Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Rough running XH
Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon xh

QLD, Australia

Hey guys

So I have had a few issues with my 96 XH Longreach ute
Broke down at a mates place and diagnosed it as a fuel issue as no fuel was being delivered to the regulator
Replaced
- Fuel pump (expensive bosch)
- Fuel filter (also the best one i could find)
- Fuel pressure regulator

Put the pump and filter in and it started but is running hell rough
- Coughs and splutters when first started and touching the accelerator
- Doesn't start if the car isn't primed at least 5 times (fuel being pumped buy turning key)
- Doesn't accelerate past 2400rpm (feels like its lacking fuel as its jolts back and fourth and carries on)
- Occasionally back fires if you try to give it some stick
- Drives normal at low RPM once engine has fuel

After buying a new fuel pressure regulator, i pulled the other one (that was not returning any fuel to the tank hence the purchase of a new one) and nothing came out the return line upon replacement.
This leads me to believe it is a fuel pressure (not volume) problem but am unsure of how it is lacking pressure. The fuel pump is new, fuel filters new, tanks been cleaned of all contamination.

Has anybody got any ideas of what it could be?
Wouldn't be the ignition coil would it?

Cheers guys

Post subject: Re: Rough running XH
Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:40 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Is the fuel filter connected the right way around? I know it's simple, but could be overlooked. Same goes with fuel lines at engine side...were they disconnected and reconnected to the same hard lines?

If all good, check the fuel rail, might be some blockage in there. Good time to change or clean injectors as well.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the reply

I have checked all that simple stuff which is why I'm turning for opinions. Don't really want to go folking out money on a car that isn't worth the value of repair. How hard is it to pull the fuel rail? DIY job or better to let the experts tackle it?.
Cheers

Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Before you worry about the fuel rail, you have to make sure you have enough fuel entering the rail and leaving the rail. Connect up a gauge and check the fuel pressure and flow entering the rail. If you cant get a gauge, remove the inlet fuel pipe at the rail and see what sought of pressure and flow you get when you crank the engine over. try and connect a long bit of hose to it so it will flow into a bucket.

Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:43 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I think I might just take it to an auto store as I don't have the equipment to be checking the pressure coming through the fuel line. What would be causing the lack in pressure though? Looked at the fuel line all the way through and it's not crushed anywhere. I'll take the fuel rail apart and see what happens.
Thanks for the replies

Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

lockykk wrote:
I think I might just take it to an auto store as I don't have the equipment to be checking the pressure coming through the fuel line. What would be causing the lack in pressure though? Looked at the fuel line all the way through and it's not crushed anywhere. I'll take the fuel rail apart and see what happens.
Thanks for the replies

Might be a long shot, and I know you cleaned the fuel tank and replaced the fuel filter, but pull the fuel filter out again and make sure it isn't blocked up again by blowing into it. It might be blocked up again due to debris somewhere else in the line. I replaced a fuel filter once and it blocked up quickly after installation, so I had to put a new one a few days later and it was fine again. Note though that I did not clean the fuel tank, so my issue was a dirty tank.

If the fuel filter is okay, check flow at the rail inlet hose...if there is no flow there, you have at least an idea of where the blockage could be. If there is flow, then something could be stuck in the fuel rail.

Also check if there is a blockage before the fuel filter...even though you cleaned the tank, something may be lodged in there before the filter, still gives flow, but not as much as it should.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

This is the most helpful thing I've heard. Thank you very much, ill be doing all that this weekend and ill post what the problem was in case anybody else has this issue.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Wagon 6

NSW, Australia

I'm curious: What was the problem, presumably solved by now?

EL6 :(

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]