Fordmods Logo

XR6 IRS 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: XR6 IRS
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU II XR6 VCT

NSW, Australia

Hi guys. I have recently bought a 2001 AU 2 XR6, and love it. It has one problem though. Sometimes, after its warmed up a bit, the left rear wheel clunks. It can be a pretty big clunk, and Ive been told the whole wheel "pivots and moves in and out at the front and rear edges". I haven't seen it, but I have felt it. Only at slow speed, and its probably a bit worse after reversing.

Ive got a badly broken leg, and am stuck in a wheelchair for a while, and cant work, so money is tight, and I don't want to chase things that are not the problem.

I can work on it myself still. It will just take days instead of hours.

I'm pretty sure its the CV. When I reversed slowly, it was a light thud thud thud thud thud in time with the movement of the car.

When I'm going 20km/h+ there is no problem at all. When I corner at low speed when its clunking, it stops, only to return in a straight line.

It IS coming from the back, and it IS coming from that wheel.

If anyone has any experience with something similar, I would love to hear it. Im pretty confident it will hold out till I can fix it. I just have to try not to give it a boot. That's hard coming from a diesel Patrol.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: XR6 IRS
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

That sounds far more like a bush or arm problem. CV's clunk, but they dont change your alignment when it happens.

Go to a SuperPro/Fulcrum shop and ask them to take a look and tell you how bad your suspension is. If your Brave, go to pedders and pay for their Suspension Check (The quote will scare you after)...

But make sure they explain whats going on. The Fulcrum Guys are pretty good.

Nigel

Post subject: Re: XR6 IRS
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU II XR6 VCT

NSW, Australia

Yeah, after thoroughly reading the gregory's manual, I reckon its the tie rod. After a bit more driving, the thud thud thud thud I thought was in time with the movement of the car actually isn't. This helps rule out anything that is spinning.

I don't have any SuperPro or Fulcrum places anywhere nearby. I think theres a pedders place pretty close. I'm in the Northern Rivers of NSW. We are pretty regional here.

It handles awesomely apart from the clunk at low speed, so having a look at their full report of whats needed will be a fun exercise.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]