Help on Rod change for BA XR6T 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Help on Rod change for BA XR6T
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XR6T

QLD, Australia

hi all,

OK as we know the BA had the weaker rods, so after talking to a mechanic, and as my xr6 hasn't even done 70K yet. He said to get upto 350-400 rwkw on the standard turbo I need to get the rods changed as they don't like pushing them above 325 rwkw on a tune. I'm at 315 and simply want 400 if possible. I have the full APS kit on the car as well.

He said that because the motor has low k's all I need is standard size gudgeon pin and crank sizes, just a thicker connecting rod, and the stock pistons will be ok to reuse.

He also recons that its probably best to pull the motor out, then rip the head off and sump to replace the old rods.

Well I can do all this myself, but what I need to know does this sound right from you guys that have done this before. And what is the best brand rods to use, and any part numbers I need. Further down the track I may try and get 500rwkw or even higher if I was to change out the plenum and upgrade the fuel delivery and turbo. So can anyone help with info and maybe a quick overrun of whats involved or tricks that will make the job easier. Like would I need to do new crank bearings or anything or will every thing just swap over?

thx in advance

Post subject: Re: Help on Rod change for BA XR6T
Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford Falcon BA Sedan

NSW, Australia

On the latest FGX Turbo, the Con Rod is part number (Genuine Ford) BG 6200A $92.00 each but I guess if you tried with a dealer, you may be able to get a better price on 6 of them.

There is a short motor available for the 24V HP BG 6009 D $3330.88 NEW.
If it were me, I would be changing the bottom end as you will starting from a stronger point. I know it is dearer but, it would be better to start with a newer part and eventually save money. If you were to try and chat with a Ford dealer, you might be able to get a better price. You may also need to change the sump as the oil dipstick tube is in a different position.

Hope that helps.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]