Fordmods Logo

What to do? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: What to do?
Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:10 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

I recently purchased a BA XR6T at a low price and intend as using it as a weekend performance car. Im hearing theres issues with the 4sp Auto at high amounts of power where as the ZF is a better box. Though Ford boxes arent made to take huge amounts of power do i sell and reinvest in a BF or look for an aftermarket box/performance kit for the 4sp? Any and all advice appreciated

Post subject: Re: What to do?
Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xr8 ute and soon xh v8 ute

WA, Australia

Id leave it alone until it blows up then look for a built zf or build a zf 6 speed and bolt it in thats what i would do if i was you

Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:16 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Hope you guys know that a ZF does not just "bolt in" to a BA and its as easy as that. :idea:

The most sensible thing id do is strengthen the 4 speed when it dies. How long it lasts depends on how hard you drive and abuse the car.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:50 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA Futura turbo t56

QLD, Australia

Preston autos and dominello build tough btr's with warranties, few reports on dominello say he takes forever to deliver the box though. I believe preston have a twin cam EL with a btr thats running 158mph and 800+whp, and few guys around running 9's in a b-series for a few years with a dominello box and no dramas.

Id say sell up and buy a bf if you want to do a zf swap, otherwise save 3-4k and get the BTR built, and i wouldnt get it done anywhere but those 2 places. To do a zf swap into a ba you'd be buying a wreck and swap all the wiring, box ecu, the whole shebang. You'd really have to be open to the idea of swapping everything drivers seat forwards really just in case you cant get away with only swapping the engine looms. Theres also bugger all info available as well so you'd be doing it blind.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]