Page 23 of 24 [ 346 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post subject: Re: Auto to Manual Conversion Guide
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:08 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Here is another member who did the conversion in their EL I believe. The colours vary between MAD and Falcon96XR6.

Falcon96XR6 wrote:
Colours can vary model to model,

4 wire plug is your reverse and neutral switch wires, 2 for reverse, 2 for neutral. Take a guess with them until you get reverse lights.

Then for the wires for the resistors, youll have to have a look at your colours.

Theyre in the round plug,

My colours were, 1.2k resistor beteen Yellow&black, white stripe.
And the 6.8k beteen Purple, light green stripe & black, white stripe.
4 wires total.

Yours may differ..

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Territory RWD diesel

ACT, Australia

:twisted:

Thanks Phong, things changed this morning after I posted, managing to pick up an EL manual ECU- so now I assume I can forget about the round white plug, and sort through the others.

These cross over models are a right pain, needed the AU Manual to do the valve timing........

Cheers

Kevin

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

phongus wrote:
Here is another member who did the conversion in their EL I believe. The colours vary between MAD and Falcon96XR6.

Falcon96XR6 wrote:
Colours can vary model to model,

4 wire plug is your reverse and neutral switch wires, 2 for reverse, 2 for neutral. Take a guess with them until you get reverse lights.

Then for the wires for the resistors, youll have to have a look at your colours.

Theyre in the round plug,

My colours were, 1.2k resistor beteen Yellow&black, white stripe.
And the 6.8k beteen Purple, light green stripe & black, white stripe.
4 wires total.

Yours may differ..

yes, I noticed when I did my EL that the colour codes for the wiring didn't match any of the ones I found online. (loom was EL fairmont ghia.) in the end I ignored the colours and just followed the pins on the ECU and put them in based on the pins needed.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:23 am 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

:evil:

And as an aside, I'm reglueing the engine to stop some leaks. The front reassembled without drama, turned it over to insert the new mains and bigs I'd waited nearly 2 days to get, only to find 144-250 ci bearings are somewhat different........

Btw, there is a plug on the auto loom that looks like an injector plug- what's that one for?

Cheers

Kevin

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:58 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

KevinED wrote:

And as an aside, I'm reglueing the engine to stop some leaks. The front reassembled without drama, turned it over to insert the new mains and bigs I'd waited nearly 2 days to get, only to find 144-250 ci bearings are somewhat different........

Btw, there is a plug on the auto loom that looks like an injector plug- what's that one for?

Cheers

Kevin

Reverse switch I think. It's been a long time since the last time I have touched it!

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Now the car won't start.

1 and 6 have no compression- all the others are 180 cold.

Have a feeling that when attempting to time it using the old EL specs, I've bent a couple of valves- pretty peed off as none of the turning was aggressive. Turned over perfectly with the AU timing.

Anybody else had this happen?

Cheers

Kevin

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Here we are, 4 weeks into an at most 4 day part time job.

The T5 went in fine. I had another 96DA head, lapped the valves and that has gone on.

Looks like a real motor again. I would have thought last time it should have run on 2,3,4 and 5, albeit roughly- I had fuel and spark.

I didn't expect it to run, and sure enough it didn't- appears not to be fueling.

Tried to fit my 'manual EL ECU' only to find it has 4 rows of skinny pins, as opposed to the current 3 rows of fat pins- so no help there.

I'm at my wit's end with this- apart from donating it to the tank warfare range, does anybody have any ideas? Please bear in mind this car has, and may have other, hybrid AU parts......

Cheers(?)

Kevin

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:44 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

What is the code on the "EL Manual ECU"?

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:21 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Quick question regarding the resistor trick.

Does the resistor trick on the transmission temperature pins cause issues with the temperature gauge reading on the dash and thus temperature at which the ECU does the fuel mapping?

I am just wondering why the car is running so cold (I know it's winter, but even in summer) the temperature does not reach 92C very easily and I am thinking this is one of the causes.

If the auto temp sensor does not register on the gauge then I will have to find another cause.

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:46 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:

Does the resistor trick on the transmission temperature pins cause issues with the temperature gauge reading on the dash and thus temperature at which the ECU does the fuel mapping?

I am just wondering why the car is running so cold (I know it's winter, but even in summer) the temperature does not reach 92C very easily and I am thinking this is one of the causes.

If the auto temp sensor does not register on the gauge then I will have to find another cause.

no its only trans related for cold shifting pressures and high temps to overide fans. doesnt have any input to the temp gauge.. it could actually be a faulty temp sender to the ecu if you getting cold readings via scan tool, or if your getting cold readings from aftermarket gauge, the gauge could be out or your thermostat is actually to cold?

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:03 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Put your dash in diagnostic mode Phong, and see what temp the sender is actually putting out.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon EL

NSW, Australia

Folks

I've been snooping around here for a couple of years now. This ford mods site is pretty impressive - congratulations to all concerned.

I'll be putting a reconditioned T5 in a hybrid EL GLi in a couple of weeks and will be plugging in an ECU with the catch code 6TAA.

Am I correct in assuming that it is OK to use this ECU with a hybrid engine? I'm pretty sure it is, but thought I should check none the less.

Thanks

Adam

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:32 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

yes it will be fine

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon EL

NSW, Australia

Cool - Thanks Troy.

Much appreciated.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

TROY. wrote:
phongus wrote:

no its only trans related for cold shifting pressures and high temps to overide fans. doesnt have any input to the temp gauge.. it could actually be a faulty temp sender to the ecu if you getting cold readings via scan tool, or if your getting cold readings from aftermarket gauge, the gauge could be out or your thermostat is actually to cold?

Thank you Troy. I have replaced the temp sensor (below the thermostat housing) with a brand new one and there was no difference in the gauge reading.

snap0964 wrote:
Put your dash in diagnostic mode Phong, and see what temp the sender is actually putting out.

I have put the dash in diagnostics mode during summer and temp was fluctuating between 85-92C when the weather was around +35C (highway driving). I thought that was still cold considering the external temps. At the time, gauge was hovering around the L part. Now it's winter and the needle just sits above the cold line and rarely creeps up to L. I'll need to check the electrical wiring on the dash too as my voltmeter is reading around 13.3V, but multi at the battery shows 14.3V.

Don't want to derail the thread so I'll stop there.

Thanks again :)

Sort by  
 Page 23 of 24  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next