Fordmods Logo

EF Mid Series Cluster 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Mid Series Cluster
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:43 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1997 Falcon GLi

Oustide Australia

Hi. My name is Hendrik and I reside in South Africa. I have a 1977 Ford F100 which I'm customising. I have installed a 1997 Ford F250 Triton V8 with a original PCM (ECU). I got hold of a 1996 Ford Falcon XR6 EF Mid Series Cluster. I cannot get the fuel, oil pressure, Temperature and Volt meter gauges working. I have a Ford Falcon wiring schematic, but I cannot find out which pin-out on the cluster needs to be wired for the gauges. I have followed this link (ford-technical-document-changing-instruments-d14), but it only indicates the warning lights pin-out numbers. Can anyone please assist with a full wiring schematic or instructions to wire the complete instrument cluster. Kind regards, Hendrik

Post subject: Re: EF Mid Series Cluster
Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

at the end of the tech doc you quoted is the pin outs for the cluster
eg. right connector pin 18 is the oil sender pin other end of which connects to oil sensor(for a gauge not a warning light) on the engine

fuel and oil have there own sender,wired directly to instrument cluster and require the sender to be correct one to match gauge

- volt and temperature are controlled by instrument cluster with the engine temp signal feeding off the ECU via bus wire (data wire)

check all your positive feeds and earths to instrument cluster are operating correctly as per tech doc

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:59 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1997 Falcon GLi

Oustide Australia

Hi Ted,
Thank you for the reply and I appreciate it very much. I did a random test on all the LHS and RHS connectors as per the attached link on my initial post. I have the original fuel pump and sender unit and I have connected all as per the pin-outs and only the warning lights go on, but no gauges.
For example: I have connected the RHS connector earth, power and ignition wires as per the Pin-outs - Pins 1 (signal earth to fuel sender), 19 (Gnd), 20 (12v) and pin 11 (Ign). Pin 2 connects to the fuel gauge sender on the pump assembly, if I'm correct.. but no response on the gauge.
Secondly: Pin 14 (RHS) connects to the VSS+ to power up the odometer LCD?

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Are you saying you have original fuel sender that came with F100 or with the new dash assembly
Pin 1 should be a constant earth to dash and a constant earth to tank sensor (or just earth them to body)
pin 14 is the output from instruments to a trip meter if fitted -
pin 4 is the VSS pulse input signal for the speedo
try accessing www.fordforums.com.au. tech documents for instrument cluster self test procedure

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]