few sites on the internet showing you the basic process... my advice is: pay someone to do it.. unless you have access to the refrigerant gas to regas your system.

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

dcstraight wrote:
Hi All,

I am having the same issue with my T2TE50 - it blows a mist-like gas into the cabin...it happens when the AC is on or off (although it is largely on most of the time!).

Should I look at replacing the orifice tube as a starting point? How accessible is it in a Windsor?

Sorry to the OP for chiming in...just figure that it is relevant!

Many thanks,
Steve

The windsor is in the same place as the 6. Mine was blocked on my XR8 and wouldn't come out, i had to replace the pipe with a spare I had from the VCT 6 I wrecked.

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:21 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Au ute lpg turbo

QLD, Australia

Where are the gauge ports for the aircon ?
High side is near the strut top drivers side... but the low side port?????

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:21 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Au ute lpg turbo

QLD, Australia

Where are the gauge ports for the aircon ?
High side is near the strut top drivers side... but the low side port?????

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3