Fordmods Logo

Moding a FG XR6 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Moding a FG XR6
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:14 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: FG XR6

VIC, Australia

I'm thinking of moding my FG.. but waiting for the new car warranty to run out, heres what i gathered from a few people in the buisness,

"The FG XR6 engine is pretty well tuned form the factory.
I would suggest just fitting a cat back system and a hi flow air filter.
Then do a custom tune.
Don’t worry about the headers and the cat, put that money toward a tune.
For air box, just fit the FG XR8 base & intake pipe.

The stainless cat back system is $1200.00 fitted.
The K & N air filter is $100.00.
A custom tune is $1500.00."

now i asked him about the extractors and cat, still awaiting a reply.
Also another source told me
"the Computer only needs a reprogram, not a chip, in the FG."
the cams apparently are pretty good, but they could go with an upgrade further down the track.

im still thinking what eles to do, but basically what i was looking at was:
-Cat Back
-XR8 Air Box
-K&N Air Filter
-Custom Tune
-Extractors
-200CPSI cat
-Better Cams
-Better Diff Ratio
-King Springs
Prolly gunna cost round the 8K mark then my baby will be nutz
pumped, but the waiting game sucks :-(

anything im missing? lol

Post subject: Re: Moding a FG XR6
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

the way i see it is stuff like exhausts and intakes shouldn't void the warranty. but if you start flash tuning, thats a different story

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

lyndonbt88 wrote:

And you'll still get smashed by a stock turbo with a light tune.

let me ask you something. Why did you guy the FG?
Was it because it was new or was it for the comfort and smoothness that the FG is renowned for?
And How much of of the car are you willing to sacrifice for some N/A power? You've got a very smooth ride with excellent high speed cruzing. Once you start messing around with diff gears, cams and the like you will have a car that is a fair bit different than the car you originally bought, and you might not end up liking it.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:01 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
lyndonbt88 wrote:

And you'll still get smashed by a stock turbo with a light tune.

let me ask you something. Why did you guy the FG?
Was it because it was new or was it for the comfort and smoothness that the FG is renowned for?
And How much of of the car are you willing to sacrifice for some N/A power? You've got a very smooth ride with excellent high speed cruzing. Once you start messing around with diff gears, cams and the like you will have a car that is a fair bit different than the car you originally bought, and you might not end up liking it.

ok first i'd say that is a brilliant question. but there is something about a fast car without forced
induction that to me seems somewhat heroic.. its like if you ever play a video game and everyone chooses the best character and you choose the worst and win.. thats where for me it is part of my motivation. i know turbos fkn rule and i was looking at getting one later..
the other side of the story with a turbo was infact... like playing GTA with all the cheats on.. you know. (plus im on my P's, so no turbos :-( )

in the end of it all i like the FG for its effortless power, of of the best 6cyl cars in aus.
although my mate was telling me a 6cyl aurion sportivo 4wd smash them.. (stock).

yeah i love my ride, good sound system, nice and smooth, fun to drive, really tight at the wheel. yeah and i am worried that the ride i love, may turn into a monster, so what imn doing is gathering all the intell and opinions i can before crunch time happends.

lol, also i even went and got my tires filled with nitrogen, and it seems to make a very minor difference.. Ecspecially on road heat/noise on long trips. i do reconmed it aswell.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: FG 50th Anni G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

8k is a lot to spend on an NA falcon, if you are going to be chasing power.

You have the list pretty spot on, it would do diff gears last (IMO) alot of people will indicate this is almost the best "Bang for buck mod" but its also one of the bigger changes. Higher cruising RPM, faster takes off's, worse fuel economy.

Do you intake, exhaust, tune mods first. Then stiffen it up with some king springs, and i think you will be fairly happy. Cam's are a pricey change, and dont offer great value for money, but are necessary as you want more power.

If you are chasing power, save the 8k, wait till you are off your P's and buy a Turbo. I love my Turbo, and if you want to drive slowly/cruise/preserve fuel you can, but you can also light up the tyres with a downshift into second which is something you never get bored of.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Yeah sounds good, one vital thing i missed was the "brakes"
but yeah turbo, would be the way to go.. but as i said sad thing was i cant get a turbo coz of my P's
if i had of waited about 6 months and spent extra, would have been good, but i love my na/6.

but the best thing bout getting a turbo later, is you can choose a better after market turbo, with more boost.. but you risk wearing out your car earlier, and i plan on keeping this baby for a bit.

main thing i love about the ford 6 is the engine bay is you have heaps of room to add and fiddle :-D

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

ok where to start. if you add an exhaust, you will need a tune due to the secondary o2 sensor. looking at your list i would suggest the v8 airbox first. ive already done this to my g6e, the difference was noticable under throttle, with revs coming on faster and better induction noise. remember to remove the restrictor while your at it. if you have to have a k+n filter, add it then, although there are other brands besides k+n, who i find overpriced. second thing id look at is springs, lowering mine cost about $300 at an ian diffen ttf centre. ring around and get quotes first though, mine varied from $300 to about $800. after that, save your cash, and let the warranty run. in one hit get extractors, cat, and exhaust fitted. talk the guy down on a cash deal, and look online for bargains. i got a twin 2.5 inch stainless manta exhaust for $250 on ebay, and extractors for $200 on ebay again with a hi flow cat thrown in. fitting ran me $150 cash on a saturday morning after a few phone calls to exhaust guys. once your exhaust is fitted, the o2 sensor will got off like a virgin at a strip show, so its time for a tune. the fg is already fairly well tuned, so i only went a generic tune for approx $700. you can if you have cash go the custom but if your going to add stuff still why spend unnecessary folding stuff. this is where i would suggest evaluating what you have, what you want, and then talking to the major players in the tuning scene. for us here in wa its bpt motrsport. they can put you on the path of better injectors, cams, crank, and the like.

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:09 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

thanks for that man, helps a bit.

other thing i heard is never flash tune coz ford pick up up :-(

Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FGX XR6 N/A

QLD, Australia

Totally agreed.

I have a FGX XR6 N/A. Loved it. I bought it because it was the only Ford rear wheel drive sedan with a 6 cylinder available in Australia at the moment. I needed a sedan so Mustang won't do the job and I only wanted a Ford. My wife was on L plate and will be on P plate so I can't get XR6T anyway.

I loved it because it's got a lot of room, it's comfy, it's got potential for more power as you can see the new FGX XR6T sprint had so much power only being stock.

I've done a cat back exhaust by local exhaust shop. It is loud now but as time passed by, I started to hate the sound of it. I'm looking forward of buying a new cat back exhaust either Streetfighter or XForce.

I've got a K&N air filter but I'm looking for a XR8 air box as well. Not sure if the intake hose will fit on the stock throttle body. Does anyone knows about it? Can I just buy the entire kit and plug it in?

I was planning for some good coil overs to lower the car and give it better handling on corners with the help of some good performance sway bars front & back.

Also looking to install some good Bremboo brake calipers and rotors, similar set up as the new Sprints.

After that will be installing aftermarket turbo, good engine tune and all the work needed for engine to get more power.

Last thing on the list would be the diff.

Didn't mind of buying a N/A because the real fun of setting up the car is to get everything done the way you wanted it to be.

Any more suggestions?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]