Fordmods Logo

1999 Falcon 4.0 pvan automatic-engine dies when accelerating 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: 1999 Falcon 4.0 pvan automatic-engine dies when accelerating
Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Hi All,

I'm having issue with my car and hopefully some of you can give me a hint of what can cause the problem.

Some time ago I've tried to start the car at the morning - it kind of choked and didn't start. Later that day at the evening it started without any issues - was working just fine for another few weeks.

Few days ago the same happened - couldn't start after "choking" - if I'm trying to start after that is sounds like the engine is dry. Turning ignition on few times to make fuel pump works doesn't help. After few hours it has started without issues.

Started it again and after few hundred meters engine just stopped at some point during the ride and it won't start again until next few hours.

Since that happened I've managed to start the engine and drive around my neighborhood - as long as I'm cruising with only very slightly using gas pedal everything is ok. If I only accelerate a bit harder the situation occurs again.

It has happened once that when engine stops during ride it was able to immediately pick up again so I could continue to drive - every other time it completely dies and need to wait few hours.

Battery is ok. Fuel pomp works (I can hear it when turning on ignition). Checked oil and air filter - all good.

I've googled a bit and it looks like it might be a issue with a coil or something called TFI module. I think it might be as well some air leak but couldn't find it anywhere under the hood.

Can anybody please advise referring to my assumptions regarding coil, TFI or air leak?

Will appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you all in advance!

Post subject: Re: 1999 Falcon 4.0 pvan automatic-engine dies when accelerating
Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

jstefanowski wrote:
Hi All,

I'm having issue with my car and hopefully some of you can give me a hint of what can cause the problem.

sorry .... didn't read the fine print.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EL Falcon GLi Wagon

QLD, Australia

jstefanowski wrote:
Hi All,

Some time ago I've tried to start the car at the morning - it kind of choked and didn't start. Later that day at the evening it started without any issues - was working just fine for another few weeks.

Few days ago the same happened - couldn't start after "choking" - if I'm trying to start after that is sounds like the engine is dry. Turning ignition on few times to make fuel pump works doesn't help. After few hours it has started without issues.

Started it again and after few hundred meters engine just stopped at some point during the ride and it won't start again until next few hours.

Since that happened I've managed to start the engine and drive around my neighborhood - as long as I'm cruising with only very slightly using gas pedal everything is ok. If I only accelerate a bit harder the situation occurs again.

It has happened once that when engine stops during ride it was able to immediately pick up again so I could continue to drive - every other time it completely dies and need to wait few hours.

Battery is ok. Fuel pomp works (I can hear it when turning on ignition). Checked oil and air filter - all good.

I've googled a bit and it looks like it might be a issue with a coil or something called TFI module. I think it might be as well some air leak but couldn't find it anywhere under the hood.

Can anybody please advise referring to my assumptions regarding coil, TFI or air leak?

Fuel filter? Injectors? Coilpack? Distributor (if it has one) You will just need to play detective. Could also be your fuel... when did you fill up last?

97 EL Wagon: 17x8 Advantis + 15 x 6 skid rubber, ported, polished & shaved head, AU gasket, 2.5" exhaust, injectors, Wade 977B, & much, much more

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Thanks for your comment.

I went to mechanic as couldn't find what was causing the issue. His first guess was that ignition module was broken but eventually it came out that he had to replace distributor and that fixed the problem.

Unfortunately I still got some issues with starting the car now but it is different thing and it looks like need some spark plugs regulation/synchronization - I'm taking a car today back to the mechanic.

If anyone interested I can post further updates on the issue.

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon BF XR6

NSW, Australia

Hey mate, I had a similar issue with my '06 BF, it could be your cat is choking the engine so that could be a thing to check

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]