Engine swap 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Engine swap
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:02 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XH Ute

VIC, Australia

Hey guys

Just got a question regarding my 97 XH ute, the motors buggered and just would like to know what other motors fit straight in because don't have the knowledge and skill set to go with anything else and don't have much help, just want something to pretty much bolt straight in and am not sure what other series motors would do that!

Cheers! :D

Post subject: Re: Engine swap
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

If you reuse all of the bolt-on engine accessories from your XH, then any 4.0L OHC engine from EB - EL models will be OK. Steer away from 3.9L EA engines.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I got to try find all the bolts which is annoying because the guy who had it before me un bolted everything just for fun and didn't bag it, just chucked them all in a jar so hopefully that works out well.
But cheers mate!

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:54 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

If you have a self serve wreckers near you, go and pull a motor out of an E-series...bag and label the bolts you remove and buy them...they will probably charge you like $5 or something. I'm assuming you don't need to remove the engine mounts so it shouldn't be too hard of a job...and you get to learn of someone else's car if something breaks.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Stozza99 wrote:
Hey guys

Just got a question regarding my 97 XH ute, the motors buggered and just would like to know what other motors fit straight in because don't have the knowledge and skill set to go with anything else and don't have much help, just want something to pretty much bolt straight in and am not sure what other series motors would do that!

Cheers! :D

Get hold of a low-klm AU engine and fit that. Anything around 100-150k will only cost you $200-300, and fitting is piss-easy. I have done this in both my XH and my old EL - best thing I ever did to them.

Regarding the bolts, most will only fit in the one spot, and if you take your time, and don't force anything, you'll figure it out.

Good luck. 8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Isn't an AU engine different to the xh and stuff? Wouldn't it involve changing more stuff around and fiddling with all the looms and that sorta stuff? Because if so not sure if i have the knowledge to to that/people around to help do that and i need it done asap because rego runs out soon.

Cheers :)

Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Isn't an AU engine different to the xh and stuff? Wouldn't it involve changing more stuff around and fiddling with all the looms and that sorta stuff? Because if so not sure if i have the knowledge to to that/people around to help do that and i need it done asap because rego runs out soon.

Cheers

Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:23 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Stozza99 wrote:

yes! ..... & now :lol:

the au doesn't have the dizzy .. so you would need to know how to set the timing up with the dizzy [if yours does have a dizzy?]. depending on how much room there is at the front of the engine re subframe at a min you may need to grind down the front of the sump [fins only] to having to cut sump [if you have the EF/EL style subframe]. i think with the way your asking the questions .... you would be best to stick with a 'similar' motor. i don't know much re the XH models .. so is yours a 'standard' or XR? [does it have the EA-ED style intake OR the EF-BF style of intake?]

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Honestly not sure because the thing came in pieces as the previous owner blew the head and tried taking it apart and buggered it beyond belief.. which is why i want/need a new motor and sorta want to put the new one in as easy as possible!

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:42 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

does it have a aluminium part that looks 'similar' to what's hangin off the motor in the middle of the pic? [not the hose]

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Yeah the air box is similar!

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Stozza99 wrote:
Yeah the air box is similar!

ok ... we have a start point.

so you need a XH/EL motor .... or if your able to set timing .. a EF. that's complete motors so less hassle for you. EB/ED have differant fan belts to your current setup, but you 'could' change that [but i know it's not what you asked].

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

What do you think is the easiest thing to do, just to pretty much bolt in and not have to fiddle around with a lot? Like what motor exactly and so on?
Because the motors the number 1 thing i need then will probs move onto interior. So it'll be like a cheap easy restore project :)

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Stozza99 wrote:
What do you think is the easiest thing to do, just to pretty much bolt in and not have to fiddle around with a lot? Like what motor exactly and so on?
Because the motors the number 1 thing i need then will probs move onto interior. So it'll be like a cheap easy restore project :)

easiest would be to find another XH motor .....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next