eb v8 btr dtc's 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: eb v8 btr dtc's
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford powered Studebaker

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys
I have nearly finished my 302/btr int a Studebaker.
The transmission is a DA94------
The controller is a DA91--------
My problem is limp home mode.

How do I get the dtc's out of the controller? --- all i have are the 3 wires from the controller for dtc.
Is it possible that the codes putting it into limp home are from the original transmission.
Does the controller remove the dtc from memory once the problem has been fixed?

Look forward to your help.
Allan

Post subject: Re: eb v8 btr dtc's
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:38 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford 1956 Crown Victoria

NSW, Australia

I have the same problem. I have a BTR and 5L from a 92 Ghia in a 56 Ford Crown Victoria. Everything else works but the transmission is in limp home mode. I am using Autronic computer and the original factory Trans Control Module from the NC Fairlane donor car. How do you clear the codes? Is it possible to connect a scan tool using the diagnostic wires?
I am getting pretty desperate, so if anyone has some advice, please respond.
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: eb v8 btr dtc's
Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:38 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford 1956 Crown Victoria

NSW, Australia

After weeks of examining every wire and component of the BTR95LE installation, I am no closer to a solution. Every voltage and signal required to operate the transmission is good, except for the Vehicle Speed Sensor signal. With the assistance of Jamie from Shiftkits (your blood's worth bottling, mate) and from Alplayed (nice Stude) I have arrived at the conclusion that it's the VSS or the transmission itself.

According to the Ford factory workshop troubleshooting guide, I should have +9V at Pin 19 of the Transmission Control Module. Jamie tells me that 6 - 8V will do, but I can only get 0.2 - 0.7V. A 1K pull-up resistor does little to raise the signal strength.

I bench tested the VSS, connecting it directly to a good battery, and the VSS signal voltage is the same. It flip flops between 0.2 and 0.7 volts.

I also found out that the original donor car (a 1992 NC Fairlane Ghia) had a 6 cylinder BTR trans installed before I bought it. Not a great thing to find out after I shelled out the dollars to rebuild it, but I can't find any documentation or advice that says anything about the difference between a 6 and an 8 BTR except for some minor internal tweaks and a bell housing.

Until I get this VSS signal right, I can't go back to the shop that built the transmission and say "it's your transmission, it's under warranty, fix it."

I know there are many others who have retro-fitted these 4 speed transmissions without any issues, and using non-factory engine management.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be most appreciative of your input.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]