ECM Replacement in a 1998 EL Falcon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: ECM Replacement in a 1998 EL Falcon
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon EL

WA, Australia

Hi there,

I have limited mechanical know how and usually have a mechanic tackle all repairs on my EL. I have recently had a string of problems with the car and I'm hoping someone who has the knowledge can help answer my current issue.

Rundown of problems:

My ELhad been running well (low kms and has been serviced regularly from new)then it decided not to start, it would turn over fine but not catch. RAC was called and the guy said he thought I was the fuel pump even though bashing the tank with a mallet didn't get a response.

Towed it to the mechanic and of course she started right away, got fuel pump done anyway as he thought would have been this. Ran fine few weeks then wouldn't start again, mechanic had told me if it did it again put an old plug in a lead, if no spark when turning over was probably the distributor. Did this, no spark, towed it in again.

Replaced distributor and coil too while he was down there, got it back and noticed it was running a little rough. Took it back, he said computer said power steering switch was failing so had that done.

Got it back and it was still running little rough and seemed to be loosing power. He put it on computer again and said it started telling him that different parts were failing each time he plugged it in, including things he had already repaired and now he thinks the ECM was shot as it was sending out all the wrong signals and car was now running rougher than ever and stalling.

He said they don't make the ECM new anymore and I would have to try and find one second hand somewhere but they would be easy to fit by myself once I did, just to make sure I got the right part by matching the part numbers on the unit.

So I got it home and pulled out the old one,there is a white sticker on the plug part of ECM on the side facing toward the outside of the car with a bar code and a bunch of numbers on it,also the Ford emblem, it reads: 6DBD above the bar code and 96DA-12A650-BD below with another series of smaller numbers to the right of that.

I found a second hand ECM online and all of the numbers on the white sticker are an exact match to the unit I am removing. It was not until I had bought it and taken it home I realized there was also a bunch of numbers on the other side of the plug in section of the ECM, they are small type and pink, the top line of the numbers are followed by the letters OSRAM and the second line is followed by SYLVANIA.

These pink numbers do not match my unit but the OSRAM and SYLVANIA parts are on both. I am now wondering if I have messed up and grabbed the wrong part and the pink numbers are the ones that should match up not the white sticker numbers? .....or perhaps the pink numbers were just a serial number unique to the individual part? and it was still the correct ECM to use for my car?

I don't want to put it in and do more damage, does anyone know what I am talking about and can tell me which are the vital set of numbers I need to match up on the plug in part of the ECM, the white sticker with the Ford logo or the small pink numbers on the other side?

Hopefully that all made sense and thanks in advance for any answers

Post subject: Re: ECM Replacement in a 1998 EL Falcon
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:56 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Do you mean ECU? The part behind the kick panel on the passenger side?

If so, have a look at this thread
ef-el-ecu-catch-codes-t30186.html

Looks like you have the right one.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Yes, the metal box behind the kick panel on the passenger side. It was called an ECM on the description when I bought the part online so I went with that..lol I really have limited knowledge beyond the basic.

I did have a look at that post you linked before I decided to join up here and ask someone directly and it seemed like it was right at the time as all the numbers on the white sticker (which seem to be those listed on the post) matched up exactly but then those pink numbers on the other side not matching up threw me a little and I can't find mention of them anywhere.

Do you know if it will cause any damage if I hook it up and it is not the right part?

Thanks for answering and posting the link, really appreciate it

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I think it should be fine as long as the catch code matches your old one...but I am not 100% sure. Just make sure you unplug the battery before you start.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

No worries, thanks again for taking the time to reply. Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]