Fordmods Logo

xr6 engine conversion into my eb. 

Page 39 of 42 [ 626 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Post subject: Re: xr6 engine conversion into my eb.
Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:25 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

jumpingjak wrote:
So looks like i need another speed sender unit. :shock:

bummer .... hopefully thats it for ya :wink:

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb ford falcon ghia

NSW, Australia

hmm i think il have to take the speedo thing in to the shop and ask the guy to look at it for me.. It seems to be working how it spoze to. as in its turning on and off as i turn the cog, i hooked it all up to my power supply again and set it to 5v but i still only get about 0.4v on the signal wire and every thing i been reading recons i should get the reff voltage on the signal wire. The reff voltage can go from 5v up to 15v. so i slowly turned up the voltage on my power supply to 10v to see if the voltage on the signal wire would go up with it but it did not, it stayed at 0.4v.

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ahhhh s**t... I got a 2nd hand speedo sender unit for $10 the other day and im getting the same readings.. I dont think im testing them right.. So i went to paper and pen to work sum numbers out.. I have 5v reff voltage and the resistance in both speedo unit is about 7.8khms, in electronics you devide the voltage by the resistance and that will tell what the current flow spose to be, which ends up being just under 4.5mha... My power supply has a volt and current reading and i realised im not getting any current flowing when i hook the speedo unit up to it. I got a resistance reading off both the speedo unit so there is no open circuit.. I should get a current flow.. There is a speedo repaire guy not to far from me so il end up stoping in there on monday if i cant sort it out my self.

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:03 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

stupid question . . . . . . . but have you got em connected up correctly??

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hopfully.. :lol: there are 3wires.. blue, black and white.. the wiring in the eb work book dose not tell me what wire is what, so i presumed blue is (+), back is (-) and white is the signal wire??

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:33 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

jumpingjak wrote:
hopfully.. :lol: there are 3wires.. blue, black and white.. the wiring in the eb work book dose not tell me what wire is what, so i presumed blue is (+), back is (-) and white is the signal wire??

going by the factory EA-ED book in front of me ........ white is pwr + with black the earth & red the signal .... i checked the other factory book [EA-ED & yes i have 3 EA-ED factory books & one EA only] & it's the same....

when i checked out the spare senders i had found earlier ... [cleaning up lol] one have the full wiring connector ... the sender wiring IS white/blue/black as you said ... but the wiring TO the connector is as stated before. so to make allowances for the color changes [red to blue] i'm presuming white is pwr+ with black as earth & blue as the signal wire.

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hahaha well your work book is way better than mine ay :lol: .. That would explain why i had no current draw.. I have 3 speedo unit things now haha. Il test one of them tomorrow and hook it up that way. Thanks for that bit of info man..

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

jumpingjak wrote:
hahaha well your work book is way better than mine ay :lol: .. That would explain why i had no current draw.. I have 3 speedo unit things now haha. Il test one of them tomorrow and hook it up that way. Thanks for that bit of info man..

thats coz i have the factory books .. which helps a lot . . . at least for the EA to ED :lol:

as said before ... helping you get yours up & running helps me out :wink: :lol:

anyway ... keep up the good work aye :mrgreen:

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

damm this thing dose not want me to get it working.. I tryed hooking it up with white as the + and got nothing. And get this.. When i hook it up so blue is + and white is the signal, I start getting weired reading on the multimeter from the white wire, it tells me im getting 0.2v and if i touch the multimeter probe with my finger it jumps up to 2v, as i turn the cog it gose from 2v to 0, I stop touching the probe and it drops back to 0.2v and turns on and off as the cog turns. If i touch the probe and make it jump to 2v then earth my self, the multimeter drops to 0v. If i hold both multimeter probes in each hand im only getting 0.2v reading and also no current draw is going thru the unit.. So i do not know were the 2v is coming from :shock:... Il go to the speedo repair guy tomorrow and see what he recons..

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:23 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Remember an ea has 10 volts at the speedo drive, the bf speedo is 5 volts. If you spin an ea tail shaft, 5 on off signals equates to one revolution of the tail shaft. I wouldn't think even if it was working properly it would draw more than 20ma.

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:12 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

rod hansen wrote:
Remember an ea has 10 volts at the speedo drive, the bf speedo is 5 volts. If you spin an ea tail shaft, 5 on off signals equates to one revolution of the tail shaft. I wouldn't think even if it was working properly it would draw more than 20ma.

is it only the EA that uses 10 volts & the BF 5 volts?

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I went to the speedo repair guy today.. He was very nice.. You hit the nail right on the head.. He sed it needs 12v to make it work properly and the bf pcm only puts out 5v. But all 3 speedo units work fine :D .. Now the big question is do i supply my own 12v to the speedo unit? or will putting the bf instrument cluster pannle in work ok from the pcm 5v supply? When i use the eb instument cluster and set my voltage to 5v and spin the cog the speedometer dial flickers but when i set the voltage to 12v the dial work ok when i spin the cog. would the bf speedometer dial do the same thing or will it work ok off the pcm 5v.. Or do i need to get a speedo unit that runs off 5v not 12v?

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I made the adapter plug for the bf instrument cluster yesterday. Im going to plug it in and test it today. I think I may have to wire up the speedo unit on its own so i can supply 12v to it, I will aslo have to make a voltage devider out of 2 ressistor to go from 12v down to 5v on the signal wire. I dont think that the pcm b7vss would like 12v going into it, as its only spose to be 5v going into b7vss... It is very hard to find a 2nd hand speedo unit form a xr6 ute, that would fix my speedo unit issue..

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:22 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

jumpingjak wrote:
It is very hard to find a 2nd hand speedo unit form a xr6 ute, that would fix my speedo unit issue..

why's that ?? .. wouldn't the speedo units be the same as earlier??

did wonder re voltage divider.

Sort by  
 Page 39 of 42  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next