Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Improve EF XR6 Cooling
Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

I need to improve the cooling on my EF XR6 wagon.

Here's the problem:
At the drags, the temp creeps up just a little after I finish a run, driving down the return road, and takes about 15 minutes (mostly idling) to come back down to normal. So, if turnaround time is less than that, the temp gradually increases - a little bit at a time - and so does my ET. If I turn the heater on full blast (and the air con too, so I don't cook), the temp will drop back down to normal in less than 3 minutes. By turning the heater on I'm effectively increasing radiator area, so I'm guessing that I need a bigger radiator. The thermo fans appear to be working fine.

I'm currently running:
- near new standard radiator
- new Tridon TT2028-180 Hi-flow 82C thermostat
- GMB standard water pump
- Purple Ice (water wetter)
- Penrite 10 Tenths Race Coolant
- new heater core
- large trans cooler (3x factory size) routed back through rad side tank on the way back to the trans

If going to a larger radiator will keep the temps down, which one should I be looking for (brand, model)? I need to keep the factory thermo fans, and would love to keep the trans cooling loop in the side tank (to keep trans fluid at engine coolant temp). If the radiator is not the problem, should I be looking at a Davies-Craig electric water pump?

Thanks for the help.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Post subject: Re: Improve EF XR6 Cooling
Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:44 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

have you looked at wether the aircon & coolant radiaters are not blocked?

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

The system has been thoroughly flushed and has all new silicon hoses. There are no blockages. I have had the issue for years, and replacing the radiator with a new one made little difference. The aircon is a separate system.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:08 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
The system has been thoroughly flushed and has all new silicon hoses. There are no blockages. I have had the issue for years, and replacing the radiator with a new one made little difference. The aircon is a separate system.

i know the aircon is a seperate system. however the air must get thru both. do you have the plastic piece fitted at the base [and in front of] the radiater?

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Ah. There is nothing blocking either the rad or the aircon condenser. The air dam panel below the rad is in place.

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
Ah. There is nothing blocking either the rad or the aircon condenser. The air dam panel below the rad is in place.

ok. . . ...... any reason re gearbox fluid thru rad? as personally i would have them seperate [prefer]. is there anyway of getting more air thru the rad as from memory the EF/EL had most of the air coming from below the bumper? & is the crossover hose on the water pipe clear?. with partners BF i went slightly thicker in radiator as it would get very warm ... but it has a lot of road damage to the aircon radiator [won't let me replace it] & had to remove some of the fins to get airflow thru both. which helped. my AU has the box cooler seperate & if i ever get to it ....... so will her BF.

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I'm told that trans wear increases if the fluid temp is too low - which is a possibility with my large trans cooler. Running back through the rad keeps it at 82C all the time - as long as coolant temp is constant. It also helps keep trans performance consistent, which is important in DYO (bracket) racing.

Yeah, the crossover pipe is clear.

I'm thinking I probably want a thicker/better radiator, but don't know what's worth getting.

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:18 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Have decided to go with this radiator:
www.fenixautoparts.co.nz/index.php?rout ... uct_id=551

Will let you know how it goes after the drags next month.

Mad2, thanks for the tip - I will earth it.

Thanks all.

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

best of luck with it man :mrgreen:

the AU has had the gearbox seperate for some years before me & replacement box gets a kickin most of the time :roll: [eb box]

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

What you can try after a run is pull the coolant temp sensor plug while you go back on the return road. Both cooling fans will run at full speed. See if it cools any better.
If you ever notice the EF's passenger fan has an intermediate speed (black/white/red wires), which was removed (white wire)on the EL's and later, so they either run at half or full speed.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]