Fordmods Logo

98 el xr6- convert from manual to auto questions. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: 98 el xr6- convert from manual to auto questions.
Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EL xr6 '98

VIC, Australia

Hi first time poster long time reader
Had a brief search of the forums but to no avail so please go easy on me if this has been answered before

I have a 98 el xr6 manual that has just recently bent my pedal box bad, aswell as bending my clutch fork that holds the trust bearing. this was after reinforcing the firewall that had torn a hole 2 weeks earlier.
What I'm planning to do is convert from t5 manual to auto as I'm sick of stuff breaking every so often
Also want a hassle free car to tow with

Now I'm gonna have to pull the t5 out so I thought I'd just pull the whole motor out with it and reseal a couple leaks I have ie. Rear main, sump, timing case gaskets.

While I have it out I will swap the t5 off the motor and bolt the auto back in its place (sourced from an auto ef gli donor car)

So my questions are:
Would the el ecu (manual) be fine with auto gearbox or should I use the auto ef ecu?

If I use the ef ecu will I need to change looms? My car is running a distributor will that have any adverse effects being that the ef is coil packs?
Cheers in advance

Post subject: Re: 98 el xr6- convert from manual to auto questions.
Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Sephjr wrote:
Hi first time poster long time reader
Had a brief search of the forums but to no avail so please go easy on me if this has been answered before

I have a 98 el xr6 manual that has just recently bent my pedal box bad, aswell as bending my clutch fork that holds the trust bearing. this was after reinforcing the firewall that had torn a hole 2 weeks earlier.
What I'm planning to do is convert from t5 manual to auto as I'm sick of stuff breaking every so often
Also want a hassle free car to tow with

Now I'm gonna have to pull the t5 out so I thought I'd just pull the whole motor out with it and reseal a couple leaks I have ie. Rear main, sump, timing case gaskets.

While I have it out I will swap the t5 off the motor and bolt the auto back in its place (sourced from an auto ef gli donor car)

So my questions are:
Would the el ecu (manual) be fine with auto gearbox or should I use the auto ef ecu?

If I use the ef ecu will I need to change looms? My car is running a distributor will that have any adverse effects being that the ef is coil packs?
Cheers in advance

Get an EL auto ECU, there should be heaps out there. I have an EL 1998 Ghia ECU here that has the Tickford fuel mapping.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]