Fordmods Logo

FUTURLANE ULTIMATE BUDGET STORIES 

Page 211 of 212 [ 3168 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 208, 209, 210, 211, 212  Next

Post subject: Re: FUTURLANE ULTIMATE BUDGET STORIES
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Mad2 wrote:
many years ago . . . . . . . . . .i lived next door to a guy that did metal casting . . . . using sand [no not sure what type ok] would that not be better than foam?

It is sand.

Total loss casting just means you make an object, put it in the sand and the object gets burnt by the metal leaving a gap in the sand. Total loss...

Is pretty hard to cast things with two holes at one end, bent pipes and one hole at other end. NO other way I could think of. I should have left tubes to the surface of sand to allow gases an escape route, otherwise worked pretty well..

ImageImage
Well, always learning. Even this old dog..

For those interest, the sand used in this alloy casting is made up thus ;

Although upping ratio of bentonite works well, simply budget constrained to making do with what was possible....
8-)

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

So, here we are. Latest brain wave... To save plenty of room in engine bay (40mm by conservative estimate) there appears to be some merit in using the Subaru side flow injector system.

Now to work out a way to get it 50-80psi fuel pressure proof.
:lol:

It will happen. One way or another.

Would be bloody nice to have a lathe and a mill... In my current circumstance I have neither. Nor access to CNC... Will probably end up using some 10mm thick alloy and cutting some manifolds from that and majically attaching the Subaru style things to it. Although would be very nice to have a lathe, a mill and a CNC machine... Oh, bugger. Did I say that already?

Anyhooooooooooooooo....

OOPS = DOUBLE POST... Must be those nervous twitchy trigger digits of mine...

Last edited by fiend on Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

So, here we are. Latest brain wave... To save plenty of room in engine bay (40mm by conservative estimate) there appears to be some merit in using the Subaru side flow injector system.

Now to work out a way to get it 50-80psi fuel pressure proof.

It will happen. One way or another.

Would be bloody nice to have a lathe and a mill... In my current circumstance I have neither. Nor access to CNC... Will probably end up using some 10mm thick alloy and cutting some manifolds from that and majically attaching the Subaru style things to it. Although would be very nice to have a lathe, a mill and a CNC machine... Oh, bugger. Did I say that already?

Anyhooooooooooooooo....

Remember, you saw it here first.

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Started hacking away at the poor old Eaton M112 and after seeing it like this decided to call it a day... Am leaning towards chopping another 5mm the whole way around and welding it from the inside - which would be a hole lot easier with a step to weld into the internal corner... IMO...

:wink:

So --- From 53cm2 airflow to 73cm2 ... Almost there...

Still not enough room in engine bay...

Still so much else to do...

At least I have a legal runabout to drive now - so no more loosing licence having to drive the old wag to places whilst it should be on blocks, in a garage, receiving tlc...

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

On other news -- was my birthday yesterday... I partied like I was 109 and spent a very happy few hours lowering the AU gearbox and engine and suspension out of the 1999 AU wagon... Those nuts and bolts were mighty rusty but since not being able to do much with the old sore body parts the arms and shoulders needed a good work out...

So, only have put two turns back on one bolt on each side of the alloy spare frame holding everything up... Slush box is dangling, lpg, petrol, driveshaft, radiator, lpg, air con, bolt ons, radiator support panel, bbm, etc etc all gone...

Car is one metre in the air on old fence posts with ply wood screwed to them --- best axle stands known to man - ANY HEIGHT you need - just use a skillsaw....

Anyhoooooooooo, very happy.

Planning on swapping the AU donkity donk thing into the EF so the supposed 16psi from Eaton M112 will destroy that and not my love and joy Normally Aspirated higher compression thing....

Also, as if I didn't have enough to do...

• Flattening the floor of the boot area from E series wagon to AU style
  • AU plastic fuel tank
  • AU steering stuff
  • AU3 XR6 brakes, control arms, front springs
  • EL XR6 lights, surround and bonnet - serious stone chips and painting required
  • Interior has not had carpet, centre console or rooflining for two years
  • Two new window regulators
  • Completed interior wiring loom replacement (yes --- COMPLETE - even the doors, boot..)
  • Door actuators (car has not locked in two years)
  • May do heater box conversion from AU, may not
  • Work out how the mint NU black leather rear seats will install themselves without bolster bits looking f**k stupid
  • New right rear quarter panel
  • Really get a move on with sorting out the Eaton placement along with piping to suit the cunning plan of using home made water to air intercooler between supercharger and inline six head
  • May move gear shift up to the dash about where you heater controls are - have got a plan - got all the bits imported... Just... Uhm... Really - Am I going to need a rollcage and a racing license soon too?!!!
  • Swapping the LSD into the AU housing and using the AU axles
  • Making a new system to prevent axle tramp, possibly with a WATTS linkage
  • Throw away rear shocks and use the BA style in the wheel arch (not to the rear seat bum cushions)
  • Throw away clutch cable and use some hydraulic thing instead...

There is more... But really.. WTF.

Have at least taken the underside back to metal and rubberised coated properly and managed to get out the old front eye bush from leaf springs and replace.

Along the way on that one -- also learnt how to make urethane bushes from same stuff as Nolathane. Sure, they are not red, but can make them in various hardnesses and also vary the original shapes to better designs. Engine mounts and gearbox mounts will be looked at - am making new gearbox ones already... Also will be useful from anti tramp setup and changing the way rear sway bar works once and for all....

Whatever...

One day there may even be pictures....

Right now it is time for this lame old man to hit horizontal position and watch some bad tv.

x

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

ADHD STYLE STUFF UPS
Reprinted by kind permission from Stalkerbook
One of those days... Got some good stuff done, solved a few problems, then got sidetracked... Started tidying up and saw the old 2.5" mandrel bent pipe and headers... Got into "hurry" mode as angle grinder and close neighbours... You know... Nothing at all to do with ADHD tendencies... Honest..

Tried using a single bit of the 2.5" pipe with three bends in it to replace a length of the pipe of extractors... Too budget... Needed to be one bend and some straight bits --- d***head me!

IN other, slightly better, news...

Probably making some more of these...
Sorry have note been checking private messages on this site for a long while (years)... t o n y h i t c h n z @ gmail.com works without the spaces... Just trying to get a few people together to cover costs - putting a few dollars into paypal account to start, and then the rest on completion.... As usual, I am investing over a fortnights income into buying the stuff to make them, so Christmas expenditure has far outwieghed the incoming...

It did, however, allow me to buy some stuff off FordMods advertisers - including a J3 programmer (thanks Jas') so that may keep the gods in power happy enough....

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Well, been getting sidetracked by crap weather and life in general.

Sigh.

Might have an AUXR6 LSD head and pinion... Probably won't use as just may be too low gearing... Which means pulling the LSD head out the E series axle setup and putting it into the AU (longer axle) single spinner... Should be able to use the same pinion as should be the same gearing?!!!

Not a job I want to do time and time again to be fair... Never mind...

Have not touched car in weeks... Just been organising things. Trying to sort out house of spare parts... Going around in circles TBH...
:roll:

Ah well... Laturz

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Have entered N/A straight six 1994 wagon in some street sprint and sealed hill climb events.

First up is the Levin Car Clubs Kaihinau Road timed sprint event.

YOU TUBE VIDEO OF DANNY 2015

The car shown here is an EVO with probably fifty grand in it on two grands worth of tyres.,.. It did 2m02s, not sure if Danny Pickard won with that time, that year, as there are single seaters and all sorts of interesting little cars with massive PSI's...

I would like to dedicate this stupid exercise into futility to my sponsors at SOMEONE HAS TO LOSE RACING -- New Zealand Centrelink (WINZ), and Pick A Part Lower Hutt...

Here is a link to GOOGLEMAPS view of the road in question.

Closest guess to my official time on this run will win a random E Series part from my collection to the value of $36.66...

-----

Was always going to use the Supra Turbo in tank fuel pump inside a bit of old alloy driveshaft as a surge tank and pump. Discovered a while ago the AU tank worked a lot better than the flat alloy f**k found in the E series wag's... So... Well... Who woulda thought it...

AU Fuel Tank into E Series Conversion business idea... :lol:

Also have a look at the lowering block set up, if you give a s**t. Yuhp, another original idea of mine, works bloody well, thank you very much.

Tank is in and working. Have to swap the fuel lines, am also going to use the AU brake lines eventually. At this point still trying to work out if the AU ABS machine works the same as the E series one. Otherwise will relocate the E series unit into the engine bay anyway...

As you know (since you all read and pay attention so closely) the EF suspension, steering, engine mounts, K frame etc are being swapped out and replaced with all the AU stuff sometime soon too.

Including probably putting the E series Wade 1673 and rocker gear onto the prestine ex LPG 160,000km AU engine and inserting that...

Although there is another event which could suit the car more than any other in Mid April, then our weather turns to total s**t again... Cannot see myself getting the Blower and all the things into the car between these events. Although, see how we go...

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

VIC, Australia

fiend wrote:
-----

Was always going to use the Supra Turbo in tank fuel pump inside a bit of old alloy driveshaft as a surge tank and pump. Discovered a while ago the AU tank worked a lot better than the flat alloy f**k found in the E series wag's... So... Well... Who woulda thought it...

AU Fuel Tank into E Series Conversion business idea... :lol:

Also have a look at the lowering block set up, if you give a s**t. Yuhp, another original idea of mine, works bloody well, thank you very much.

Tank is in and working. Have to swap the fuel lines, am also going to use the AU brake lines eventually. At this point still trying to work out if the AU ABS machine works the same as the E series one. Otherwise will relocate the E series unit into the engine bay anyway...

As you know (since you all read and pay attention so closely) the EF suspension, steering, engine mounts, K frame etc are being swapped out and replaced with all the AU stuff sometime soon too.

Including probably putting the E series Wade 1673 and rocker gear onto the prestine ex LPG 160,000km AU engine and inserting that...

Although there is another event which could suit the car more than any other in Mid April, then our weather turns to total s**t again... Cannot see myself getting the Blower and all the things into the car between these events. Although, see how we go...

hmmmmm ... have thought about the AU floor . . . good idea mate! .. keep up the errr good work :D

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Nothing "errrrr" about it, cheeky bugger!

What is "errrrr" worthy is me entering the wagon into a real event on this road...

CLICK ON THIS FFS

Seriously --- if that $50,000 worth of car based on MITSI EVO can do 2m02s, I am guessing anything for me under three minutes is a win!!!!

Have a look at the road. Give me some guesses!

E series wag, one tonne leaf springs, sway bar, pretty cool U bolts, and some sort of engine with 666cc per 6 cylinders running no psi boost. Have improved air induction by having the bolts to pod filter too lose and having it munched by the serpentine belt though. That will increase flow properties.

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fiend wrote:
Nothing "errrrr" about it, cheeky bugger!

that's me :lol:

fiend wrote:
What is "errrrr" worthy is me entering the wagon into a real event on this road...

CLICK ON THIS FFS

Seriously --- if that $50,000 worth of car based on MITSI EVO can do 2m02s, I am guessing anything for me under three minutes is a win!!!!

Have a look at the road. Give me some guesses!

E series wag, one tonne leaf springs, sway bar, pretty cool U bolts, and some sort of engine with 666cc per 6 cylinders running no psi boost. Have improved air induction by having the bolts to pod filter too lose and having it munched by the serpentine belt though. That will increase flow properties.

if you can do 3 mins :shock: :shock: .. good luck!

and keep up the good work mate :mrgreen:

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

So we have a three minute estimation from MAD2 (aka, cheeky bugger) and since no one else uses proper forums anymore, in favour of trolling on StalkerBook, the only other guess will be my own. Since I rate my ability to drive this unrateable car and since previously suggesting anything under three minutes will be a win, I am aiming for two minutes fifty seconds. Obviously I don't need to win my own $66.66 worth of my own parts, so am disqualified from claiming any portion of the prize pool

And I guess that is all she wrote:

Unless someone else still uses FORDMODS?

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fiend wrote:

Unless someone else still uses FORDMODS?

hellllooooooooo? ....... anyone else??

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Echoes loudly off the blank white spaces..................

Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooo o o o o o o o o oo

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Well, after the Motorsport NZ rep (who knew my car after doing some welding on it a year ago) was keen to get me involved in the event mentioned previously, turns out there is a homologated roll cage requirement.

BUGGER IT.

Although the road is scarily small for the large Falcon, I am not out to kill myself... Debatable you may say... So, bugger it. Am going to drive car out there and offer to marshal instead.

Not happy, should have entered a few other hillclimbs (much more suited to the car) with no such requirements.

Sigh.

Drove the event road last night, and the videos don't do it justice. Is a tight scary bit of road. Reckon I'd hit 200km/h on the straight, it goes over a crest with a easy right and starts going downhill - the next corner is a ninety degree right with no room to run off the single track road at all... Through a fence into thin air is the safety margin.

Although totally game, little features such as this would mean early application of brakes everywhere.... Am, after all, still on factory E series brakes with the slotted rotors working well, but not THAT well.

Upgrading the booster to AU3 metal large volume one would help with pedal feel at these speeds, but scrubbing 200km/h down to 50 whilst going down hill never was a strong point of these Australian taxi's!...

Bummed. But have the NZ MOTORSPORT MANUAL open at page 299 - appendix two, schedule A, #5 ROLL PROTECTION.

This may as well be the end of saving the car in its current form. Unless the other event I entered ("RACE TO THE DUMP" which is a wide road heading up Silverstream Transfer Station) can accommodate the lack of cage, may as well start tearing the guts out the poor old beast and making serious inroads into the Eaton M112 blower install...

The Motorsport NZ official also happens to be an authorised roll cage manufacturer. Good guy, although a bit expensive. Especially considering my income levels... Anyway, worth a drive to check him out and get a bit of advice...
:?

So... A fully rollcaged, leaf sprung, station wagon is now in the works.

Bugger you FORDMODS.

After logging in here years ago just to work out how to change the clock on EF Fairmont dash, I end up with this on my plate.

Sort by  
 Page 211 of 212  [ 3168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 208, 209, 210, 211, 212  Next