Fordmods Logo

Ef Falcon heater issues 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Ef Falcon heater issues
Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2002 ford focus

WA, Australia

The heater in my Ef isnt working, ive had the climate control assembly out of the dash and there seems to he a vacuum line missing were the temperature control switch is (can feel the supply that i presume is suppose to go to the heater tap when i turn the switch to hot.) Does any one have a diagram or come across this before?

Post subject: Re: Ef Falcon heater issues
Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:59 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Fairmont EBII & EL 4.0

VIC, Australia

Please elaborate on "not working". Is there air coming out of the cabin ducts? Can you control the air from floor to dash to screen? Can you control the temperature of the air? Is the blower working? When you say climate control do you have electronic display with up down buttons for temperature control & fan speed? or is it a heater with no display and twist dials like a falcon probably has. Climate control is usually extra option on falcon and std on fairmont but can be complex. Please understand many people incorrectly refer to the standard heater unit as a "climate control" and the two are very different systems. I am familiar with EBII model before yours.

Last edited by acko on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

If its climate control and you have no vacuum in the system indicated by inability to direct the airflow between cabin ducts then read on. Otherwise I need the info previously requested.
My EBII has a tapping point on the firewall end of the intake manifold (just below the firewall heater hose connections) to source the climate control vacuum. From the tapping point there is a small diameter hose that carries the vacuum to the climate control and it is susceptible to damage, collapse and melting at the tapping point. I think from memory the EF has different manifold but you should look for that tapping point and hose to check it is ok otherwise there will be no vacuum to power the heater valve. Check as much of the hose as you can access.

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

If your up for it and want specifics check these and other links for climate control fixes. They may or may not help with standard heater unit

On this site refer following articles:
fordmods-technical-documents-diy-f38/ea-eb-ed-ef-el-nf-nl-ltd-workshop-manual-t86156.html

If you have a login for the other Ford site these are good articles:
http://www.fordaustraliaforums.com/foru ... te+control
Scroll down about 8 pages to "climate control for link below -

Attachments:
File comment: I previously saved this post but cannot find it on website now.
Ford climate control dianostic.pdf [105.86 KiB]
Downloaded 359 times

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:27 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Its just the unit with the 2 knobs to control temperature and the ducts with the slide for fan speed. Everything is working, fan speed air ducts etc. Whats happening is when i turn the knob to the red the temperature doesnt change (with engine at normal running temp) i removed the dash cover and the control unit, im getting a vacuum supple to the back of the knob but the is what appears to be a hise missing behind the temp control knob. There are only 2 hoses there with a space for a third

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:45 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

There is one coming out of the firewall to the heater tap but inhavent been able to test it.

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:21 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

No it goes in behind the dash, then im guessing to a manifold with the rest of the lines? There is no line coming from the temp control to control the heater tap

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

I looked at some Fords this morning at Pick'a'Part. Think they were ED EF models like yours and the vacuum source comes off at centre of manifold beside the spring tower. Better design than EBII with more substantial hose to take more wear and tear. So if it’s connected I wouldn't worry about the vacuum source hose. Looking under the control panel, you see 3 places for hoses with only 2 in use, it is probably correct like that. Unfortunately haven't looked at std heater unit on your model. I can tell you reason it might be correct is vacuum systems usually need a port to atmosphere somewhere to release the vacuum otherwise when they switch nothing happens until the vacuum drains down.
Have a look at the radiator water to see what condition it’s in. If you have nice clean water with coolant the following probably won’t be the cause. If the water is dirty I would suggest the cable/vacuum system is fine and your heater core might be blocked and need a flush. Sometimes if you have cool day or night you can turn the heat ctrl to cool, run the engine to temp, feel the heater hose temps, then change the heat ctrl to hot and you should quickly find the heater hoses will get too hot to hold. Best to run eng with bonnet up to help keep the hoses cool. If the hoses get noticeably hotter when you change the ctrl then it’s not the water side of things causing problem. If there is no change then either the valve isn't working (they can fail or get stuck or blocked) or the vac signal is not getting there or the cable has a problem if its cable operate. If water system is ok then it will be what’s called the blend door under dash may have lost its cable or vac signal or the diaphragm in the vac actuator has burst. All these vac actuators can fail by bursting the diagram in them. On odd occasion, it’s possible to block the air going thru heater core if the core fins have lots of dirt, leaves, mud etc in the heater box. You should notice the airflow decrease substantial when you change to hot if this is the case.

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

standard HVAC unit not climate control

remove glove box -

there should be a rotating lever that operates when you adjust heat control, works via cable -
lever pushes against a White vacuum tap that when pushed supplies vacuum to the heater tap -
vacuum comes from rear of engine manifold to controls and branches off to a vacuum tank(under r/h front guard iirc) -
is heater tap operating when you have engine running and move heat control -
Note: heater tap is on if vacuum hose is removed from heater tap -
therefore heater should be hot even if no vacuum control is present
check if engine is getting hot/thermostat operation
remove heater hoses and check heater tap not faulty or blocked -
check for blocked heater core - remove both hoses and check for flow with garden hose

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Finally got a chance to have a good look at the problem. Found the heater core was blocked and was able to remove both hoses and flush it clear.

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Trav88 wrote:
Finally got a chance to have a good look at the problem. Found the heater core was blocked and was able to remove both hoses and flush it clear.

good to hear and just in time for Bloody winter

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]