VSS sender testing 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: VSS sender testing
Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1962 falcon wagon

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys
Does anyone know how to test the VSS sender from a BTR auto? I have done an EFI 5.0 swap into a 62 falcon wagon from EB fairmont and cant seem to get the cable -x box running to operate my mechanical speedo. I have run the ECU and TCU codes and no VSS code has come up. The VSS has been supplied with 10 volts from the original EB gauge cluster. Any hints on testing this without an oscilloscope would be appreciated.
Cheers

Post subject: Re: VSS sender testing
Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Mustang

VIC, Australia

I have done a similar thing, 96 roller cam Windsor into my 69 Mustang and am having trouble with the VSS putting out a signal. The auto (EB XR8 TCU) diagnostics code 36, no VSS signal. I found a friend with a similar auto and got underneath plugged a spare sender into their loom beside the auto and spun it with a drill. With the ignition on his speedo moved. Then I knew the sender was OK. Also checked the voltage going to the VSS in his car. It was a constant 9.3v (really 9v would be close enough). I have 12 v in my car so before I put the replacement in I will step the voltage down. I have wired the signal wire in the sender direct to the TCU as per diagrams. There is so much silence when it comes to the specs on these VSS, its amazing.

A Bosch bulletin talks about faults if VSS clamped down too tight and mentions 'Hall' switch. So I assumed it was a hall effect VSS which I thought was square wave, yet others say it is magnetic and is sine wave. Then I can't find out how many pulses they output, eg 10000 per kilometre etc.

Anyway I digress, The test I did proved that the VSS worked. I move on from there.

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the reply mate. Got it all sort d thanks to the guys at shiftkits.com.au and some advice about a step down resistor. Cable-x working, car on road and driving well. Good luck with your project. :wink:

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Mustang

VIC, Australia

Great news, now tell me the solution..............I'd love to know how it was sorted. My TCU comes up with the no signal code. I will be swapping the VSS and adjusting the volts down shortly. I have heard about the step down resistor. if you can tell me what you found. I would appreciate it.

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

It was 12 months ago now so memory is a bit sketchy. I think I used a 2k ohm pull up resistor from the signal wire to +12v. Signal wire then went to cable-x box (along with its +12v and earth to get the mechanical speedo cable drive happening. I am pretty sure the vss signal wire also went to the ecu, or tcu as per the wiring diagrams. I am pretty sure I also had code 36 until I sorted this out- the car still ran but was in limp home mode. might be best to call the guys from shift kits to make certain? Good luck.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]