Fordmods Logo

Building a mild/wild Ef Fairmont 4lt 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Building a mild/wild Ef Fairmont 4lt
Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 4.1 EFI XF Falcon S

VIC, Australia

Thought I'd not only share my plans for building up my Fairmont project car but also put my ideas out there for comment and criticism.

Typed via my phone so no photos as yet but I'll get some up soon.

As it sits, it has brand new plugs, leads, coilpack, fuel filter and soon a fuel pump too. Just covering the basics first, plus it was running pretty average.

Ive got a 2.5" catback on the way, soon to be mated to a high flow cat and some nice Tri-Y extractors. I'll also fit some 3" intake pipework and some form of CAI. Also toying with the idea of modifying the upper half of the bbm to allow the t/b to face the passenger side ratherthan the drivers. Unsure of any benefits but its cheap enough that if it makes no difference I haven't wasted much money.

J3 chip is on the cards also obviously.
The engine side of things, I've got a Wade 977b to go in, I'll be putting some double valve springs or just upgraded at least, retainers and collets also.

Considering getting a spare cylinder head to get ported and polished aswell as shaved perhaps?

My next predicament.. the same bloke the 977b came from also has a twin turbo kit to suit, and it's dirt cheap. So there's a fair chance that will find its way in my shed.

Can anyone point me in the right direction so that once I've built the motor up n/a, the new setup will compliment or at least work with the turbo kit? FYI the kit has two subaru forester turbo copies rated for 18-23psi so im told. I'd stay way under that cause i dont want my bottom end exploding haha

So yeah, any thoughts or advice would be great as I haven't started buying any bits yet.

Cheers guys.

Post subject: Re: Building a mild/wild Ef Fairmont 4lt
Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 91 EB S Pack

VIC, Australia

Hey mate.

Looks like it'll certainly be a wild build!

I have an AU head you can have although no idea of condition 'cause the engine it's on is seized.
Also have 3 or 4 EA\EB heads that are in working condition for $$ not much though.

Are you getting the exhaust done at Eagle Auto?
I mentioned about swapping the PH4499's to PH4480's for the exhaust I'm getting and the bloke wasn't too impressed, I can understand why though.

Also the factory ford cat is probably your best bet for a 2.5" system as they have a larger surface area than the aftermarket high-flow cats. This will no doubtedly all change if you're going twin turbo lol.

Something else to look at is aftermarket HV coil, I've recently purchased an Accel 140036 to go in my EB with the coilpack conversion I'm doing.
I have no experience with aftermarket coils but a strong spark can't be worse for it right, as long as its all setup properly.

Building for N/A power and building for forced induction power are two opposite ends of the scale i think.
While they share commonalities i think you want a low compression engine for smashing with boost while N/A you want high compression.

Also if you go turbo you'll want a log manifold as there's no benefit to the BBM with forced induction.

I've never liked Trees since, not one.
~ Vanessa Ives

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]