Fordmods Logo

EA dying under load. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: EA dying under load.
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:53 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

After a bit of advice. Have an EA wagon for demolition derby this Saturday and having a small problem with it. It runs and revs fine in neutral but when put in gear and revved it dies. It is a CPI running no air cleaner. Has external fuel pump which I'm going to replace for a new one but if this doesn't fix the problem I'll be back to the drawing board. Sort of sounds like and air mixture problem but new to working on these cars so do they have air mixture screws like old carbies?

Post subject: Re: EA dying under load.
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:02 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

frog wrote:
After a bit of advice. Have an EA wagon for demolition derby this Saturday and having a small problem with it. It runs and revs fine in neutral but when put in gear and revved it dies. It is a CPI running no air cleaner. Has external fuel pump which I'm going to replace for a new one but if this doesn't fix the problem I'll be back to the drawing board. Sort of sounds like and air mixture problem but new to working on these cars so do they have air mixture screws like old carbies?

Have you checked the fuel filter? Might be badly blocked.

Can't help on the carbies sorry.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:21 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
frog wrote:

Have you checked the fuel filter? Might be badly blocked.

Can't help on the carbies sorry.

CPI carbies are not carbies as per earlier models ... has two injectors inside the 'carbie' opening. maybe check for air leaks in vacuum lines & map sensor?

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

No fuel filter and quite sure all vacuum lines are sound. Are the MAP sensors the same all the way through to EL? Any way of running without?

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:14 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

frog wrote:
No fuel filter and quite sure all vacuum lines are sound. Are the MAP sensors the same all the way through to EL? Any way of running without?

so you have removed the factory filter [front of rear passenger wheel arch & behind subrail] & fuel lines? believe they are to EL [not 100% sure tho] & no dea re removal.

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Lines are run from a jerry can in the rear above floor into the engine bay. So no fuel filter.

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:55 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

frog wrote:
Lines are run from a jerry can in the rear above floor into the engine bay. So no fuel filter.

what size lines?

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

no mixture screw - suggest try wreckers for s/hand map sensor or cost from Repco etc for new one as this alters mixture and has been known to cause this sort of problem -

also check out coil - rotor button - distributor cap carbon brush -leads - tfi module and ignition timing -

try running some injector cleaner thru

block fuel return and see if increasing fuel pressure improves in case pressure regulator is faulty -

check vacuum leaks -

possible faulty engine computer etc. etc. etc.

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
frog wrote:

what size lines?

Slightly bigger than original, 3/8.

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

What sought of fuel pump are you running, even though these throttle body injectors only run on 15 psi you still need a pump that can supply a lot more than it needs, 85 litres an hour. You need the supply in volume to keep a constant 15 psi on the pressure regulator and return to your tank. As for the map sensor you need a frequency meter to check it. At idle on a good engine around 100htz, wide open throttle 160htz. And I think from memory there is a gorse filter on the inlet pipe on the throttle body.

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

No idea on the type of pump. Just a generic high pressure external pump. Haven't tested the pressure, just thought getting return was good enough. Seems to struggle getting to high revs in neutral now I think about it. Speedway meeting has now been cancelled so now I have until November to iron out the bugs.

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

rod hansen wrote:
What sought of fuel pump are you running, even though these throttle body injectors only run on 15 psi you still need a pump that can supply a lot more than it needs, 85 litres an hour. You need the supply in volume to keep a constant 15 psi on the pressure regulator and return to your tank. As for the map sensor you need a frequency meter to check it. At idle on a good engine around 100htz, wide open throttle 160htz. And I think from memory there is a gorse filter on the inlet pipe on the throttle body.

I do have a fluke insulation multi meter that has frequency on it. Any idea where I test the frequency? I don't have wiring diagrams for EA. I do have the factory manuals for EL and XH so if the MAP sensor is the same that should give me an idea.

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:09 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

You can check it at the map sensor, or at the computer pin 45 blue with a yellow trace, at the sensor I forget what the colour of the wires at the sensor are, but there will be a signal ground, zero volts, a 5 volt reference, and a signal wire which will have the frequency on it, key on engine off 160htz engine running idle around 100hzt and as you rev the engine between 100 and 160 htz.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]