Stage 2 J3 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Stage 2 J3
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:15 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Fairmont

SA, Australia

Howdy,
I recently purchased a j3 chip via ebay, im quite happy with the overall performance of the car after installing the chip but possibly needs some tweaking still, car runs very rich, pig on fuel like ridiculously, misses slightly when hot and surges between 2500 3000rpm, should i send the chip back with a dyno sheet for a retune? Or is it because im using factory ed ecu, i have an au ecu lying around or would it be better to spend some money on an ef xr6 ecu, or even leave stock ecu and unplug chip?? Was going to unplug chip today just to see of i get better economy....Anyone with any tips would be greatly appreciated as this is a first for me and not to sure where to go from here
Thanks in advance

Also mods are as follows, stock ed man ecu, j3 stage 2, stage 2 crow cam/springs/lifters, genie extractors 2.5 inch mandrel exhaust w/ high flow cat and one muffler

Post subject: Re: Stage 2 J3
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:17 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

ED_parkesy wrote:
Howdy,
I recently purchased a j3 chip via ebay, im quite happy with the overall performance of the car after installing the chip but possibly needs some tweaking still, car runs very rich, pig on fuel like ridiculously, misses slightly when hot and surges between 2500 3000rpm, should i send the chip back with a dyno sheet for a retune? Or is it because im using factory ed ecu, i have an au ecu lying around or would it be better to spend some money on an ef xr6 ecu, or even leave stock ecu and unplug chip?? Was going to unplug chip today just to see of i get better economy....Anyone with any tips would be greatly appreciated as this is a first for me and not to sure where to go from here
Thanks in advance

Also mods are as follows, stock ed man ecu, j3 stage 2, stage 2 crow cam/springs/lifters, genie extractors 2.5 inch mandrel exhaust w/ high flow cat and one muffler

EF & AU ECU won't work as they are coil pack and the ED ECU Plug will not fit.

You say that it is running rich, check that your MAP sensor is connected to vaccum.

When was you O2 sensor last changed?

Unplugging the chip and seeing how the car goes will give you an indication if you have an issue with the J3 chip.

Who did you purchase the chip from?

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:08 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Sorry for late reply,
Just a quick update on whats happening, i can definitely rule out the j3 chip car ran worse without it, going to try upgrading 02 sensor and get a dyno, seems like i may have a faulty ICS as well, does strange things and runs perfect disconnected....

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 91 EB S Pack

VIC, Australia

I had roughly the same issues when i bought my chip from T.I.

Jason was extremely patient in diagnosing the problem and very helpful with my requests.
Turns out it was just the idle screw on my throttle body.

Quote:
On 01/12/2014 6:29 pm, Jason wrote:
Hi Tom,

Do you get this same behavior with no chip fitted?

My instructions for setting the base idle do not require putting the ECU in any mode (even if they did, you could remove the chip to get into timing mode). Follow the instructions here http://www.tiperformance.com.au/Documen ... ctions.pdf

The most common cause for this is a vacuum leak. Even a faulty throttle body (some modified ones leak air when closed) can cause this - but you don't list a modified TB in the mods when you ordered.

Cheers,

On 1/12/2014 7:14 PM, Tom wrote:

Adjusted the idle like your doco says and low and behold everything works.
Thanks heaps man.

I've never liked Trees since, not one.
~ Vanessa Ives

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:26 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Just thought id share i spent quite a bit of time locating disconnecting and refitting every vacuum hose with hose clamps and trimmed any cracked ends today before i took the the fairmont out for a 500km+ squirt to melbourne for the weekend and it seems i have fixed the problem, car runs perfectly with no hang and improved economy greatly, very happy, thanks for all the help....

To anyone having similar issues the main culprit was the christmas tree hiding near the dizzy under inlet man that the pcv hose joins to

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA II XR6 / AU Fairmont Ghia III

QLD, Australia

Excellant news...

I am about to send Jason my catch codes.

Just doing my own thing...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]