Xy brake upgrade help please 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Xy brake upgrade help please
Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Xy

QLD, Australia

Hey Guys,
Please help, I am currently building a 71 Xy sedan and am looking to upgrade the front brakes to allow for V8. Currently drum all around. I have heard that you can put XF front brakes on an Xy. Can anybody confirm this as I have lined up a set I can take straight from XF and put on. If so is there any other changes I need to make, like the The suspension etc to make this work.

Also as it was set up for 6cyl (master cylinder only) what are my options with booster and master cylinder set up? Can I use the XF booster etc?

I have pumped huge $$$ way more then I wanted to into the motor, interior and body so being that I am way over budget I am wanting to get this don't in a cost effective way....safe but cost effective.

Any advice out there would be much appreciated
Thank you
Ross

Post subject: Re: Xy brake upgrade help please
Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

The XF stub axle should go straight on to the XY ball joints, but you may need to swap the outer tie rod ends for a later model (XB for example) as the tapered hole may be different. The flexible brake line is different, but not hard to figure out.
The master cyl and booster assy from the XF may fit, but make sure the master cylinder is for a drum-brake rear setup. You will also have to replace the rear wheel cylinders to match the master cylinder, or the rear brakes will keep locking. You may need to fiddle with the firewall mounts to get it to fit right, as well as the pushrod to brake pedal. Nothing too drastic though. Good luck.

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks heaps mate.that is very helpful info. Much appreciated

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

All good. 8-)
Don't forget, the later disc brakes will have the bigger centre hub, as opposed to the XY drums (and discs) that have the smaller centre. Just FYI, if you have early-style wheels.

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:32 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Hey mate,
I picked up A doner cat and it had some discs on the front and I noticed the hub was bigger so yeah I have to use larger centered wheels which shouldn't be a problem cause I think from all the reading around xb is when the wheel hub size changed.

I found something else interesting... When I pulled the discs off the doner car (appear to be xf) and swapped it with the drums off the project car I found the mounts
On the stub axel to be longer ( measured distance between top ball joint and bottom ball joint mounts)
On the later model one by about 10mm. So when I put them in the project it's all going to sit about 10 mm lower. I hope any issues with th tire alignment etc can be fixed with adjusting the pitman arm adjusters.
Have you come across this before?

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Mate, it's been way too long, and I've killed way too many brain cells to remember all the details. My old XT (late '68, so same as XW) had XF stubs on it - fitted them in a weekend to change from drums to discs, back when I worked at a Ford wrecker. The boss told me they wouldn't fit, but it all dropped in neat, just had to d**k around with the brake lines a bit. Even used an XD master cylinder and rear wheel cylinders. Hey, I was in a shed full of Ford parts, and used what fitted, and was cheap / free. The wheels I had were already big-centers, so that was no issue, and the discs made a huge difference to a 351c/4 speed car. :twisted:
From memory, there was an issue with the outer tie rods, but nothing too hard, especially with the parts bin I had access to.
Good luck with it. 8-)

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:04 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2006 BF RTV

VIC, Australia

Another thing is, if you've got the PBR cast iron caliper, the calipers off a Valiant bolt straight on and have a bigger bore.

If you're doing the XF upgrade, I have heard that WB calipers are another step up from XF's (larger bore) but the WB calipers need to be ground a bit to fit happily in the XF cradle

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]