AU XR8 into NL LTD 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: AU XR8 into NL LTD
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Everything starts with an E

WA, Australia

I have a 1997 NL LTD V8.
I have a 2002 XR8 Tickford signature handbuilt 302 windsor 220kw V8 out of a series 3 AU XR8.
The 1997 NL LTD had an inlet manifold leak that I fixed with the lower inlet manifold (off the XR8) and Explorer manifold conversion that made it run better. However today ive found the 1997 NL LTD's 302V8 has a cracked timing cover, and low compression on two pistons. Im going to abandon ship on the LTD's windsor and ditch that donk for the AU tickford windsor. Im going to put the AU Tickford V8 into the 1997 LTD. Do I use the NL LTD's engine wiring harness on the AU engine? Do I run the 19lbs injectors and change the crank angle sensor for the dizzy and coil??

Any Help is appreciated

Post subject: Re: AU XR8 into NL LTD
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Stay with the E Series Injectors and Dizzy with the AU Engine, and like Pete recommended, use the AU MAF Housing with the E Series MAF Sensor. Keep your existing Wiring. The leads can be a little tricky but they'll work.

Changing to an AU EEC involves a little more work. you need an Additional Earth for the Drivers side O2 sensor, and all of the Trans Wiring Changes around. it will also break your A/C as the AU uses pressure sensing and requires the sensors for the AC where the E Series doesnt. All doable, but much complication.

I have put the AU EEC and Engine into an EL. I made it work by using the AU Alternator Bracket, but the E Series P/S and A/C Bracket and Machining about 6mm from memory off the mounting posts to get to the AU Depth. I also needed to trim the brackets a little more so that the AU Coilpacks would mount correctly. There was a little work on the electronics, mostly in removing the old TCM and a few little mods to wiring for the AU O2 Sensors.

The Car ran really well, but I was never happy with the AC. I did have it running, with an Arduino watching the climate control line for signal, and then switching the AC On/Off (bypassing the ECU) but It wasnt as good as factory.

Cheers

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

nigel .. yes ive thought about this .. and the AC climate control is an issue .. the au uses the data bus for temp and revs and maybe other things ive forgotten .. in the eseries the Climate control runs the AC but in AU the AC is run by the CC and ECU .. small problem becomes big ..

the au and eseries run a different bus so things surely wouldnt communicate .. was there any issues with getting the dash to work?

one major advantage the AU has, in my book, is a proper diagnostic code and live data output ..

why not just run the eseries AC compressor and lines?

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

You can run the E Series Compressor and lines - thats what I did. However the AU Pulleys are 6mm (or 12mm), Im fairly sure its 6mm closer to the engine. So you need to take 6mm off the e-series bracket "posts" to get the right alighnment. You then just need to measure up for the right Belt size.

If you do this though, you loose EEC Idle control of AC. It doesnt matter - it works anyway.

The EL Dash had no problem with the AU Data Stream - everything worked correctly.

The Climate control also gets data from the DOL Data Bus - Engine Temp etc. That all worked fine. The issue is that the Climate control vehicles all output a 100hz signal when AC is on so that the EEC knows that climate control is managing the car.

If you use the AU Pump, and lines you'll get the two sensors in the manifold just under the AC Compressor, and the AU EEC will actually respond to your Climate control 100hz signal and turn the AC on. Its kinda easier, but requires a custom host from the AC Pump to the Condensor. You also end up converting to the Reed valve setup (away from TX Valve) - so its a little neither here or there. Additionally, if you bypass the ECU with your AC you also loose the EEC Telling the radiator fans to come on - so you need to engineer a solution. Mine was a little arduino which listened for the 100hz signal, watched TPS (To disable AC > 50% throttle), and also turned the fans onto "Current +1" Speed when AC was on.

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]