Fordmods Logo

More power out of 175kw au1 fairmont ghia 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: More power out of 175kw au1 fairmont ghia
Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: tickford 98 fairmont

NSW, Australia

Hey im looking to extract some more power out of my fairmont ghia v8 it has only minor mods being exhaust 4into 1 headers into 2.5in twins into 3.5in centre section into 3in hotdog an 3in tailpipe..tickford 17in wheels...i want to bring it up to at least XR performance
Is it worth swapping my exhaust for a standard xr8 twin system an can i use the BAs twin exhaust which are a bit more common
Are the 175kw detuned or is it due to exhaust an extractors to get the extra 25kw bringing it up to 200kw spec
Im thinking of better extractors ,a j3 chip, an a cam to suit my current 1.6 ratio to make the most performance an get her sounding a bit tuffer or would a simple regrind be better for a 175kw motor....whats gona make the most noticeable diffrence

Post subject: Re: More power out of 175kw au1 fairmont ghia
Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:38 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Get rid of the headers,4 into 1 are losing low down torque,get some tri y,better for low down grunt or some xr8 stock headers and a k and n with an extra air intake,i use a flexi 3 inch pipe to the front of the car,plumbed to the lower box.
2.5 inch single straight through exhaust will be fine on a 175kw and wont be restrictive until you are running mid- low 14s,i know this from previous experience.
I would get some 1.72 roller rockers with the stock cam and a tune and diff gears,3.9 are perfect.
These mods should get you well into the 14 seconds range at the drags and easily up over 200rwhp,ive played with windsors for years and have done these mods to all of my cars.
If you go any larger than the stock cam youll need a stall to get the most out of it.
Even the stock auto 200 and 220 kw cars are slugs off the mark with the stock convertor.
200kw xr8 made the extra power with a slightly higher lift and more duration cam,1.72 rockers and a tune/extractors,exhaust
Im sure everyone has better ideas than me but I only recommend what has worked for me over the last 10- 12 years.
The stock xr8 twin system is rubbish,it weighs a ton and uses reverse flow mufflers,they flow about as good as a hit in the head...

Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

would there be any power gain in changing my 1.6 stock rockers to 1.72 rr's an also can i just regrind my stock 175kw ghia cam or just buy another..
what cam works best for the 175kw ghia motors...after mid range gains

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:38 am 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Around 10hp roughly give or take changing to 1.72 rockers.

Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:33 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

From memory it adds around 30-40 thou lift on the cam,happy to be corrected if im off the mark.
Im pretty sure i remember martin from crow cams telling me this years ago when I got rockers for my eb.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

i heard regrinds were a little cheaper than buying another cam ?
anyone familiar with b&g performane at nth richmond..they were working on a blown sigma that was off da chain .so i know they know there s**t but i mentioned an e303 cam an he wasnt aware of them??
i just want my ghia to sound a bit meaner .
Also how can i check what diff ratio i have ,i know it should be 3.25 but want to check ,what cars have the ford 3.73 diff ratio

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:12 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

vortex98 wrote:
Also how can i check what diff ratio i have ,i know it should be 3.25 but want to check ,what cars have the ford 3.73 diff ratio

to check have a look at the drivers side of the diff ... there should be a sticker on there mentioning what ratio . . . unless you have IRS & then it's on the diff centre housing.

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Port lower intake manifold and change to 1.72 rockers, 24lb injectors, at least high flow cats and full exhaust, panel filter and tune. That's basically all the mods I've done to my 200kw motor and it's way better than stock. (I also did crane valve springs, modded airbox but for hp those are minimal).

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:24 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

It should already have 24 pound injectors unless it's a very early AUI. Easy to tell though as the 24's are blue, the 19's are orange.

And you shouldn't need to change injectors anyway with just a few basic mods. They will handle it.

And new injectors require a re-tune.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]