Fordmods Logo

Machining stub axles- BUDGET BIG BRAKE BUILD . BRAKES ON 

Page 38 of 41 [ 603 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Post subject: Re: Machining stub axles- BUDGET BIG BRAKE BUILD . BRAKES ON
Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:50 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Series 2 ea

VIC, Australia

I built mine this way and have been circuit racing it for 3 years and it hasn't broken yet.

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Yeah, I'd think it would be strong enough - 10mm stock as a min thickness for the bracket.
I'm not getting mine engineered - but I will get the bracket holes and upright holes crack tested.

SWC wrote:
Do you have anymore pics of the brackets, mounts etc. Any extra's would be good.
What you see is pretty much it, not much different to Corey's - main difference of course is the fabricated bracket sits on the back of the upright, with a crush tube as a spacer for the upper caliper mounting bolt, what are you after in particular ?

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

I didn't use a jig . I get a collet that fits on the stub of the upright . and then put the stub/upright into the mill chuck .the upper ball joint rests on the bed .
I used a clamp set to clamp it down and screw jacks to support the lower ball joints .

This way the stub is square to the flat surfaces being machined . I checked with a square and spirit level to be sure before I started. I've used this method 3 times and you can take measurements from the rotor to the edge of the machined surface to see if its parallel .

Which I did and it was . also the caliper bracket sat in the middle of the rotor .

Give me a week and I could get a price on sourcing and machining uprights plus postage .

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:

Did you end up rectifying pedal feel?

It's hard to see in the photos, but were you able to get the bleeders on the calipers right at the top so all air is expelled from the piston cavity?

Cheers,
Tim

Yes I got the bleeders in the upright position ,so it bleeders face up .

El GT caliper is a c4 .it is apparently better than an au2 caliper. More expensive where as au2 caliper is around 50 a pair from wreckers .

I used a au2 steel brake booster to match the larger au calipers .
I have a xh xr6 and ef gli the brakes are that s**t compared to my El xr6 . I'm happy with it . pulls up fast ,no shudder ,nice pedal feel. You dont have to pugyout foot thru the floor to stop .

Its a basic kit , slotted te50 rotor , au2 caliper , hub machined from a rotor . and its 1000x better than any stock set up with slotted rotors expensive pads .

EBay still sell El GT rotor

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Slotted El GT rotor . pic is a generic one .

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 40&alt=web

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Well I'm doing it... Just trying to work out my spacings...

Was going to go with bf turbo 330mm calipers and discs... Possibly starting out with 298mm gear because it's cheaper esp second hand... Then just change out the caliper brackets and discs and have 330s that bolt straight up...

The bf discs (based on my measurements on my turbo) backspace the caliper frame into the middle of the upright tabs... And if I machine 8mm off the hub face to retain offset then it gets worse...

So I'm thinking the au disc has a shorter height... But I can't find au 330mm front discs on eBay... Te stuff is listed as 287mm? I can find 330mm rears... What was the actual go with au brakes?

Does anyone have a height measurement for these 330mm discs?

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:01 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
On DBA's website, they do have a PDF of all their rotors, and dimensions of each.
I found it very helpful finding the rotors I needed - and of course you could then order an equivalent other brand too, knowing they'd be same.

If it's for the ED Tim, you won't retain original offset with AU/BA rotors - the hat isn't narrow enough.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:25 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Na after scouring the DBA catalogue I think I've come to this conclusion... I have the calipers that I'll use anyway... The typhoon and similar have a narrow hat...

Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 227.71 KiB | Viewed 327 times ]

They're about the same price as the 330mm mustang rotors, but I feel like they'll be made available by dba for many years to come, where as I'm not sure how long an Aussie company will make rotors for a 94-04 imported US mustang...

These rotors are 32mm thick too so I need to check my BA/BF calipers to see if they'll take this...

I found the Au 330mm rotors... Now to just decide what is going to work the best... In the 4000 series with T3 slots they're all about $470 a pair...

Attachment:
1.png
1.png [ 6.44 KiB | Viewed 2372 times ]

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, must've not seen the Typhoon ones - you need around the 45mm hat height to get original E series +6 offset.
Getting mainstream rotors that will be available in the future is a good call, plus you could buy a spare set to keep aside, should last a while if you account for perhaps two machinings for a rotor.

Try these guys for your rotors - http://stores.ebay.com.au/Empowered-Auto-Parts/_i.html search 'typhoon' . They have a warehouse in Bankstown, reasonably priced, and were helpful, they use Fastway couriers which were quite quick - ask them to measure the inside hat so you can check your machined hub will fit in nicely.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIMPLED-SLOT ... 41854878f9

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Falcon-BA-FP ... 1693281000

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Falcon-BA-FP ... 43ea463ee8

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Well I measured my std BA/BF calipers today and with the pads in them (used pads with a bit of wear) I measured 31mm between them right open... So I better not get typhoon rotors... Don't want it to be too tight...

Attachment:
Untitled 2.png
Untitled 2.png [ 138.92 KiB | Viewed 309 times ]

I think the AU rotor seems to be the go...Plenty of configurations (including 2 piece for around $600 per rotor if you're feeling fancy)... Plus has 3mm of wear which means it should last 50% longer than
the others...

And based on old mates work in here 48mm should be fine even if I take 8mm off the hub face... I have done no machining yet... I want to get the rotors I will definitely use and then machine them too that... Not sure about this crack testing business that has been mention in here... Surely if I take .5mm cuts then it should upset the material's structure...

It'd be nice to get some virtually buggered discs to get it all set up, but I can't imagine they're so common... May have to just get some new ones... The AU ones are sold on ebay as individuals too so I can buy one and work it all out and then buy the other one later...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:50 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Just a quick kudos to Corey and this thread - I ended up making two sets AUII front calipers on 303mm Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape rotors. Both sets fit inside the factory 15" alloys and retain original offset. The pic below is from my EF XR6 wagon, it uses AUII brake hoses, AUII dual diaphragm booster, and AUII wagon mast cyl. The only clearance issue on final fit was the brake hose caliper mounting bolt rubbing on the alloy rim inside corner, so I needed to grind the bolt head a little. The fixed brake line bracket was extended out an inch or two to give the flex line enough slack. The brakes themselves were great straight off the bat - no noises, good stopping power.
I overhauled the AUII mast cyl, and didn't have it ready for the first test run, which used the complete setup, but with the EF/EL wagon mast cyl - took a fair amount of pedal force to stop, and brakes were very spongy. This corrected itself with the AUII MC, so it pays to match the hydraulic setup to the system.

Attachments:
BILD0622.JPG
BILD0622.JPG [ 175.78 KiB | Viewed 263 times ]

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Great job mate good work . Good to see this thread still going .

I have some au Tickford calipers from T series which I'm hoping to fit a 16" el xr6 rim to ,using 330mm rotors .
It will be a close fit but hopefully is possible .
How do the 303mm rotors preform. ? That maybe an option for me .

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, thanks mate - just good to see another thread proving these things can be done, and really at the end, it wasn't that hard at all.
I think the T calipers are C4's same as FBT's and EL GT. Smaller body than the AUII's, but the
twin pistons are the same size.
My rotors perform well, pretty much the only ones that would fit inside 15" alloys, and get the std offset. They are 26mm thick as well.

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Nah it was actually pretty easy to do . It's a Shame no one uses forums anymore only Facebook ,I see regular posts weekly people asking for better brakes on their E series.

Yes it's the C4 caliper . hopefully the smaller body will allow it to clear .I'm thinking it will because I tried to fit 16" xr6 rims to my current set up and the fins on the caliper stopped it fitting so if I was to machine them down it would of fit .

Are they a floating disc with hub or the standard E series one piece hub and rotor.

I current have a el disc rotor machined down to a hub with a slip on disc au te50 330mm

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 38 of 41  [ 603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next