my only thought is that they might not latch

have you pulled the heater out?

be interesting to see the final weight after you have done all this

RIP SCOTT

Post subject: Re: My AU XR6 HP Track Car #14
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

Yeah I will have to plan out what I plan to cut if anything. I am not really sure how much will come out with the door locks etc.

I have taken out the heater unit. It was about 12kg. I have taken about 220kg out so far.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Wagon/ 1967 XR

VIC, Australia

Good read so far be interested to see what you can get car weight down to, you'll have to come do a sprint round sometime so can have a look!

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ef xr6

VIC, Australia

Car looks like its coming along nicely mate. If you want to drop some major weight get rid of all the glass except for the windscreen and replace with perspex/lexcen. Have you given any thought to suspension yet?? Are you going to run front and rear spoilers??

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ef xr6

VIC, Australia

Car looks like its coming along nicely mate. If you want to drop some major weight get rid of all the glass except for the windscreen and replace with perspex/lexcen. Have you given any thought to suspension yet?? Are you going to run front and rear spoilers??

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

It is coming along but very slowly lately. I have had so little time but I will do an update soon. I have painted the floor, fitted my race seat and made up some door trims for it.

Have had a look at lexan but some tracks don't like it so I need to do a little more research first. I probably wouldn't do the rear window because I would imagine that it would be structural to an extent??

As far as spoilers go I was just going to leave the factory rear wing on, for looks only. I hope it is quick enough that I need them though :D :D

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:33 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

TUF250 wrote:
As far as spoilers go I was just going to leave the factory rear wing on, for looks only. I hope it is quick enough that I need them though :D :D

i do remember reading somewhere that the double rear tickford wing did work at like 150 ish kmhr
could have been a lot less been many years!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Time for an update. Things are happening, sometimes slowly but between a two year old and shift work, my time is stretched.

Since my last update I have mostly finished the interior. I will let the pics do most of the talking.

Floor painted, door cards made up (plastic), fire extinguisher fitted, steering wheel fitted, race seat fitted, anti - slip plates installed. I also removed some more wiring and a few bits and pieces.

I installed my new shifter, I had to rebuild the selector bushes too which was a custom job but it feels great now! I will make up a rubber boot to hide the cut out.

So I was ready to tackle some mechanical stuff again.

First, a new 26mm radiator. All new hoses and coolant flush.

Secondly new extractors. Pacemaker 4480 tuned length. I will be making a decat pipe soon.

Next was a new steering rack.

I also took some time to install a tow bar on our family territory for tow car duties!

I grabbed a good second hand gearbox as it was a good price and in great condition.

And that is where we are. There are a lot of little things that I haven't mentioned. Gearbox and diff service. Unfortunately the previous owner has stripped the thread out of the diff hat where the filler plug goes. I am considering options for that at this stage.

I have ordered bonnet pins, a new fuel pump and my brakes so more updates soon!

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Time for an update. Things are happening, sometimes slowly but between a two year old and shift work, my time is stretched.

Since my last update I have mostly finished the interior. I will let the pics do most of the talking.

Floor painted, door cards made up (plastic), fire extinguisher fitted, steering wheel fitted, race seat fitted, anti - slip plates installed. I also removed some more wiring and a few bits and pieces.

I installed my new shifter, I had to rebuild the selector bushes too which was a custom job but it feels great now! I will make up a rubber boot to hide the cut out.

So I was ready to tackle some mechanical stuff again.

First, a new 26mm radiator. All new hoses and coolant flush.

Secondly new extractors. Pacemaker 4480 tuned length. I will be making a decat pipe soon.

Next was a new steering rack.

I also took some time to install a tow bar on our family territory for tow car duties!

I grabbed a good second hand gearbox as it was a good price and in great condition.

And that is where we are. There are a lot of little things that I haven't mentioned. Gearbox and diff service. Unfortunately the previous owner has stripped the thread out of the diff hat where the filler plug goes. I am considering options for that at this stage.

I have ordered bonnet pins, a new fuel pump and my brakes so more updates soon!

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:39 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

awesome dude

how much fun is the steering rack install ! :P

have you done an aircon delete?

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

It was pretty fiddly but I am glad I did it. I paid Pedders about $600 to do it years ago, not worth that at all!

Air con delete done, I got one of the delete pullys. Works well!

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Update time.

A bit has happened with the AU recently. I am hoping that it will be able to have a test day on a track in the next month or so. In saying that the first time out will just be on street tyres with no cage. This will allow everything to settle in and I can bring it back home and go over it before a proper event. I hope to get the cage in the next few months with some semi slicks.

So, this is how the car has been sitting for the last 12 months.
https://goo.gl/photos/rz2Ve7BDTpbrXwpk8

Since my last update I have been able to do the following.

- New suspension (springs and shortened shocks)
- Brake upgrade which consists of BF Turbo brakes front and rear. New DBA T2 rotors.
- Braided brake line kit
- New tie rod ends
- Tail shaft loop
- Finished seat installation
- Bonnet pins
- Shift light
- External boot release (thanks Grippy)
- Brake ducting (not overly happy with this, will come up with a better setup after a test run)

Here is a few pics.

https://goo.gl/photos/PDioJzs5Yg8tKoq57

https://goo.gl/photos/H7cE4VQD6ExPVNvEA

https://goo.gl/photos/yBJioMHUe8iV3Dvy5

https://goo.gl/photos/ZsfrL1MLB2ixaYYq5

https://goo.gl/photos/VJx9TAYVjQAg9VNb8

https://goo.gl/photos/uiEx1HjKLDo9oGSd8

https://goo.gl/photos/dgGxptrx8fA8CgE8A

I was able to move it for the first time today which was exciting! I am really happy with the ride height too. I cant wait to take it for a drive.

Next is a new windscreen as I carelessly cracked this one when installing the dash a while back.

Once that is done I will put some stickers on it. Install a lightweight battery.

Then it is off to the suspension shop for a caster&camber kit and then to the exhaust shop for a new exhaust (planning no cat and a single muffler with a side exit near the drivers door.)

Once it has a wash and some stickers I will get more pics.

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ok time for another update.

Things have been happenign quickly of late, mainly because I want to get some track time in before the worst of winter sets in.

I am booked in for a track day at Sandown this Monday, the 13th of March. The day will mostly be a shake down day, to be honest I will be happy if I can just see the day out without anything breaking. As it is a new car with lots of work, I will be taking it easy and getting a feel for it to begin with. Very excited to finally hit the track after 18 months of building though!

So as for the update, I finally finished the suspenion, brakes and brake lines.

Next I wanted to do something with the air intake. I bought a set of headlight covers cheap as one had a crack. The cracked one was the one that covered the pod. I thought there was an opportunity to open it up and get some cool air in there. I am happy with the results. Should be no shortage of air on the track!

I made a bit of ducting up too.

Next the car went off for an exhaust. It is a custom job. No car. 2 hotdogs and a side pipe that exits in front of the passenger rear wheel to keep the fumes away.

Very happy with the results and it sounds ok too. No interference on the trailer.

Next it was off to my suspension shop. I had a camber kit installed with a track alignment. He went over the car and gave it the a-ok too. Only little issue is some movement in the steering shaft unis which I will look into soon.

Pic of the car being towed for the first time and a shot of the camber. It looks a lot more aggressive in real life but I can't get the camera to show it properly.

The front end feels very direct, can't wait to try it out at speed.

Next I picked up my new semi slicks, nothing super flash or expensive but it will do for starters, once my driving is up to it I will put on something better. Should be a big improvement over street tyres still. They are damn heavy. With the street falkens, the wheel/tyre weighed 16kg with used tread. These with new tread are 20.5kg. I was surprised!

Lastly, I fitted a small battery to save weight, had to make up a bracket. Being gel I can lay it on its side to drop the COG and it also saves 7kg over the big lead acid one. Wouldn't want to run a big stereo off of it but for this it will be fine.

And lastly, is a picture of it washed and ready to go. It has come a long way, I am pretty proud of it actually. Fingers crossed it drives well. Will post up some pics from the track day. I always welcome and comments or suggestions!

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EF-XR6/XG-6/XE-V8- project

You should be proud, it looks great :twisted: and you've done everything possible to maximize power to weight,I am hoping you'll do well and have a heap of fun doing it aswell,cheers Johnny.

XG DOHC-BARRA 182/Turbo kit/20% Underdrive and BA 4-SPEED + Tiptronic shifter

https://youtube.com/channel/UCaRUQ10of3FlOuSpvfapOtA

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Thanks mate! I will post up some pics and results.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next