Fordmods Logo

Falcon ED Station Wagon s/w REAR window washer pump 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Falcon ED Station Wagon s/w REAR window washer pump
Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:38 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Falcon ED 1994 SW

NSW, Australia

I have a bizarre problem that needs some expert advice.
Most of you will think that mine is just a common problem with the cylindrical pump attached to the water reservoir. It's NOT.

The Falcon ED Station wagon seems to have an over engineered and complex system to deliver a jet of water to the rear window.
This is what i have established:

1) The water reservoir has two small cylindrical 12 volt pumps attached . One for the front window and one for the rear window(this is a station wagon). Both pumps are connected to two wires and work extremely well.

2)The rear window pump is connected to a black auxiliary pump (made in Germany) which is hidden under the left (passenger side) . This pump is connected with 3 wires.

3) The output of this auxiliary pump is connected to a rubber tube that runs along the firewall of the car and splits into two rubber tubes around where the steering servo is. One tube goes inside the dash of the car and one tube continues to the right side of the firewall, under the bonnet hinge.

4) Under the right bonnet hinge there is a well hidden rubber "lung". It's about the size of a closed fist and it's like a black thick walled baloon.

5)I guess one or both of these two rubber tubes make their way to the read window.

Talk about a complex system to get a spray of water to the back window!!! :shock:

Ok here is my diagnostics.
NO water jet sprays on the rear window when I activate the rear wiper button on the console next to the demister button.
a) the small pump works a beauty and pushes a good flow of water into the auxiliary German pump.

b) no water flows from the German pump

c) there is no power arriving at the plug with with 3 connectors. I have tested for voltage when the button is presssed and when it is not pressed.

d) I applied some air pressure to the black tube that runs along the fire wall. I can see the baloon filling up but nothing exits from the rear window nozzle.

I hope one of you enthusiasts that is passionate about the 90s Fords can shed some light..please... :)

Post subject: Re: Falcon ED Station Wagon s/w REAR window washer pump
Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:39 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

brik32544 wrote:
Most of you will think that mine is just a common problem with the cylindrical pump attached to the water reservoir. It's NOT.

The Falcon ED Station wagon seems to have an over engineered and complex system to deliver a jet of water to the rear window.

1) The water reservoir has two small cylindrical 12 volt pumps attached . One for the front window and one for the rear window(this is a station wagon). Both pumps are connected to two wires and work extremely well.

correct.

2)The rear window pump is connected to a black auxiliary pump (made in Germany) which is hidden under the left (passenger side) . This pump is connected with 3 wires.

really? ... will have a look at my EB [doubt ED differant]

3) The output of this auxiliary pump is connected to a rubber tube that runs along the firewall of the car and splits into two rubber tubes around where the steering servo is. One tube goes inside the dash of the car and one tube continues to the right side of the firewall, under the bonnet hinge.

4) Under the right bonnet hinge there is a well hidden rubber "lung". It's about the size of a closed fist and it's like a black thick walled baloon.

that sounds like the vacuum reservoir for the heater/aircon unit.

5)I guess one or both of these two rubber tubes make their way to the read window.

Talk about a complex system to get a spray of water to the back window!!! :shock:

NO water jet sprays on the rear window when I activate the rear wiper button on the console next to the demister button.
a) the small pump works a beauty and pushes a good flow of water into the auxiliary German pump.

c) there is no power arriving at the plug with with 3 connectors. I have tested for voltage when the button is presssed and when it is not pressed.

d) I applied some air pressure to the black tube that runs along the fire wall. I can see the baloon filling up but nothing exits from the rear window nozzle.

I hope one of you enthusiasts that is passionate about the 90s Fords can shed some light..please... :)

got me stuffed what ya mean by german black pump. but will see how my EB is err 'plumbed' & let you know. near the water reservoir there is tubes running from the heater/aircon unit to the heater tap & a plastic connecter fitted to the back of the inlet manifold. that connecter also has other black tubes running off it [which is used to apply vacuum]. pretty sure [without looking] that the plastic tubing for the rear window washer runs either along the subrails underneath the car or inside [i'm betting outside]. the only thing you don't appear to have done is disconnect tubing at rear to check for flow?

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

post pictures if possible

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:37 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

^^^ Good idea.
Sounds like the drivers side vacuum reservoir, and the fuel system purge solenoid get a good mention, but have no connection to the washer system.
There was very little change AFAIK to the EA-L wagon rear washer system - the hose runs from the washer motor along the passenger side chassis rail, then goes up through the floor past the LH taillight, up the D pillar to the nozzles.
As mentioned, pull the hose at the nozzles to check for flow as the nozzles can block up.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:19 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Wow! The puzzle is slowly coming together. Yes I will get some photos uploaded in a day or so.

MAD2
The black German made pump is on the passenger side, under the LEFT bonnet hinge. There is a little hidden bay which is hidden and covered up by the adjacent water reservoir.
Now listen to this! The German pump, (which is an absolute beautiful piece of engineering -photos to follow) has two rubber tube spouts: a white one and a black one. The black one is connected to the rubber hose that runs along the firewall and to the other side of the car (under the left bonnet hinge) and is connected to the black lung/baloon. The white one is connected to the rear window spray pump.
Again, this German pump has a connector with three wires. THERE IS NO POWER AT ANY OF THESE WIRES. (whereas you can sense 12V at the connector of the rear pump.
I pulled the German pump apart (there is a click on back plate that exposes the electrical connections) and found that it was full of water! BINGO! I thought that was the problem. No way would anyone place a solenoid and electrical connections in a space filled with water. WRONG!! This is designed to be filled with water. All the components are copper and other non rusting metals. (photo to follow)

SNAP0964
" drivers side vacuum reservoir, and the fuel system purge solenoid" :shock: :shock: :shock:
Now I am worried!:shock:
So why is it connected to this water German pump and the washer reservoir?
Admittedly it seemed strange that the black tube running from the German pump along the firewall has a T connector. One tube goes inside the car (near the air con controls) and the other goes to the lung.
"pull the hose at the nozzles to check for flow as the nozzles can block up"
How on earth do I remove the rear window nozzle? I inserted a fine wire in the hole and it is definitely not clogged.

I will take some photos. and maybe you can tell me where the tubes should be connected.
I admit that when I decided to fix the rear window spray I found the pump connector disconnected. I looked around for a possible connection point and the only one I found was on the hidden German pump. Everything seemed to fit well :roll:

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:29 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

brik32544 wrote:

does your car come with cruise control? cause that is where part of it sits.

NO .. nothing to do with it.

hopefully you will be able to see the correct tubing leaving from the water pump & going down then towards the rear.

no water should be going into the "german pump"

no water should be flowing into it either.

because it has nothing to do with the washer pump.

again because it has nothing to do with the washer pump.

with the heater there is two thin plastic tubes that are used to operate controls. green is for the heater tap & black is for the vacuum source.

black one connects to the plastic connector in next pic.

one shown is from a CPI motor [is on top of inlet manifold] but the connector is same on the MPI motors [is fitted to the rear of the inlet manifold].

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:06 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

brik32544 wrote:
MAD2
The black German made pump is on the passenger side, under the LEFT bonnet hinge. There is a little hidden bay which is hidden and covered up by the adjacent water reservoir.
Now listen to this! The German pump, (which is an absolute beautiful piece of engineering -photos to follow) has two rubber tube spouts: a white one and a black one. The black one is connected to the rubber hose that runs along the firewall and to the other side of the car (under the left bonnet hinge) and is connected to the black lung/baloon. The white one is connected to the rear window spray pump.
Again, this German pump has a connector with three wires. THERE IS NO POWER AT ANY OF THESE WIRES. (whereas you can sense 12V at the connector of the rear pump.
I pulled the German pump apart (there is a click on back plate that exposes the electrical connections) and found that it was full of water! BINGO! I thought that was the problem. No way would anyone place a solenoid and electrical connections in a space filled with water. WRONG!! This is designed to be filled with water. All the components are copper and other non rusting metals. (photo to follow)

as i have just mentioned - do you have cruise control on your car? does the steering wheel have these buttons on it?

brik32544 wrote:
SNAP0964
" drivers side vacuum reservoir, and the fuel system purge solenoid" :shock: :shock: :shock:
Now I am worried!:shock:
So why is it connected to this water German pump and the washer reservoir?
Admittedly it seemed strange that the black tube running from the German pump along the firewall has a T connector. One tube goes inside the car (near the air con controls) and the other goes to the lung.
"pull the hose at the nozzles to check for flow as the nozzles can block up"
How on earth do I remove the rear window nozzle? I inserted a fine wire in the hole and it is definitely not clogged.

I will take some photos. and maybe you can tell me where the tubes should be connected.
I admit that when I decided to fix the rear window spray I found the pump connector disconnected. I looked around for a possible connection point and the only one I found was on the hidden German pump. Everything seemed to fit well :roll:

the tube going into the cabin i'm presuming is for the cruise setup on brake pedal. open the tailgate & carefully remove the trim piece covering the fuel filler pipe. when removed you should see a small tube going thru the floor [as in pic]

it also goes up the pillar & out the top incased in a flexible tube by itself [next to one with wiring]. make sure it's all there & follow the tubing back along the underneath making sure it's all ridgy didgy [no kinks/cuts/squashed].

OR check out wiring/pump 1st & make sure that part works, then check the rest.

and yeah some pics of what you mean will helpout :mrgreen:

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Yeah, that's more like it, the cruise system is vacuum operated.
The rear washer system sounds like it's been played with - plug disconnected. The rear washer pump supplies a hose going to the rear, that's it.
You access the rear nozzles by taking off the high mount stop light cover, and pull off the access rubber. May not be your problem though - sort out the hose so the reservoir pump just feeds the hose to the rear, and reconnect the electrical plug, probably sitting right near the pump.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:34 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Wow, I might have messed things up! :( Need to get these photos uploaded! I will mark all the Tubes and cables so that it is clear which components are involved.

Yes my car has cruise control... :( and I have not used it for months (just as well), so I guess it makes a lot of sense that the German pump is involved in vacuum/air delivery and that it should not be filled with water :cry: Not having activated it means that I probably have not filled the rubber lines with water!! :oops:
Before writing on this forum I went to the wreckers and asked them how the rear window spray jet is connected. The guy(who seemed very experienced) said that the pump for the rear window is connected to a black box that he thought was for keeping the pressure in the line.

This whole thing started because my reservoir was emptying every time I filled it. So I checked and the tube from the rear window pump was hanging. I looked around and the only connector for that tube SEEMED to be the white nylon nozzle on the German pump. So I asked the wrecker and when he confirmed that the pump was attached to the black box I connected it and turned it on...flooding it! :cry:
But the next question is WHY is the german pump white nozzle unconnected and why is it that I can't find the tube that goes to the rear window? :?:
Later today I'll get the photos... :roll:

Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

brik32544 wrote:
Wow, I might have messed things up! :( Need to get these photos uploaded! I will mark all the Tubes and cables so that it is clear which components are involved.

hopefully not :lol:

brik32544 wrote:
Yes my car has cruise control... :( and I have not used it for months (just as well), so I guess it makes a lot of sense that the German pump is involved in vacuum/air delivery and that it should not be filled with water :cry: Not having activated it means that I probably have not filled the rubber lines with water!! :oops:
Before writing on this forum I went to the wreckers and asked them how the rear window spray jet is connected. The guy(who seemed very experienced) said that the pump for the rear window is connected to a black box that he thought was for keeping the pressure in the line.

well you have learnt something there :evil: be careful who you ask re help :mrgreen:

brik32544 wrote:
This whole thing started because my reservoir was emptying every time I filled it. So I checked and the tube from the rear window pump was hanging. I looked around and the only connector for that tube SEEMED to be the white nylon nozzle on the German pump. So I asked the wrecker and when he confirmed that the pump was attached to the black box I connected it and turned it on...flooding it! :cry:
But the next question is WHY is the german pump white nozzle unconnected and why is it that I can't find the tube that goes to the rear window? :?:
Later today I'll get the photos... :roll:

either the tube has been disturbed when you have been doing something around there or cruise hasn't worked for a long time.

i have showed you where it starts from the water reservoir & where it goes up the rear c pillar. have a look under the rear of the car on the passenger side where i mentioned & you should at least see some of it still there. the hose/tube then travels along the inner sill [not sure if it clips on or goes thru the sill] & it then comes up where the fuel lines change [from solid to flexible] to the water reservoir.

Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:56 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Let's see if I can at least load up these photos without making a mess. :(

Attachment:
File comment: Crappy photo. Too much sun!. Anyway on the right side of the reservoir you will see a small hole. The German made pump is boltred to the under side of this plate, fully hidden.
IMG_2033 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2033 (Medium).JPG [ 104.95 KiB | Viewed 235 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: This is ONE of the tubes that come off the German pump. Here is a T connector where one tube goes inside the car and the other goes to the rubber lung
IMG_2036 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2036 (Medium).JPG [ 91.16 KiB | Viewed 249 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: This is the German made pump
IMG_2037 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2037 (Medium).JPG [ 105.42 KiB | Viewed 242 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: This is how the pump sits on the right side of the water reservoir. Note that there are two spouts. The black spout was connected to the tube that runs alonmg the firewall(shown in picture above) however the white spout had no tube attached and is perfectly within reach of the tube that came from the rear window pump attached to the reservoir
IMG_2038 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2038 (Medium).JPG [ 81.04 KiB | Viewed 232 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Note how both spouts have a t junction with tubes that feed to the back of the pump
IMG_2039 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2039 (Medium).JPG [ 108.56 KiB | Viewed 230 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Note how it is supplied by three wires
IMG_2040 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2040 (Medium).JPG [ 123.99 KiB | Viewed 241 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: An absolute jewel of a design. This is the inside of the German pump. The lid is just pressed in, indicating a low pressure operation.
IMG_2042 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2042 (Medium).JPG [ 115.15 KiB | Viewed 236 times ]

So let me summarise the sequence of events:

1) Rear window washer was not working and the reservoir was leaking
2) I removed the reservoir and vound the tube from the pump was hanging loose
3) I looked around for a transparent tube (assuming the rear window tube was the same colour as the front window tube) and could not find any lose tube or connector within the reach of this.
4) The only spout available and unconnected is the white spout of the German pump so I connected it :oops:
5) I turned on the rear window washer and I could hear the pump but no water arrived at rear window
6)I suddenly realised that maybe I had stuffed things up and went to the wrecker and without me saying anything about the German pump, he told me that the rear pump was connected to a black box. He thought it was to hold the pressure. Bingo. I thought I had the right connections :|
7) At this pointy the german pump is flooded. I gently apply air pressure from a compressor to the german pump and I can see and hear the rubber lung filling.
8) I dismantle the pump and remove all the water. I checked the power at the 3 pronged connector and found no power, not even when the rear window washer button is pressed.
9) I test the pump and it works. One wire turns on the pump and the second wire activates a solenoid that shuts the air supply to the black spout
10) I ask for assistance on this forum :oops: Yes I know this should have been step 1) :roll:

So now, I have TWO other problems.
a) I cannot find the tube that goes to the back of the car
b) where is the tube that connects to the white spout of the German pump?

The tube from the water reservoir pump is the only one that (I can see and) reaches the white spout

I will try to clean and shine some light light in the area near the water reservoir and take more photos. If nothing else, it will help other forum users NOT to make my stupid mistakes :(

Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:31 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

brik32544 wrote:
I will try to clean and shine some light light in the area near the water reservoir and take more photos. If nothing else, it will help other forum users NOT to make my stupid mistakes :(

what your showing i'm pretty sure is the cruise pump [would have to find mine as has been removed from car] which connects up with other side & inside. the rest of the tube for the rear window is somewhere under the car & as mentioned comes up near taillights on passenger side [but will need to remove trim to see it inside]. will try & do some shots from the factory book re cruise setup in engine bay.

cheers

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Thank you Mad2!!
I also tried to find some info on my ED manual but can't find anything useful. One would need the original FORD SERVICE MANUAL. I looked for it online but can only find the dodgy aftermarket manuals which are pretty useless.

Maybe the white spout on the pump should be unconnected as it maybe the air inlet...but it seems strange that they have not placed some sort of filter or cover on it to stop dirt and insects nesting and clogging it. :roll:

Anyway I will have to see if I can find the rubber tube that should be within reach of the reservoir pump. :(

Given that I had erroneously filled the German pump with water I might spray it with some WD40. Fortunately it still works. Once I install it again, I will test the cruise control which I have not used for years.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:51 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

brik32544 wrote:
Thank you Mad2!!

your welcome :mrgreen:

I also tried to find some info on my ED manual but can't find anything useful. One would need the original FORD SERVICE MANUAL. I looked for it online but can only find the dodgy aftermarket manuals which are pretty useless.

went thru mine & hope it helps coz i will need it when i refit mine :roll:

Maybe the white spout on the pump should be unconnected as it maybe the air inlet...but it seems strange that they have not placed some sort of filter or cover on it to stop dirt and insects nesting and clogging it. :roll:

Anyway I will have to see if I can find the rubber tube that should be within reach of the reservoir pump. :(

Given that I had erroneously filled the German pump with water I might spray it with some WD40. Fortunately it still works. Once I install it again, I will test the cruise control which I have not used for years.

my german pump :lol:

hope it helps ya.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

That is pure GOLD! Thank you MAD2.

The diagram clearly shows that the white spout is NOT connected to anything. It is the air inlet and it should not be connected to any tube!
This means I now have to see if I can drain any water that might have found its way past the pump and into the air lines that control the cruise control :roll:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next