Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: V8 Fairlane AU is it worth it
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NA / NL fairlane, 08 honda civic

QLD, Australia

Hi,

I have ended up with a V8 AU Fairlane, and am considering doing it up,

I noticed on Friday there was a car club and some had V8 Fairlane of that age.
This is a 2000 model.

The only issues it has is the paint is peeling, needs new tyres and has a little bit of rust where the boot strut sits.

would this car be worth fixing up?

Regards

Barry

Question.
What is the meaning of life?
Answer.
The condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

Post subject: Re: V8 Fairlane AU is it worth it
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

No. They are terrible cars. You should get rid of it. Give it to me, and I'll dispose of it for you.... :twisted:

No, they are very nice cars, and if the trim and mechanicals are good, and the body is mostly ok, you will have a very nice cruiser there mate. I am very happy with my AU3 V8 wagon - it is soooo much better than the EL, it is so hard to believe there is only 4 years between them. I'm still getting used to the AU front, and am hoping to find a good AU Fairlane front to fit to it one day.

Good luck with it. 8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:29 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

The trim is leather and is in surprisingly good condition the Dash is in excellent condition with no cracking. The woodgrain on the doors does seem to be falling off so may get real wood inserts done up, as for mechanical condition the engine is in perfect condition with exception to lower pipe that goes to the radiator needs replacing and bonnet struts need replacing.

There only the one part at the back where it rusted out, and I am thinking of grinding it out. Put a brace on it and welding the hole up (it's only the size of a 5c piece.)

The Exhaust needs to be tightened at the join because it has come loose but other than that it is fine.

the six disk stacker in the boot is a little stuffed however been looking for a suitable replacement but very few working ones around.

The main thing that makes me hesitate is from what I understand the AU was a very underwhelming car in general, and no one seemed to like it much, not sure about there Fairlane there don't appear to be many AU Fairlane around and even fewer V8 ones

Attachments:
WP_20151104_17_57_41_Pro.jpg
WP_20151104_17_57_41_Pro.jpg [ 461.91 KiB | Viewed 391 times ]

Question.
Answer.
The condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Ok, it looks like the roof has oxidised a fair bit since I have last looked at it. And the clear coat has started to peel now on the passenger side doors. So I am looking like I will have to sand the paint back on the roof, and the two doors and the rear panels to get this looking nice. I think I am just going to take my time with it and get it looking good.

Question.
Answer.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I'd have a go at fixing paint yourself. There are lots on videos and articles on the internet on restoring old paint. It doesn't need to be perfect.

I have black BA G220 and had a go myself. My paint is wearing. I did polishing by hand and it makes a great difference. It's a good feeling doing it yourself. I don't expect my car to be in show room condition. It's fun usable every day classic.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Bazzy wrote:
The main thing that makes me hesitate is from what I understand the AU was a very underwhelming car in general, and no one seemed to like it much, not sure about there Fairlane there don't appear to be many AU Fairlane around and even fewer V8 ones

from when they came out with the original whale teeth grille people have been soso about it [or was that the media?? ] ... but otherwise not a bad car. i drive a Au2 wagooon & prefer it over the BF my other half owns [except for the motor :roll: ]. IF your happy with the car . . . don't worry about other peoples opinions ... they don't own it!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]