Fordmods Logo

EF 302 conversion !!!HELP!!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: EF 302 conversion !!!HELP!!!
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 94 tickford enhanced xg ute

TAS, Australia

i got my hands on a 98 NL fairlane concorde with a 302 and it ran fine. i also have an EF gli that is straight. i dropped the 302, gearbox, dash, engine loom, ecu loom and dash loom into the gli and have it getting lights on the dash, fuel pump, clock and even air controls, but i cant seem to get smartlock and engine wont turn over either. everything out of the concorde has been swapped over (cruise control, airbag module, BEM, ECU, transmission control module ect ect. but i have no smartlock light with key on, off or ever :roll: . i have checked and changed fuses, relays and tried disconnecting neg and waiting a min to reset it but never comes on. the only thing i haven't changed so far is the body loom but i cannot see any reason why that would stop the smartlock from working.

Post subject: Re: EF 302 conversion !!!HELP!!!
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XF Falcon S Pac - 5L Efi

VIC, Australia

Hey mate, could it possibly some thing like a coded key? If you changed the body control module it will require the coded key to suit possibly... Could be wrong. I dropped a v8 from an Nc fair lane in my xf but was lucky enough not to have any smart lock issues but if I did I was going to (which I now have) put in a J3 chip. Check out that avenue too.

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Has the ignition been matched to the BCM?
maccamillion wrote:
i got my hands on a 98 NL fairlane concorde with a 302 and it ran fine. i also have an EF gli that is straight. i dropped the 302, gearbox, dash, engine loom, ecu loom and dash loom into the gli and have it getting lights on the dash, fuel pump, clock and even air controls, but i cant seem to get smartlock and engine wont turn over either. everything out of the concorde has been swapped over (cruise control, airbag module, BEM, ECU, transmission control module ect ect. but i have no smartlock light with key on, off or ever :roll: . i have checked and changed fuses, relays and tried disconnecting neg and waiting a min to reset it but never comes on. the only thing i haven't changed so far is the body loom but i cannot see any reason why that would stop the smartlock from working.

Has the ignition been matched to the BCM?

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:25 am 
Parts Gopher

TAS, Australia

[/quote]Has the ignition been matched to the BCM?[/quote]

i cant do that as the smartlock isnt functioning at all. until i get it to work, then i can set the new ignition but i just can work it out. after i made this thread, i went and did some fiddling and got the boot and fuel poppers working, the central locking and for a short moment, the cluster was displaying "blown bulb". i checked all lights and now the message no longer shows and all lights were fine. also, demist isnt working. i dont know if that is related to body loom though. i will be changing it tomorrow.[quote="SWC"]Has the ignition been matched to the BCM?

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:27 am 
Parts Gopher

TAS, Australia

matt_itchy wrote:
Hey mate, could it possibly some thing like a coded key? If you changed the body control module it will require the coded key to suit possibly....

that will need doing eventually but for the moment, i cant program ignition until i get smartlock working. im not even getting the light on dash.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Youve checked the interior light fuse, and youve made sure the interior light bulb is in and working??

Thats your starting point - as that circuit powers the smartlock system

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

TAS, Australia

Nigel wrote:
Youve checked the interior light fuse, and youve made sure the interior light bulb is in and working??

Thats your starting point - as that circuit powers the smartlock system

i have. when i pull the ctrl fuse, i loose lights on the dash and in the CC unit so i know fuse is good. BUT even with that, i dont have an interior light.... yes the bulb is good, and it worked before conversion but its not working now. i have checked the body loom-dash loom plug and even pulled dash forward today to check for missing plugs and wires and couldn't see anything out of the norm.
this is really starting to confuse me. everything seems to be fine... just not getting the light...

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

TAS, Australia

bump? i did the bcm starter bypass and got it turning over but still having no luck getting the smartlock light to come up.
i know smartlock is supposed to send a signal to the ecu, is there a way to manually send the signal? i don't want to fork out for a chip atm. don't really have the money for that.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

You can just swap the whole ignition barrel from the fairlane to the ef. The aren't hard to get out. With a chisel and hammer you can undo the security bolts that hold it on I did it to the NC I had. I thought I might of been able to use it on my XF but they are different size steering shafts. But Just eliminate that key issue first.

Does the door lock remote from the fairlane now work with the ef?

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:28 am 
Parts Gopher

TAS, Australia

matt_itchy wrote:
You can just swap the whole ignition barrel from the fairlane to the ef. The aren't hard to get out. With a chisel and hammer you can undo the security bolts that hold it on I did it to the NC I had. I thought I might of been able to use it on my XF but they are different size steering shafts. But Just eliminate that key issue first.

Does the door lock remote from the fairlane now work with the ef?

there was no remote and no ignition with the car. got it at auction at the local tip after police ordered it be picked up lol. apparently car was used in a chase or something.
but if i press the central locking button on dash, it works.
also from what i understand about smartlock, without the smartlock working, i wouldn't be able to program a key anyway. hasn't stopped me from trying several times though :roll:

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Yeah I'd imagine you will have to get ford to reprogram the fairlane BCm to suit your Ef key. How did you get the fairlane to run with no key/ignition? Can you just put ef,s bcm back in and try that? I don't think the BCm and computer have to match.

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

TAS, Australia

matt_itchy wrote:
Yeah I'd imagine you will have to get ford to reprogram the fairlane BCm to suit your Ef key. How did you get the fairlane to run with no key/ignition? Can you just put ef,s bcm back in and try that? I don't think the BCm and computer have to match.

i used a key from my zk fairlane (running xg tickford conversion) but the smartlock was working when i did that. light would flash, turn key, program it for 30mins and she started but now im getting nothing. ef bcm is very different. has 1 or 2 plugs and the nl one has 3 plugs

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]