EF Fairmont climate control vacuum hissing constant 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Fairmont climate control vacuum hissing constant
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: four wheels and an engine

VIC, Australia

Hi

My EF Fairmont 's climate control is always on constant vacuum (hissing sound). What is the risk of this (im thinking wrong air/fuel mixture values on bbm and map sensor since its a vacuum leak and will affect economy) and how would i go about fixing it?

Thanks

Kayihan

Post subject: Re: EF Fairmont climate control vacuum hissing constant
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:20 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

There is a vacuum control box behind the glove box where vacuum hoses go to different vacuum actuators to control your vent flaps. You will have to go and look at each actuator and hose to find out which one is hissing.

It is a whole dash out from what I remember. Found one of my actuator housing was cracked for the flap controlling cabin/outdoor air flow. Now mine is a constant fresh air since I just plugged the end of the hose, rather than fix the solution. In hindsight...should have just replaced the actuator.

Vacuum leak will contribute to poor fuel economy, by how much I am not sure. It also affects the idle...bit rougher.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Thank you Phongus!

I will take a look at that. Dash out i think, unless i remove the glove box and ask some skinny kid to put his hands thru :lol:

Since its dash out, I was thinking of doing a dual airbag upgrade for my EF. If I know what is required of the dual airbag upgrade, I can go along with it and get them both done at the same time hopefully?

And, its affecting fuel economy, and sometimes a rough idle. Not much, but slightly annoyingly there.

Cheers for the help :)

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

ahmedkayihan wrote:
Thank you Phongus!

I will take a look at that. Dash out i think, unless i remove the glove box and ask some skinny kid to put his hands thru :lol:

Since its dash out, I was thinking of doing a dual airbag upgrade for my EF. If I know what is required of the dual airbag upgrade, I can go along with it and get them both done at the same time hopefully?

And, its affecting fuel economy, and sometimes a rough idle. Not much, but slightly annoyingly there.

Cheers for the help :)

No worries. I would suggest finding out a rough location of where the hissing noise is coming from. Could just be a simple hose at the vacuum box which can be accessed without pulling the dash.

I would suggest doing the dual airbag at the same time...saves stuffing around pulling the dash out twice. It's not an enjoyable job to do on your own.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ok ill be on it soon, cars outside and the weather is cold as.

If you happen to have a spare grey EL dual airbag dash lying around, let me know, I can drive down and pick up. I guess nothing needed to play around with, must be just plug and play? I thought the EF and EL dash wiring looms would be different because of the ECU connectors were different. Im not sure if they are all the same wiring though.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:57 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

ahmedkayihan wrote:
ok ill be on it soon, cars outside and the weather is cold as.

If you happen to have a spare grey EL dual airbag dash lying around, let me know, I can drive down and pick up. I guess nothing needed to play around with, must be just plug and play? I thought the EF and EL dash wiring looms would be different because of the ECU connectors were different. Im not sure if they are all the same wiring though.

I'm unsure about the dual airbags and how the wiring is laid out for single versus dual airbag setup. Bought my car with dual airbag already installed. Someone else will need to chime in on that, although it would be a good idea to do both the vaccum fix and airbags at the same time...more efficient use of time.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]