Fordmods Logo

EB XR6 - Throttle cutting out under load and car lunges 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EB XR6 - Throttle cutting out under load and car lunges
Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:37 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hey Guys I'm having a bit of strange problem with my 1992 XR6S Manual. I just bought the car a few weeks ago and have been absolutely loving it, however over the last week I have been having an issue with the car which is making is almost undriveable.

Originally I had a couple of incidents when, in the lower gears, I would be driving along and the car would lunge forward pretty violently and at the same time the accelerator would go dead. This has been happening increasingly and I have been noticing it in pretty much all gears. When gears 1-3 it seems to be the same, driving along and suddenly bang! The car lunges forward (feels like hitting a wall almost) and the throttle cuts out until I take my foot off the gas and put it back on. When in gears 4-5 the throttle simply cuts out and I need to take my foot off the pedal and back on, but theres no lunge.

When I bought the car the only issue it had was a low idle so I've swapped out the TPS which seems to have fixed the idle issue, the lunge had happened one time before I switched the TPS so im not sure if its related. Another thing since replacing the TPS is that I hear a loud click coming from around the manifold when I accelerate / decelerate but this doesnt seem do have any other negative effect on the engine.

Wondering if you guys have any idea what might be going on or had similar issues?

Post subject: Re: EB XR6 - Throttle cutting out under load and car lunges
Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:20 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ea falcon

NSW, Australia

Sounds like bad fuel pressure. Have you checked the filter and sock on the fuel pump.

Could be also that the pump itself is giving up too.

EA falcon(S-Pac) AU engine and injector's, EL BBM conversion,K&N pod,EL ECU,T5 5speed,EL Streering rack, EL Brake system, Extractor's 2 1/2in high flow cat, through 2 1/2in mandrel bent pipe with Lukey Performance muffler

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:11 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

So I swapped out the fuel pump and it actually seemed to solve to the problem... For about 2 days of driving before it started up again tonight... I think it may still be a problem with the fuel system although I'm not sure where. I didn't swap the filter yet as I was told it was changed about 5000km ago. Perhaps the fuel pump is losing power intermittently? nit quite sure where to go from here.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:46 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Guys it's finally fixed, when I bought the car the first thing I changed was the TPS due to a dodgy idle. Turns out the TPS I put on wasn't the best quality and the electricals were bugging out when the car was hot. Finally replaced it and it's been running good for about a week now so fingers crossed...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]