Fordmods Logo

EF engine loom in to box car 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EF engine loom in to box car
Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: G6e

SA, Australia

So just wondering what is involved in fitting a EF coil pack set up and ecu in to a box car?

Do I need to replace the pcm and dash loom also or can I just simply replace engine bay loom and ecu and she should start?

Post subject: Re: EF engine loom in to box car
Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:13 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

EF PCM is 104 pin vs boxcar and EL with 60 pin...

You'll need the engine loom and computer loom... The computer loom wont plug into the dash loom or engine bay loom so you'll need to cut and change plugs...

Or do with I did in my ED with AUII gear and fit looms from headlight to tail light...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
EF PCM is 104 pin vs boxcar and EL with 60 pin...

You'll need the engine loom and computer loom... The computer loom wont plug into the dash loom or engine bay loom so you'll need to cut and change plugs...

Or do with I did in my ED with AUII gear and fit looms from headlight to tail light...

Cheers,
Tim

Ok well not what I wanted to hear

But I've got the entire ef here for parts so how would you go about it for ease of installation

I was hoping to eventually fit the ef dash also but if it's easier in one hit I shall

Any tips please

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

If you're gonna do the dash do it now... Most of my stuffing around was changing the dash plugs on the AU dash loom to plug into ED gear...

Or as I said fit the engine and computer loom because they're too hard to modify and change the plugs on the ends of the computer loom where is plugs into boxcar looms and do the dash later on...

Your call... At least you're doing smartlock to smartlock with similar things in similar places... ABS may or may not get sexy, I don't have it so I don't know much about them between models... EF/EL use the cruise module next to the booster... Box car uses a vac pump and separate module so that will vary... Most other things, providing its the same series (low or high looms), should work I think...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
If you're gonna do the dash do it now... Most of my stuffing around was changing the dash plugs on the AU dash loom to plug into ED gear...

Or as I said fit the engine and computer loom because they're too hard to modify and change the plugs on the ends of the computer loom where is plugs into boxcar looms and do the dash later on...

Your call... At least you're doing smartlock to smartlock with similar things in similar places... ABS may or may not get sexy, I don't have it so I don't know much about them between models... EF/EL use the cruise module next to the booster... Box car uses a vac pump and separate module so that will vary... Most other things, providing its the same series (low or high looms), should work I think...

Cheers,
Tim

Ok

Cruise control i am leaving out smartlock is getting disabled via j3 tune

Cars manual but the ef is automatic but I'll definitely be fitting the loom as is so when I go auto it will be sitting waiting idle

Heater box and attachments I am planning to use from the ef as I'll be upgrading to climate control

How about fuse box wiring etc will that be much problem now as I will be using dash and engine loom and ecu etc?

So where do you suggest I start? Dash out of ea and then refit ef dash and engine loom? Engines coming out also so that's easier again for room

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

You'll only need to bridge out the inhibitor switch then to make it start with the auto wiring... Get the J3 tuned as a manual... Change it back to auto later...

Can't help you with climate control... The system is a POS in my opinion so I have never looked into them... I like a nice manual slider... If I'm hot I slide it to cooler and vice versa if I'm cold... The auto climate has a blend door motor that s**t itself and that solenoid block that does the same... Never had a manual HVAC system fail me... You'll have to compare the two yourself there...

If you fit the dash all in one go your fuse box will be fine as it's integrated into the dash... The dash loom will plug into the engine bay loom and you'll mount the EF/El fuse box beside the header tank and then battery lead onto the battery... The fuse block will mount in boxcar easy... Cut the bottom bracket off the header bottle bracket on the EF and bolt it back to the boxcar and there is a flat section in the mudguard already for the top mount...

Strip the interior from the EF... get all the wiring loose and out of its clips... Strip your EA and swap one loom at a time to help you keep track of their layout, location and plugs... Do the doors one by one (I reckon the EA looms wont plug into the EF body harness, most plugs changed)...

Your biggest issue will be converting the handbrake over to fit the EF centre console in... People on here have done it... Search for it if you like... I hate the EF/EL dash so hence the boxcar dash I still have didn't pose any handbrake issues...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:29 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Ahh door looms there is nothing to them in a ea all manual only a after market central locking system which I wired in my self but I'll be fitting the ef trims and power windows also so looks like I got a lot of work ahead but glad it's all plug and play

Also a/c it's there I won't be getting it regassed so it's just decoration and heater only maybe eventually I'll Mount the ef condenser with the ef ac pump and regas il be using I just find it easier to connect up the climate control and heater box then muck with vacuum lines

Hand brake when have we used hand brakes on falcon I just plan to bend the ea to Ed one as I have read people have in past and used ef el dash

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]