El fuel consumption 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: El fuel consumption
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:27 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: El Futura Classic

QLD, Australia

Hey guys recently bought a el futura classic with 103000km off an elderly gentleman, I was just wondering what fuel consumption should I be seeing out off a full tank of 95 from full to a quarter tank, I never run the car under a quarter tank of fuel and I'm only getting 350km/ 400km if I push it, econ mode on 99% of the time is this a reasonable amount?

Post subject: Re: El fuel consumption
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Work out your L/100km and see what you are getting.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ef xr6

VIC, Australia

Mrmitch, has the car been serviced regularly? Check the air filter, personally i would replace it. Check the plugs, clean the throttle body, if this is dirty the butterfly in the throttle body wont close back properly increasing fuel consumption. Also ford sell a product called R 1 6 its an upper cylinder clean. This works extremly well in breaking down carbon inside the engine. When i got my ef xr6 i wad getting 18.6l per 100 i did all of the above and went for a reasonably long drive to get the cat hot and burn off excess crap. I now average 11.9 to 12.6 city driving. Mine had 129000 on it

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:33 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
Work out your L/100km and see what you are getting.

I also suggest to do this first.

Reset your odometer after you fill the tank. Drive as you normally would and then fill up again noting how many litres you used up and how far you travelled since you reset the odometer. This will give you an actual fuel consumption and then you can go from there.

As a guestimation from me, 1/4 of a tank on the fuel gauge means less than 1/4. A quarter of 68L is 17L, but I'd guess you might only have about 15L left, that means you used up 53L in 400km (best case scenario). That gives you 13.25 L/100km. If that is majorly city driving with lots of stop start, I'd say it is reasonable for a stock aged car, although probably can improve a little.

Check your Oxygen sensor, it may not have been replaced in a long time and if they are not functioning properly, it will contribute to high fuel consumption.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]